Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 31 2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Joby
Fleet Captain

Re: Travis Mayweather

Melakon wrote: View Post
More Travis-centric stories would have helped. It wouldn't have had to be much, but at least give him a story each season actually about Travis, rather than occasionally being the first victim character. And he had an impressive physique in his tank top during the prisoner torture/interrogation scene of "In a Mirror Darkly"; he should have had more action scenes.

Yeah the guy was built, on equal footing of physique and good looks as Trip or even moreso. It seems that time has lessened fans hatred of Travis. I remember back about 10-11 years ago fans on here would really go after poor Anthony Montgomery and Travis Mayweather. You couldn't tell who they were more pissed at the actor or character. Day after day this is a variation of what I would read here:

Travis doesn't do anything, he always has that stupid smile on his face, Travis is useless, he has that stupid smile on his face, he acts so immature, he has that stupid smile on his face.

I remember around a decade ago the ladies here really loved Trip, Reed and Archer (especially Trip and Reed) but Travis was just as good looking but (probably b/c he a black dude) the poor guy never got the same fan attention from the women. It was tough to call it as racism b/c there was never concrete proof either way, but sure as hell looked like the reason on the surface for the poor guy. He was the least developed of all the supporting players. They had 4 whilte male actors and then they stick this one good looking black guy in there and give him nothing to do, but Star Trek fans instead of turning on the writers/directors spewed venom at actor Anthony Montgomery.

Today after reading many posts here it seems like fans have decided to be much more fair to Anthony/Travis then a decade ago in GW Bush's Presidency. It wasn't all Montgomery's fault as much as it was the writers setting up some interesting backstories and then dropping the ball by never following up on them. I really liked the space boomer idea as well, and I wish they creators made more of it.

Last edited by Joby; March 31 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 09:55 PM   #17
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Sometimes I read posts that criticize Travis, Tuvok, or Sisko and wonder if there's some sort of unspoken or subconscious racism going on, even though every incarnation of the franchise has featured a black actor. It's as if some people are stuck in a 1950s mindset.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 09:59 PM   #18
Skywalker
Admiral

Joby wrote: View Post
It seems that time has lessened fans hatred of Travis. I remember back about 10-11 years ago fans on here would really go after poor Anthony Montgomery and Travis Mayweather. You couldn't tell who they were more pissed at the actor or character. Day after day this is a variation of what I would read here:

Travis doesn't do anything, he always has that stupid smile on his face, Travis is useless, he has that stupid smile on his face, he acts so immature, he has that stupid smile on his face.

I remember around a decade ago the ladies here really loved Trip, Reed and Archer (especially Trip and Reed) but Travis was just as good looking but (probably b/c he a black dude) the poor guy never got the same fan attention from the women. It was tough to call it as racism b/c there was never concrete proof either way, but sure as hell looked like the reason on the surface for the poor guy. He was the least developed of all the supporting players. They had 4 whilte male actors and then they stick this one good looking black guy in there and give him nothing to do, but Star Trek fans instead of turning on the writers/directors spewed venom at actor Anthony Montgomery.

Today after reading many posts here it seems like fans have decided to be much more fair to Anthony/Travis then a decade ago in GW Bush's Presidency. It wasn't all Montgomery's fault as much as it was the writers setting up some interesting backstories and then dropping the ball by never following up on them. I really liked the space boomer idea as well, and I wish they creators made more of it.
I didn't join the Trek BBS until just before the end of ENT's run and I wasn't a part of any big Trek sites before then, so I don't know what people said about Travis/Montgomery back when the show was airing. But a lot of people seem to have softened their stance toward ENT in general in recent years, so that's probably a part of it. I know that I didn't really come to truly appreciate the show until I finally watched every episode from beginning to end back in 2011.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 11:46 PM   #19
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It's a bit of shock seeing him in the MU after all that blandness.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Travis Mayweather was Harry Kim 2.0!

Not sure why they didn't learn anything from Harry being so boring.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 11:53 PM   #21
teacake
Admiral

No. Harry Kim was 10,000 times more interesting and had 10,000 times more stuff happen to him. Travis was a guy who should have been Voy's Ayala, but they started giving him lines and then they had to pretend he was someone.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 1 2013, 01:16 AM   #22
Joby
Fleet Captain

Sometimes I read posts that criticize Travis, Tuvok, or Sisko and wonder if there's some sort of unspoken or subconscious racism going on, even though every incarnation of the franchise has featured a black actor. It's as if some people are stuck in a 1950s mindset.
It's a tough call, there's never enough concrete proof to label people as bigots just b/c they go after those particular guys, but when they repeatedly get singled out, yeah sure it does raise questions. I myself hated Sisko during the early years of DS9, not b/c he was a black dude but b/c I didn't like the way he blamed Picard for the death of his wife and I didn't like how smug and serious he was. Over the years I started to really like Sisko though, so if someone critisized my dislike of the early years of Sisko as bigotry on my part I know I wouldn't appreciate it.

Uhura was just a supporting player on TOS so she never drew fan ire and it was a breakthrough having her on the bridge during the 1960s. Then you had Geordi in TNG, but LeVar Burton was playing a blind nerdy engineering type, and actor Michael Dorn playing Worf could be written off as a Klingon. But when you had more leading players like Sisko and Tuvok, I have seen fans go after them over the years and I don't always get why. I didn't like early Sisko, but I think the writers really took off with the character as time went on. I do remember back in the 90s some fans were irritated that there were black Vulcans now with Tuvok, b/c all Vulcans we had seen up to that point where played by white actors (though there did seem to be some Asian Vulcans in The Search for Spock). But it seemed odd how much people fussed over something like that.

I think b/c the writers decided to give Travis nothing to do, it may have unconciously put poor Travis as a "token minority character" in the minds of some viewers, thus drawing out fan resentment. Harry Kim was also another good looking minority character, this time an Asian guy, and he wasn't given much to do, though granted he got more developed then Travis. But both guys may have been seen as characters who just have to be there to satisfy some racial quota, but it was neither the actor nor character's fault that the creators fumbled him so badly.
Old April 1 2013, 01:22 AM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
No. Harry Kim was 10,000 times more interesting and had 10,000 times more stuff happen to him. Travis was a guy who should have been Voy's Ayala, but they started giving him lines and then they had to pretend he was someone.
Interesting and Kim don't go together well in the same sentence. He did have more happen to him, but I wouldn't call that good.

Kim manages to get rejected by just about every female on Voyager, gets beaten with giant dildos on a planet full of females. Has nightmares about clowns chopping his log in half, has nightmares about Seven just having sex with him, and is the only char in the Trek franchise to get a STD. Oh and he gets the normal goldshirt beatings/alternate universe deaths too.

Mayweather managed to avoid all this negative attention at least.
Old April 1 2013, 01:25 AM   #24
Joby
Fleet Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
didn't join the Trek BBS until just before the end of ENT's run and I wasn't a part of any big Trek sites before then, so I don't know what people said about Travis/Montgomery back when the show was airing. But a lot of people seem to have softened their stance toward ENT in general in recent years, so that's probably a part of it. I know that I didn't really come to truly appreciate the show until I finally watched every episode from beginning to end back in 2011.
People were pissing all over Travis back in 2001-'03, by '04 and '05 I guess no one cared.

Yes I do agree that fans have softened their stance on ENT considerably. Unlike VOY which is generally still thought of as not all that good, ENT tends to get a bit more fan support. Back then a lot of people were just sick and tired of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and ENT got a lot of the blame for turning the franchise stale.
Old April 1 2013, 01:30 AM   #25
Dream
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
(Kim) gets beaten with giant dildos on a planet full of females.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:39 AM   #26
bluedana

The thing I liked most about Travis was that he was totally game for anything. Here's a guy who spends his whole life on a cargo ship in space, so what does he do whenever he makes planetfall? Master rock climbing. One of my favorite scenes is from 2Days2Nights where he's describing how he got injured: So there are these, like, COWS, and they LOVE MELONS! . . . His enthusiasm makes me smile every time. Whatever Archer asks of him, he doesn't hesitate. Love that.
Old April 2 2013, 02:17 AM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

bluedana wrote: View Post
The thing I liked most about Travis was that he was totally game for anything. Here's a guy who spends his whole life on a cargo ship in space, so what does he do whenever he makes planetfall? Master rock climbing. One of my favorite scenes is from 2Days2Nights where he's describing how he got injured: So there are these, like, COWS, and they LOVE MELONS! . . . His enthusiasm makes me smile every time. Whatever Archer asks of him, he doesn't hesitate. Love that.
Enthusastic after seven years of being an extra. That does take talent! Jesting aside, that's a good point and one I hadn't really thought on. Guess he would want to try new things at every given opportunity since apparently all he got to do was have sex on cargo ships.
Old April 2 2013, 02:19 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

If I was on a cargo ship for years the last place I'd spend shore leave was a cave.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 2 2013, 03:17 AM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Joby wrote: View Post
It's a tough call, there's never enough concrete proof to label people as bigots just b/c they go after those particular guys, but when they repeatedly get singled out, yeah sure it does raise questions.
That's why I decided to add the word "subconscious", because the commenters themselves may not even realize it. I deliberately didn't single anyone out, though I made the suggestion while the Tuvok hair kerfuffle was raging, so the inspiration should be obvious.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:23 AM   #30
Danger Ace
Commander

1950s? No.

But if Mayweather had just once said, "DYN-O-MITE!" or "Watcha ya' talkin' 'bout, Archer?" I would have been a fan.