Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 1 2013, 11:10 PM   #91
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
When he fell asleep and got bored by a science fiction movie.
Too fucking bad for him. Tells me he's just as stupid as I think he is.

TOS wasn't targeted just at kids. It was meant as an adult level SF adventure/drama with broad appeal. So all it proves is that JJ is just as juvenile and shallow as the films he makes.
Do you read what you type before hitting 'submit? Because what you posted here is flat ridiculous whether you like Abrams or not. The man has been working quite successfully in Hollywood for a while now on both TV and the movie side of things and owns a highly successful production company.

I also don't see liking The Motion Picture as some type of litmus test for being able to make good TV/movies. Hell, there's a good chunk of the fanbase that don't like it.

You really need to dial back your reactions over J.J. Abrams and Star Trek 2009, you're just embarrassing yourself when you fly off the handle because someone mentions wanting it included in a book about a FICTIONAL universe.
Old April 1 2013, 11:19 PM   #92
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

TOS wasn't targeted just at kids. It was meant as an adult level SF adventure/drama with broad appeal. So all it proves is that JJ is just as juvenile and shallow as the films he makes.
Do you read what you type before hitting 'submit? Because what you posted here is flat ridiculous whether you like Abrams or not. The man has been working quite successfully in Hollywood for a while now on both TV and the movie side of things and owns a highly successful production company.

I also don't see liking The Motion Picture as some type of litmus test for being able to make good TV/movies. Hell, there's a good chunk of the fanbase that don't like it.

You really need to dial back your reactions over J.J. Abrams and Star Trek 2009, you're just embarrassing yourself when you fly off the handle because someone mentions wanting it included in a book about a FICTIONAL universe.
So what? I know exactly what I wrote and don't apologize for any of it. I've never liked one single thing JJ has done so why should I cut him any slack?

I already said I don't really care if they include his shit in the chronology because I won't buy it anyway (if there ever is another).

And I'm not embarrassed for stating my opinion about a director du jour and the pap he cranks out. Millions might throw money at him in support of his work, but millions do things every day I would never even consider doing.

This emperor has no clothes and I'm not shy to say it.
Old April 1 2013, 11:22 PM   #93
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

You just seem to put a lot of energy into hating someone you say you don't care about...
Old April 1 2013, 11:42 PM   #94
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I saw Tim Burton's Batman (1989) twice in theaters, and fell asleep both times.
Old April 2 2013, 12:01 AM   #95
Johnny
Commander

I'm not going to join in the all-out JJ-non/bashing, although it does make for an interesting read, however I will say that I don't believe Abrams is the best director on the planet, as I find his vision on film making somewhat limited.

As far as storytelling goes, XI wasn't particularly great, exciting at first as a concept but when analysed I believe it feels more like an intro than a stand alone story. Whether the films are liked or not, TUC and Gen, I believe had the best story concepts, they were interesting, had twists and turns and generally kept interest. I don't believe XI stepped up to that mark, nor showed much depth, which is why I don't have much will to watch it again.

I think from what I've read and understood from peoples opinions from many, many different places, is that XI is so far from what has been known previously that people struggle to find a common ground with both of them, not just in narrative but it technology, special effects and generally accepted science of the show. I understand that it's a re-boot, and everything is open to change, but I believe even a small pull-back of the changes to leave something a little more familiar for current fans may have quelled a lot of the rejection that's being seen.

When it comes to my own opinions of the new films, if the history of something is going to be re-made/changed then it must be an exceptional story that cannot be done any other way, otherwise you might as well have translated it forward and preserved the timeline that was already there. XI, I believe could have easily been translated (with the understanding that characters motivations, etc would change.), and it would have made a better story. Always move forward, I believe.

Anyway, since it's already been done and the question is seems to be more about meshing the two universes, I feel more at ease knowing that it is very separate, where that point diverges is the only thing that causes me grief as I don't believe it's laid out very well in the film.

As for the official chronology of it all, I actually find all the contradictions and little errors quite an interesting read, and I don't think it would be half as interesting if it was perfect. There's so much information out there that is as a result of these sorts of things, that I'm really not sure what I'd be doing if I didn't have it all to rummage through.
Old April 2 2013, 12:10 AM   #96
RAMA
Vice Admiral

He WAS a boy, and LOTS of adults fell asleep to it.
Old April 2 2013, 01:03 AM   #97
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

You just seem to put a lot of energy into hating someone you say you don't care about...
Somebody pissing all over something he cares about, that's worth some ire.

