Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 29 2013, 07:27 PM   #2086
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

I wouldn't have minded much if they'd ignored the council member choice in ME2. It always seemed weird that Shepard alone gets to decide that. They could have easily and believably written it off with "Sorry Shepard, but the voters decided differently."

Anderson resigning and going back to the millitary on his own without Shepard's input is fine, but they should have at least addressed it in dialogue rather than rely on the codex and crappy tie-in books.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 07:34 PM   #2087
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
they should have at least addressed it in dialogue rather than rely on the codex and crappy tie-in books.
Still not as bad as Emily Wong's Twitter-death......

At least I got an in-game email about Kal'reegar.
Old March 29 2013, 09:09 PM   #2088
Steven
Admiral

Just completed the "Fatal Error" match in the arena on my second try. That was a pain the ass. I think those Geth Primes were harder to take out than the other enemies in that last wave.

The Banshee went down quickly and then I left Grunt and Wrex to soak up the hits and damage while I retreated to another corner. Then I took out the Atlas, Primes, and Praetorians from afar while they were focused on trying to kill the Krogans.

Also, I love that the "Shifty Cow" appears on the scoreboard after getting over 9999 points.
Old March 29 2013, 10:37 PM   #2089
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

My adept got her ass handed to her about 5 times before finally beating Fatal Error, always in the last round. Damn squishy class... And yeah, I finally had to bring in the krogan to tip things in my favor.
Old March 30 2013, 04:59 AM   #2090
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
My adept got her ass handed to her about 5 times before finally beating Fatal Error, always in the last round. Damn squishy class... And yeah, I finally had to bring in the krogan to tip things in my favor.
Buh... buh... you had the Krogan available. Doesn't that automatically lock out all other party possibilities?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 06:25 AM   #2091
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Y'know, I barely ever use Wrex and Grunt in ME1/ME2. Wrex didn't exactly endear himself to my original paragon Shep when he shot Fist without my consent, and so I was afraid always after that that he was going to pull that crap at later points as well (he doesn't, but still...) And Grunt I've always found a little... bland. Along with Jacob, I always have to force myself to take him along on missions. I guess part of it is that I've never been a big fan of warrior races in in SF/F. I've got the same apathy for Klingons, for instance.
Old March 30 2013, 06:55 AM   #2092
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
There's not even one freaking alien on Earth in Mass Effect 3, so all we're pretty much doing is saving a "Homo-sapions only planet".
I'd say that's... unlikely.

And the only non-Krogan mate you see on Tuchanka is the Blue Rose of Ilium (and then only if you encourage them).
Old March 30 2013, 09:40 AM   #2093
Skywalker
Admiral

It's probably not too unlikely. I doubt many aliens immigrated to Earth (which is still a bit of a backwater compared to the rest of the galaxy) in the thirty years or so between the First Contact War and ME3.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 10:21 AM   #2094
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah and even if there were a significant Asari or Salarian population on Earth, why exactly would we expect to see any of them hanging around the Alliance's military headquarters? It's not exactly a tourist city, yes?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 06:23 PM   #2095
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ Indeed, that's my point. I'm not surprised we didn't see any non-humans during our time on Earth (before it fell) since it was pretty much entirely at an Alliance base. But to take that and declaratively state there isn't a single non-human on the whole planet is a little bit silly. The same could be said for Sur'Kesh and Thessia, but we spent the whole time there at military bases (and a temple) as well.
Old March 31 2013, 06:33 PM   #2096
Jeyl
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
That's a fallacy. Of course every place in every piece of fiction is by definition fictional. Of course even real people become fictional when they're used as characters in a novel or a movie. In a way, the Earth of Mass Effect is not anymore "the real Earth" than the Earth of Sense and Sensibility is. But the attachment, the feelings of compassion, those that make it possible to feel any connection to fictional characters, are real. The Earth of Mass Effect is a fictional place, that's true, but it is also Earth, and we feel a connection to it - except our psychopathic friends - because Earth is everything we know.
The difference between "Sense and Sensibility" and "Mass Effect 3" is Sense and Sensibility was never about the Earth. At all. Do movie or game audiences always go into a storyline and say "I care about this because it has an Earth in it"? I know I don't. Heck, Star Wars doesn't even have an Earth, and that's one of the most successful science fiction franchises of all time.

And they way describe the "connection" people have towards Earth is a hollow one at best. Instead of actually implementing Earth into Mass Effect 3's story in a meaningful way, the writers literally fell on the "gamers will care, because they live on Earth too!" trope. When you push everything down to a planet that up until this point hasn't had any significance to the Mass Effect series, you're pretty much fighting for something that's only unique to this game, and I personally feel that was a mistake. We got to know so much of all the other species of the galaxy, all their different cultures and how they're so different from us that the final part in this epic series is to save the planet Earth.

And my final point, which I really think speaks volumes in how a lot of Science Fiction series today don't seem to catch that the first two Mass Effect games did quite well,

EARTH IS NOT WHAT MAKES MASS EFFECT UNIQUE.

Halo has you rescue Earth specifically from an evil alien race on many occasions, Command & Conquer has you save the Earth from a hidden alien menace, Resistance is about humans fighting alien invaders, ect. There are plenty of games out there that have Earth as the central target for opposing alien races, and many of them do a better job at making the players care for Earth much better than Mass Effect does.

The first two Mass Effect games did such a great job at breaking the reliance on Earth storyline and it really helped set it apart from all the other action/scifi games that were out there already. For the third and final installment of the series (Or Shepard series), it disappoints me to no end that it all came down to "Earth is special and in danger!" for Shepard's final story.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:48 PM   #2097
Jeyl
Commodore

Kestrel wrote: View Post
But to take that and declaratively state there isn't a single non-human on the whole planet is a little bit silly.
With the Asari culture that has been open to relationships with members of different races since the first game, even to the point where the species has developed derogative slangs against 'pure bloods', it's much more plausible to believe that there are other races on Thessia than there are aliens on Earth.

Heck, if you actually read the codex entries, Earth is hardly the center point of the Alliance. It was Arcturus Station that held the high ranked leaders and was the center of the Alliance military.... Which begs the question as to why Shepard was sent to Earth instead of the station where the Alliance leaders and parliament resided.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 07:49 PM   #2098
Skywalker
Admiral

BioWare did everything they could, short of altering the original Codex entries, to brush aside that whole thing about Earth not being the heart of the Alliance. The universe became less unique with each game, sadly.
Old March 31 2013, 08:05 PM   #2099
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
BioWare did everything they could, short of altering the original Codex entries, to brush aside that whole thing about Earth not being the heart of the Alliance. The universe became less unique with each game, sadly.
I'm perfectly willing to ascribe that to incompetence, not maliciousness, on the part of Mac Walters.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:06 PM   #2100
Skywalker
Admiral

Sounds reasonable to me.