New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: How do you rate 7x06 "The Bells of St John"?
Poor 2 1.43%
Okay 18 12.86%
Good 21 15.00%
Great 39 27.86%
Outstanding 42 30.00%
Geronimo!! 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31 2013, 11:31 PM   #121
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: 7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

I'm watching BBCA on Charter HD, and it seems fine... colors weren't washed out last night as far as I could tell.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:07 AM   #122
ThankQ
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
This was the ep that cemented Matt Smith as my favourite Doctor since McCoy. Eccleston and Tennant were intentionally less eccentric, less alien and more accessible for The Saturda
I thought about this too while watching this episode. I thought back to Tom Baker saying he would do things that were decidedly un-human since the character is an alien. Smith made me think that with little things he does, tasting the leaf, reacting with disgust at the idea of snogging someone everyone alive would snog, and various other little "alien" actions.
Old April 1 2013, 12:21 AM   #123
Ghost Bones
Captain

He's alien in the way Jar Jar Binks was alien.
Old April 1 2013, 12:30 AM   #124
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Not feeling this episode at all. All of space and time to play with and we get modern day London (oh well, at least it wasn't Cardiff).

The best bit was taking the TARDIS on the plane. They should've revolved the whole episode around that.

I do hope Clara's arc isn't nearly as convoluted as Amy's. I don't think I can be bothered investing time into something as ill-conceived as that again.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:39 AM   #125
ThankQ
Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
I'm not a Star Wars guy, so I'll assume that's why I'm not making the connection
Old April 1 2013, 12:40 AM   #126
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Comments up thread hit on why this episode felt a little "off" to me; this was very much a series one RTD episode. I wonder if the cause is budget. Series one did not have a large budget, and that contributed to its feel as much as RTD did.

Doctor Who has been blowing through a good bit of money lately (the most noticeable being the second major TARDIS overhaul since Moffat took over). "The Bells of St. John" was a low budget episode; the question is how many more low budget eps we'll see in order to cover the spending gap.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:43 AM   #127
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
"The Bells of St. John" was a low budget episode
What!? Seriously, go back and watch Fear Her. That is a low budget episode. This was a blockbuster action episode with a fuck ton of money thrown at it.

ThankQ wrote: View Post
I thought about this too while watching this episode. I thought back to Tom Baker saying he would do things that were decidedly un-human since the character is an alien. Smith made me think that with little things he does, tasting the leaf, reacting with disgust at the idea of snogging someone everyone alive would snog, and various other little "alien" actions.
Yup. It's gonna really hit it home with viewers in the anniversary special when they see Matt being all alien while Tennant flirts with Rose and references Eastenders or whatever.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:47 AM   #128
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Cutter John wrote: View Post
* Ohhh, lovign the Tardis interior more and more. The lower level, and the quick glimpse of corridor.
I'm liking it better. I didn't quite like it so much last time, but there definitely appears to be more space here, which was my chief complaint.

The Lensman wrote: View Post
I did get a little kick out of the nod towards Amy though. (That first creepy little girl robot was based on a character from a book by Amelia Williams)
Am I wrong in thinking that the spoonhead the Doctor saw on the street looked kinda like Rory?

teacake wrote: View Post
Clara looked younger than the other times we saw her.
It felt like that for me too. I wonder if that means anything.
Old April 1 2013, 12:51 AM   #129
TemporalFlux
Commodore

What!? Seriously, go back and watch Fear Her. That is a low budget episode. This was a blockbuster action episode with a fuck ton of money thrown at it.
I don't see it. We didn't even see the TARDIS dematerialize. It had limited CGI with the crashing plane; the way point faces and the Doctor driving up the building (part of which was done 60's Batman style). The rest was costuming and location work (which I don't believe was as expansive as it seemed).
Old April 1 2013, 01:06 AM   #130
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I don't see it. We didn't even see the TARDIS dematerialize. It had limited CGI with the crashing plane; the way point faces and the Doctor driving up the building (part of which was done 60's Batman style). The rest was costuming and location work (which I don't believe was as expansive as it seemed).
How big was the speaking cast? How many extras? Every one of those actors had to be paid, fed, costumed, and made-up.

The cheapest episodes are those with most of the action on standing sets back at the studio. This had a lot of location shooting in London; over 150 miles from Cardiff. That's a five hour round-trip travel time for all cast and crew coming out of the BBC Wales studios, and you'll need to pay transportation and insurance costs for everything being transported. A lot of Doctor Who in the past few years has been shot at Cardiff locations doubling for London. In this case, there were several London locations featured in and around the Thames and the Shard.

I don't think this was necessarily the most expensive episode, but it wasn't cheap and low-budget, either.
Old April 1 2013, 01:19 AM   #131
TemporalFlux
Commodore

^If that's the case, then I believe they spent lots of money for something that looked and felt like what RTD did for much less. As a producer of "The Bells of St. John", I would find that pretty embarrassing. It's the definition of waste.
Old April 1 2013, 01:21 AM   #132
Ghost Bones
Captain

I'm not a Star Wars guy, so I'll assume that's why I'm not making the connection
They're the same character is what I'm saying.

Was Bells expensive then? It looks about as expensive as City of Death.
Old April 1 2013, 01:26 AM   #133
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Okies. My own question from a couple pages back... There's a St John's Ambulance sticker/poster on the front of the TARDIS... Were the "bells" the TARDIS making noise that it was time for the Doctor to get up off his ass?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 01:27 AM   #134
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Jar Jar is a goofy, cartoonish alien who usually gets into wacky situations and succeeds despite nearly getting himself killed in the process purely by accident.

They're similar in the regard that they aren't human, but in every other way are exact opposites. So it's probably the most bizarre and highly inaccurate comparison that anyone could make.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Okies. My own question from a couple pages back... There's a St John's Ambulance sticker/poster on the front of the TARDIS... Were the "bells" the TARDIS making noise that it was time for the Doctor to get up off his ass?
It was the phone ringing on the Tardis.
Old April 1 2013, 01:32 AM   #135
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

They're the same character is what I'm saying.
You must not be truly aware of either then, they really don't have much in common.