Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: How do you rate 7x06 "The Bells of St John"?
Poor 2 1.43%
Okay 18 12.86%
Good 21 15.00%
Great 39 27.86%
Outstanding 42 30.00%
Geronimo!! 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31 2013, 07:49 PM   #106
cylkoth
Commodore

Re: 7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
cylkoth wrote: View Post
Picture quality question for British viewers...

How does the show look airing in England now? I ask because here in the US, it looks very, very...cheap. I mean, Syfy Channel Saturday night original movie cheap. Previous seasons look handsome, with Beautiful, crisp, rich colorful images. The digital cameras they've switched(?) to are producing a washed out color look, very much like those Syfy Z grade flicks shot in Bulgaria. Or is it just the transmission equipment BBC America is using? Thanks.
It looks like an aesthetic decision. All digital footage for TV or film is color graded after it's shot, so when you're watching professional material, the 'look' is never going to appear how the cameras captured it. In this new season, the blacks are crushed, colors muted in outdoors shots, and the whole thing has a slight blue tint to it. It's definitely intentional, and I personally thought it looked pretty good, very cinematic.

I'm not British, but here's caps from the original feed:

(Check out that woman's coat on the left; there's no detail in it at all. They've definitely crushed the darks way down.)

The color palette appears to get less saturated and colder as the episode goes on, which I hadn't noticed before. Maybe to enhance a sense of a looming threat?
Thank you. It's probably a combination of both production choice and BBC America transmission. They ran Torchwood Children of Earth today, and it had the same washed out color look as DW did last night..

Old March 31 2013, 07:52 PM   #107
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Wow. That looks like a degraded VHS tape! Definitely a problem on BBCA's side.
Old March 31 2013, 07:54 PM   #108
Worf2DS9
Writer

^ Wow, that does look pretty awful. It's like the contrast/saturation was toned down for some reason. (Transmission for DW looked beautiful on SPACE here in Canada). And that BBC America thing for Orphan Black in the lower corner is so distracting!
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:03 PM   #109
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

There's certain codecs, like H.264, that don't display properly in Quicktime on Windows machines, which causes an effect like that. It looks like BBCA may have received the episodes as a QT file and just ran it on a Windows box straight to air without checking the quality.

In fact, I just checked the white and black values of the Torchwood caps and they match the listed ranges in that link, so that's probably what happened.
Old March 31 2013, 08:13 PM   #110
diankra
Commodore

Klaus wrote: View Post
Doc: "Suppose there was something living in the wifi. Harvesting human minds, extracting them... imagine that. Human souls trapped like flies in the world wide web, stuck forever, crying out for help."

Clara: "Isn't that basically Twitter?"
That's a detail that doesn't really make sense, when you think about it: the Doctor takes it as evidence that she now knows about the internet when she didn't before, but she did know about the internet, enough to want to log onto it even if she didn't know how, and similarly she'd have heard about politicians or actors or footballers saying stupid things on twitter even if she didn't use it herself.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 09:23 PM   #111
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

This was the ep that cemented Matt Smith as my favourite Doctor since McCoy. Eccleston and Tennant were intentionally less eccentric, less alien and more accessible for The Saturday Night Takeaway crowd whereas Smith is truly The Doctor.

Found his little dance hilarious too when he described what young people do .
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 09:49 PM   #112
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
This was the ep that cemented Matt Smith as my favourite Doctor since McCoy. Eccleston and Tennant were intentionally less eccentric, less alien and more accessible for The Saturday Night Takeaway crowd whereas Smith is truly The Doctor.

Found his little dance hilarious too when he described what young people do .
As soon as I can figure out where the Upvote button is, I'm giving you karma for your insightfulness. This is one of my favorites of the Matt Smith Era.
Old March 31 2013, 10:04 PM   #113
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Psion wrote: View Post
This is one of my favorites of the Matt Smith Era.
The Girl Who Waited and Amy's Choice remain my favourites of the Matt Smith era. Gave both solid 10/10s.

Last night's was great though. Saw people online complaining it was "Too confusing!" but I like these complicated story arcs and much prefer them to dumbed down, bare bones storytelling.
Old March 31 2013, 10:28 PM   #114
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Another simply ok, non-sensical episode. Definitely like Clara though, she brings some personality to the scenes she was in..

Deadly wifi? Din't see much purpose to the episode.

I am SO GLAD that got rid of that awful, awful TARDIS control room!!! I think the new one is the best ever.

RAMA
Old March 31 2013, 10:38 PM   #115
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

As for washed out, make of this what you will...
*deleted*

EDIT: oops wrong TV setting between inputs, this is more representative
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 10:41 PM   #116
The Haunting
Admiral

I thought it was ok, and it got better towards the end, especially with the reset of Celie Imrie et al. I dunno, I'm reserving judgement till I see it again because I have a sneaking suspicion I'll like it more second time around. I don't think I was in the right mood to watch it last night.

A lot of it seemed very familiar though, a kind of mix of Partners in Crime, The Idiot Lantern and the library two parter (spoonheads seem v similar to the library nodes- "Clara Oswald has now been saved".)

I'll be back once I've watched it again

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 10:44 PM   #117
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Deadly wifi? Din't see much purpose to the episode.
Then you haven't paid much attention to Moffatt's style of storytelling. At least as far as Doctor Who is concerned. (Hint: The first episode tells you just about everything you need to know in retrospect.)
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 10:53 PM   #118
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Then you haven't paid much attention to Moffatt's style of storytelling. At least as far as Doctor Who is concerned. (Hint: The first episode tells you just about everything you need to know in retrospect.)
Your avatar is from the greatest videogame I've ever played. Much respect!
Old March 31 2013, 10:59 PM   #119
cylkoth
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
There's certain codecs, like H.264, that don't display properly in Quicktime on Windows machines, which causes an effect like that. It looks like BBCA may have received the episodes as a QT file and just ran it on a Windows box straight to air without checking the quality.

In fact, I just checked the white and black values of the Torchwood caps and they match the listed ranges in that link, so that's probably what happened.
I should note that those screencaps were made using VLC Player, from a recording made on a dvd recorder, in SP mode, from a SD (digital cable) channel. Comcrap Cable.

The End of Time Pts 1-2, also shown today, looked normal, as in colorful, rich, textured film grade quality. The Eleventh Hour is playing now, and it too looks fine.
That's what had me so concerned when I watched last night.
Old March 31 2013, 11:08 PM   #120
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
I should note that those screencaps were made using VLC Player, from a recording made on a dvd recorder, in SP mode, from a SD (digital cable) channel. Comcrap Cable.
At least you're watching them in color!

I'm disappointed with Comcrap HD anyway, I don't know if it's BBCA or Comcast to blame. I get nasty noise breakup sometimes when there's heavy action with certain colors. I suspect it's heavily compressed.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote