Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 31 2013, 01:54 AM   #16
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sigokat wrote: View Post
A neighbor on one side of my house has dogs that are locked in a pen 24/7, rain or shine. They feed the dogs by dumping the dogfood over the top of the kennel onto the ground. I've never seen them go into the kennel to clean it. Cops said they can't do anything since they are sheltered and being fed and water
Can't the Humane Society do anything? You should call them.

I live in Massachusetts and that's actually not against the law. I have some neighbor who has 2-3 dogs that NEVER leave the cage unless he goes hunting. Just as the cops said, if they have a shelter and water you can do whatever you want to the dogs. And Mass has banned dog racing for animal cruelty.
Old March 31 2013, 02:05 AM   #17
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size.
Pit bulls are responsible for almost half of all fatal dog attacks on humans, usually children. They've been banned in Ontario since 2005, which is something I am quite happy about.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 02:49 AM   #18
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

First off: What a horrific, tragic event. To lose a child, especially one so young, has got to be incredibly traumatic and my heart goes out to all involved. That said:

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I think the first problem is less the dogs and more the parents not noticing when their child got out of the house.
That can happen, I don't really lay the fault on that too much.
Seriously?

How a family, with over half-a-dozen dogs, can lose track of a 21-month-old toddler is beyond me. Asking a 12-year-old to be responsible? In that environment? Sorry, no matter what breed of dog, no matter its reputation (and, perhaps even because of its reputation), the responsibility falls on the adults of the household. They are, by definition, at fault.
Old March 31 2013, 03:14 AM   #19
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The problem most likely lies with the owners and not the dogs. Dogs are usually quite friendly with children and with people in general so long as they don't feel threatened. When dogs will get dangerous is when they are trained to be dangerous or when they're not treated well.
Old March 31 2013, 04:19 AM   #20
propita
Rear Admiral

The breed mat not be at fault, but if the breeders contually breed the more aggressive to the more aggressive, can't the result be a kind of genetic default to an aggressive dog? Regarding German Shepards, didn't they have to bring in new bloodlines fromEurope to "clean" the bloodlines in the US--or am I misremembering?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 05:08 AM   #21
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sigokat wrote: View Post
A neighbor on one side of my house has dogs that are locked in a pen 24/7, rain or shine. They feed the dogs by dumping the dogfood over the top of the kennel onto the ground. I've never seen them go into the kennel to clean it. Cops said they can't do anything since they are sheltered and being fed and water
Can't the Humane Society do anything? You should call them.
I can't right now since I'm deployed. I did call Animal Control before I deployed and they said the same thing as the cops. I guess in North Carolina its not much different than Mass. like another poster said.

What's sick is both these families are military, one retired (the one that keeps the dogs caged) and the other active duty. You'd think soldiers would have a little more compassion because we see so much suffering both human and animal, but I guess there are scumbags in all professions and walks of life.
Old March 31 2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I have long advocated for the extinction of this Frankensteinian breed of dog.
Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size. The reason that you hear about so many bad ones are (aside from media knowing people will read it) that pits are fight dogs, taught (not bred) to be aggressive and have such a strong jaw that IF they are agressive, they're going to fuck someone's world up.

Chow's are worse, but since they're so weak comparatively you don't hear about what they do.
Agreed.

Individual dogs owned by irresponsible people are dangerous. An entire breed is not. It is up to people to educate themselves on breed characteristics and to only choose a breed that matches their lifestyle and their ability to keep the animal obedience trained.

When I was working as a trainee vet assistant I received my worst injuries from small dogs. Tiny fear biters were far more worrisome to us than large, well trained, well socialized, dogs who knew they had nothing to fear.

There was a time when people wanted to eliminate German Shepherds (my favourite breed of dog...a breed I could never personally own because my lifestyle will not match his breed characteristics), Dobermans, and Rottweilers. People have learned that these are all fantastic breeds when owned by responsible people who train and socialize them properly.

I hope someday the Pit Bull will be on this list as well. They are generally kind, docile dogs when not owned by people who want a visible symbol of how "tough and dangerous" they are themselves.
Old March 31 2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size. The reason that you hear about so many bad ones are (aside from media knowing people will read it) that pits are fight dogs, taught (not bred) to be aggressive and have such a strong jaw that IF they are agressive, they're going to fuck someone's world up.

Chow's are worse, but since they're so weak comparatively you don't hear about what they do.
Agreed. The problem lies with the owners, not the breed.

In this case, I don't question the breed as much as the number of dogs the family owns. Granted, I don't know their particular situation, but I'd think it would be hard to properly socialize 9 dogs without specialized training and/or experience.
Pegaritaville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:34 PM   #24
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Mooch wrote: View Post
Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size.
Pit bulls are responsible for almost half of all fatal dog attacks on humans, usually children. They've been banned in Ontario since 2005, which is something I am quite happy about.
Yes, because most people who own Pitt Bulls treat them like shit and they learn to act like shit and they're extremely powerful dogs so when they act like shit around someone, that someone usually gets hurt, and the reason children get killed are because they have zero defense. There is zero connection between the breed and it's agression. It's not like Pitt Bulls are naturally attracted to delicious infant humans.
Old April 1 2013, 03:08 AM   #25
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
In this case, I don't question the breed as much as the number of dogs the family owns. Granted, I don't know their particular situation, but I'd think it would be hard to properly socialize 9 dogs without specialized training and/or experience.
This may be a tad inappropriate, but I can't help thinking of Jeff Foxworthy's joke: "If your front porch collapses and kills more than three dogs, you might be a redneck."
Old April 1 2013, 05:05 AM   #26
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

It mystifies me that some people place more importance upon animals (or breeds) than upon human life.

I still stand by my earlier statement. This breed has been bred for fighting. Just as some are bred as gentle lap dogs by choosing appropriate characteristics; the pit bull was bred for aggressive characteristics. This makes it a dangerous breed.
Old April 1 2013, 01:16 PM   #27
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

Have you actually interacted with a pitbull?
Old April 1 2013, 02:03 PM   #28
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

It mystifies me that some people place more importance upon animals (or breeds) than upon human life.
Oh, FFS. Just because those people who do have positive experiences or knowledge of the breed offer a different explanation for their frequent involvement in mauling deaths than you do doesn't mean that they're placing more importance on animals than upon human life (well, some people on TBBS do, but I don't think it's anyone in this thread so far). Just because they defend the breed and criticize the owners who misuse and abuse the dogs doesn't mean they're indifferent to babies being mauled or anything like that. That's just insulting and ridiculous. You really need to learn to cut back on the hyperbole.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 02:17 PM   #29
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

cum hoc propter hoc

Because there is a disproportionate number of African-Americans in prison, then they are more prone to be criminals.

This is science.
Old April 1 2013, 02:21 PM   #30
Rhaven
Captain

[QUOTE=Pegaritaville;7878943]

Agreed. The problem lies with the owners, not the breed.
Exactly. I'm so sorry this child died because the adults didn't "notice" a toddler went missing. Seriously? As a parent, when my children were young they were never out of my sight. Over protective? Maybe I conceed that.

Large breed dogs in a pack, is IMO, a recipe for a disaster. In the practice I work for, we have all types of animals seen. When working with larger dogs such as PB's or GSD, Mastiff's ect, we use more than one tech to handle them, and we muzzle the animal as well. I've been bitten, scratched and semi-mauled by dogs that fear or aggressive bite. In every case, the owner was shocked that their pet was biting.