On THIS, I agree with him rather strongly (and having said that, keep in mind that he and I disagree about a whole lot shit, as in, there's no love lost between us. or am I confusing this poster with INDYSOLO? I know one of them is no fan of mine. It's been a long time since I was a regular here. )

Regardless, Bond and TREK have both died for me this century, so I DO get where he's at, in spades.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:41 AM   #98
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Its hardly "pissing all over something he cares about". That sort of hyperbole is why folks can't take the anti-JJ brigade seriously.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:52 AM   #99
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Actually, all it "proves" is that TMP was a poorly executed, boring mess of a film with no sense of pacing.

To say nothing of the fact that the idea that JJ liking or disliking any one film - Trek or otherwise - is some kind of "thumbs up/thumbs down" measure that informs of us his maturity level is ludicrous.

Musings and randomness
My solitary Trek fic
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:18 AM   #100
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

And JJ has actually said he felt Trek should be more like Star Wars.
Yes, he wants it to be as blockbustingly popular as movies. It should appeal to little kids and make them and to buy action figures.

In that interview, he was remembering back to when he was a boy, taken to the gala premiere of ST:TMP at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in December 1979. When he fell asleep and got bored by a science fiction movie.
Well hell, J.J. shouldn't feel weird - that happened to a lot of adults who tried to watch ST:TMP.

TOS wasn't targeted just at kids. It was meant as an adult level SF adventure/drama with broad appeal.
If it was supposed to be any of those things - "adult," "adventure/drama," "broad appeal" - it failed in every respect.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:33 AM   #101
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Honestly ... I see nuTrek as a natural progression from TOS. Both are clearly products of their times, steeped in a contemporary aesthetic, aimed at broad appeal, and containing a deeper subtext that allows viewers to contemplate the story beyond the confines of the original presentation (if they so choose).
Old April 2 2013, 02:35 AM   #102
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well certainly nuTrek's a good deal more like TOS in most respects than ST:TMP was.

You're not shy. You're wrong.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; April 2 2013 at 02:55 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:38 AM   #103
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

pfft no. I hate the idea of "Chronology and Canon" in fictional mediums. 1. Because it's not real, and 2. and because everything is going to change in the future and mix up the details and make things contradictory. "James R. Kirk rather than James T. Kirk" for example. I care about and believe what "I" See. For example When I watch various star trek shows, what I don't like get's stricken from my personal belief of what the Star Trek canon is. I don't like TMP, Generations and Nemesis so I remove them from the canon, they don't exist to "me". It's stuff like Canon/Continuity that starts the infinite fan rage arguments and frankly it's irritating.
Old April 2 2013, 03:52 AM   #104
Warped9
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You're not shy. You're wrong.
In your opinion.

Well certainly nuTrek's a good deal more like TOS in most respects than ST-TMP.
This keeps getting repeated and simply convinces me those who say it weren't watching the same show others were watching.

Why do I have such a strong reaction against this film? Because it offends me. Star Trek TOS is my all-time favourite series. In the '70s I like many others wished the series more respect than it often got. It was a long road before it was brought back (setting aside that when it returned it wasn't always what we'd hoped for).

Now along comes JJ with his offensively shallow and juvenile take on it to perpetuate the misconception that it was always shallow and juvenile. What an ignorant asshole.

I've seen lots of bad films and some of them reboots of things I didn't really care about. I could criticize those without being offended because I didn't really care about the originals. But rebooting TOS in such an insultingly shallow manner really burns my ass.

Yeah, JJ will still make a bundle on it. And I hope he chokes on it.

Last edited by Warped9; April 2 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 04:07 AM   #105
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Well certainly nuTrek's a good deal more like TOS in most respects than ST-TMP.
This keeps getting repeated and simply convinces me those who say it weren't watching the same show others were watching.
Oh please. At best, TMP was derivative. They tried to do a Trek version of 2001, all while recycling the glacial plotting of "The Changeling."

I liked TMP just fine, for what it was (an attempt to present Trek in a different, more cerebral and ponderous light), but for it be held as some pinnacle of Trek? Or as representative of what Trek had been in TOS? Folks must have a pretty low standard for Trek to begin with (not to mention a short memory for what the majority of TOS actually was in comparison to TMP).