Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old March 31 2013, 12:09 PM   #31
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous

Tuvok's hairline is a betrayal of Gene's Vision(TM) and everything Star Trek stands for.
Old March 31 2013, 12:27 PM   #32
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Given Wesley Mary Sue Crusher was a big part of Gene's vision, I think we could've used more deviation from it.
Old March 31 2013, 12:53 PM   #33
Dream
Admiral

Wesley was insufferable during the first two seasons of TNG, but he started getting much better once better writers got hold of him. I really wish that he had started out as a fresh young Ensign when the show started though.
Old March 31 2013, 01:19 PM   #34
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Tuvok was also old.

Approaching 100.

Solok was at the Academy at the same time as Sisko, and why would he select a team of crotchety old men to crush humanity? Old people have different fashion to young people. Old people usually stick to the fashion they think is best from when they were prime. My grammy wore the same clothes, and/or identical replacements of those clothes for 50 years. After 1954 is just something that happened to other people.

Tuvok's "prime" period was the 2290s.

It's possible that Tuvok looks exactly like all the other Vulcans who were young and hip in their mid 20s during the 2290s?
No, because we saw Tuvok as a young man and his hair was the same.
I did the math and realized that it would be at least 10 months before Flashback aired on Terrestrial TV first run, so I did the only thing I could... For approximately half the price of the VHS tape that wouldn't be available for a year and a half, I brought the adaptation novel from pocket books for 11 dollars because I could not live without knowing how this story was going to play out.

**Sigh**

It's Tuvok's contemporaries that are the unknown factors not Tuvok. We don't know if they look uniformly like he does clinging to their unilateral perception of "cool" because Vulcan fashion is like a herd of lemmings throwing themselves off a cliff face or if Voyager's tactical officer's look is flying in the face of convention unique.

Or are you talking about when he was a really young man in Gravity ranting about his sex drive for the Andorian Ambassadors daughter or did we see him as a boy on the cliff face losing his friend?

Children are dressed and groomed by their mothers to one degree or another, so these very young versions of Tuvok do not specifically indicate his own choices.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old March 31 2013, 03:22 PM   #35
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Wesley was insufferable during the first two seasons of TNG, but he started getting much better once better writers got hold of him. I really wish that he had started out as a fresh young Ensign when the show started though.
It didn't hurt he was also two years less bratty by season 3. If Wesley was a fresh ensign from the Academy he'd have to be at least 21 or 22. Which yeah, would mean he's not a 15 year old brat.

The fundamental flaw in Wesley was he's a kid playing on a starship. At least Voyager didn't have Naomi or Icheb parading around the bridge that often.

I always wondered how he'd have turned out if that mumbo jumbo with the Traveller never happened, he graduated from the Academy and ended up on Voyager.
Old March 31 2013, 04:16 PM   #36
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Maybe part of the Tuvok/Black Guy/Vulcan problem is that ST does show aliens fairly generically.

When we see Vulcans and Cardassians and Ferengi and Andorians and Romulans, each species is shown with broadly similar generic features in each appearance, again and again.

Then later, when something different shows up (black Vulcan, blonde Romulan) it's a big stir.

I know it's a television production and they're trying to create alien life on a budget. But maybe if Vulcans and others were more different from the start, there'd be less fuss later on when black guy Tuvok shows up.
Old March 31 2013, 05:12 PM   #37
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Maybe part of the Tuvok/Black Guy/Vulcan problem is that ST does show aliens fairly generically.

When we see Vulcans and Cardassians and Ferengi and Andorians and Romulans, each species is shown with broadly similar generic features in each appearance, again and again.

Then later, when something different shows up (black Vulcan, blonde Romulan) it's a big stir.

I know it's a television production and they're trying to create alien life on a budget. But maybe if Vulcans and others were more different from the start, there'd be less fuss later on when black guy Tuvok shows up.
It's really only a fuss to those that can't get behind the idea that, as with Humans, there can be diversity among some humanoid races too. Tuvok may share physical traits with a Human from (or descended from) Africa, but I bet the region of Vulcan where his ancestors came from wasn't Africa.
Old March 31 2013, 05:12 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Imagine the Klingons surprise at seeing Sisko when they're used to dealing with white people.
Old March 31 2013, 05:17 PM   #39
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
True dat. Many people develop impressions based on what they regularly deal with, so if they encounter something different, it can throw 'em for a loop.
Old March 31 2013, 05:23 PM   #40
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Funny, I don't remember any outcry when we first saw a Klingon played by "some ghetto dude".
Old March 31 2013, 05:30 PM   #41
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
Probably because some people think Klingons are "ghetto" anyway. But in TOS, we did see both fair- and dark-skinned Klingons, although the latter was due to white actors in dark makeup. The TOS movies introduced us to some olive (or swarthy) skinned Klingons in the same fashion, though.
Old March 31 2013, 05:39 PM   #42
scotpens
Vice Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post

I think this is what the OP was pointing out, though perhaps he could have chosen his words a bit more carefully.

Oh, and I never bought Robin Curtis as Saavik. With that '80s mane of loose curls, she looked like a contemporary Earthwoman with pointed ears.
Old March 31 2013, 06:00 PM   #43
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

StarTrekSlut wrote: View Post
Please enlighten me as to which rules I broke? That wasnt my intention.. I just wanted to debate star trek with fellow commiserators

-crim
Being an offensive bigot. Generally frowned upon in these parts.
Old March 31 2013, 06:06 PM   #44
Peter Q Taggart
Lieutenant Junior Grade

"affirmative action police"? I'm guessing you must worship at the altar of Limbaugh and O'Rielly.
Old March 31 2013, 06:22 PM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Peter Q Taggart wrote: View Post
"affirmative action police"? I'm guessing you must worship at the altar of Limbaugh and O'Rielly.
Can we keep comments like that in TNZ where they belong?