Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: How do you rate 7x06 "The Bells of St John"?
Poor 2 1.43%
Okay 18 12.86%
Good 21 15.00%
Great 39 27.86%
Outstanding 42 30.00%
Geronimo!! 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1 2013, 05:02 AM   #151
ROBE
Commander

Re: 7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

I have to laugh at some fans calling the show childish compared to RTD's day.
So farting aliens are mature?
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:05 AM   #152
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Good call, but for me (and this is just me being nitpicky), a real bottle episode is one that uses pre-existing sets, and they are often some of my favorites. One that always stands out to me is TNG's "Disaster." Lots of stuff happening, but it's all on board the Enterprise.
It helps when you have more than one room for a set.
Sure, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to do with just one room.
Doesn't mean you should either!

I think more than most shows the TARDIS is basically just a means to get from A-to-B.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:07 AM   #153
RoJoHen
Awesome

As with everything, it depends on the story.
Old April 1 2013, 05:07 AM   #154
BlakeCrichton
Cadet

I admit to some surprise that there is a George Orwell aficionado in this thread and I'm the only guy connecting some diverse notions, like "The Bells of St. Johns" reminds me terribly of

"Oranges and lemons, say the bells of Saint Clemmons" the nursery rhyme dimly recollected by Winston Smith, and this episode of DW references the plethora of cameras in London, and the Great Intelligence even has a rather 'Big Brother-esque" cameo.

Joined to say that. All the reviews talk about how the episode title was promptly forgotten after ten minutes, but I snapped immediately to Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-four and was watching sharply for related social commentary. And was not disappointed.

But who knows?
BlakeCrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:36 AM   #155
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
They're the same character is what I'm saying.
You must not be truly aware of either then, they really don't have much in common.
They both blubber around like twits and make me a bit ashamed to call myself a fan of either franchise.
Are you aware that you don't have to watch the show?

Also if any Doctor was close to Jar Jar, it was the 2nd. It's an incredibly poor analogy, but that's as close as possible to him. Close in the sense that Earth is close to the Sun.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:38 AM   #156
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Also if any Doctor was close to Jar Jar, it was the 2nd.
Didn't Smith say at some point that he's based his performance on the 2nd?
Old April 1 2013, 05:39 AM   #157
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Also if any Doctor was close to Jar Jar, it was the 2nd.
Didn't Smith say at some point that he's based his performance on the 2nd?
Seems about right, he plays the Doctor like a toned down 2nd Doctor with the more alien aspects of the 4th.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Old April 1 2013, 07:31 AM   #158
Ghost Bones
Captain

You must not be truly aware of either then, they really don't have much in common.
They both blubber around like twits and make me a bit ashamed to call myself a fan of either franchise.
Yes, someone or other always mentions it whenever I post. I have addressed the question numerous times, and I'm not sure you're really interested in the answer.
Also if any Doctor was close to Jar Jar, it was the 2nd. It's an incredibly poor analogy, but that's as close as possible to him. Close in the sense that Earth is close to the Sun.
I strongly disagree. I don't think there's a more similar character to Matt Smith's "Doctor" in all of fiction than Jar Jar Binks.
Old April 1 2013, 09:13 AM   #159
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

Yes, someone or other always mentions it whenever I post. I have addressed the question numerous times, and I'm not sure you're really interested in the answer.
I strongly disagree. I don't think there's a more similar character to Matt Smith's "Doctor" in all of fiction than Jar Jar Binks.
You keep saying it, doesn't make it any more cleaver or even accurate. Nice try though.
Old April 1 2013, 10:47 AM   #160
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I've just taken to skipping Bones posts entirely. Every week they're pretty much the same tired snark.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 10:57 AM   #161
Starkers
Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post
ThankQ wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
This was the ep that cemented Matt Smith as my favourite Doctor since McCoy. Eccleston and Tennant were intentionally less eccentric, less alien and more accessible for The Saturda
I thought about this too while watching this episode. I thought back to Tom Baker saying he would do things that were decidedly un-human since the character is an alien. Smith made me think that with little things he does, tasting the leaf, reacting with disgust at the idea of snogging someone everyone alive would snog, and various other little "alien" actions.
All of that would've been fine and worked better if it were the 3rd Doctor. But the 3rd wasn't befuddled by any of this stuff when he started living on Earth. He wasn't confused about human's, jobs, money, women or courting women. Why should he be? He'd already had at least one child of his own.

So watching 11 mentally revert to someone who act's like they've just arrived on Earth is somewhat annoying at times. Thankfully Smith has the talent to make it bearable, if not funny. However, after interacting with humans for roughly 600 years, and given that 3 wasn't as confused, then the older 11 shouldn't be stumped by a single thing in the area of "humans".
But he's centuries older and has regenerated 8 times since he was three, given regeneration seems to rewire his brain at least a little I'm surprised he isn't more scatterbrained/forgetful than he is. I don't recall everything I've done in my 42 years and I've spent it on the same planet in the same era!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 11:12 AM   #162
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I've just taken to skipping Bones posts entirely. Every week they're pretty much the same tired snark.
word.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:10 PM   #163
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Does he still post? I thought he had left. Oh well.

The episode: it was nice. Very Black Mirror, wasn't it? When does Charlie Brooker write an episode, by the way?
Old April 1 2013, 12:16 PM   #164
Konata Izumi
Commander

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
^If that's the case, then I believe they spent lots of money for something that looked and felt like what RTD did for much less. As a producer of "The Bells of St. John", I would find that pretty embarrassing. It's the definition of waste.
When did you last see an RTD episode, and does your display affect the quality? They were almost always shot very plainly and roughly.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Russell T. Davies would open a series with gawdy, tacky cack like New Earth. A story which (Forgetting the toilet paper of a script!), is horrible for wasting a ton of money on a landscape shot of a futuristic city for no reason other than trailer time. The Doctor stares at it and then says "But actually, I'd rather go somewhere else!", before the action of the episode takes place entirely in a garish white hospital.
It sets the mood. Of future city. And is followed upon quite sufficiently with cat people.

ROBE wrote: View Post
I have to laugh at some fans calling the show childish compared to RTD's day.
So farting aliens are mature?
Yes, despite the show generally being less mature back then...
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:17 PM   #165
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I really like the episode but heckling Ghost Bones for not liking it is kinda unreasonable. That's how the mindless JJ Abrams fanboys in the other section act, I thought we were more tolerant of minority opinions in here?

I think people should be entitled to like or dislike it as much as they want.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote