Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 30 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Paul McGann special year possible?

Let's say Matt Smith leaves after the current series or is still undecided, if he returns...

What do you think of McGann returning in a special prequel year similar to the Tennant specials after series 4?

They could end with his regeneration into 8 or leave his fate open for later appearances, but give him a few key stories, foreshadow events we know are coming for later doctors or set up stories for 11 and 12 to give them bigger scope and meaning.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Paul McGann special year possible?

I'd be game. I once spent a whole day plotting out a 13 episode McGann New Who series with the first 6 episodes being standalone adventures and the final 7 being a DS9 Final Chapter-esque Time War epic, culminating in the Eighth Doctor's regeneration in to the Ninth Doctor.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Heck, this is what I thought they should've done during that season when Tennant was off doing Hamlet on stage. Instead they just gave us a few Tenth-Doctor specials. So if they didn't do it then, I don't see it happening in the future.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'd love to see it, but I know it'll never happen. Moffat and BBC probably feel like they need to focus on one Doctor at a time, and it would be too "confusing" for audiences to suddenly have another one out there.

Which is a shame, because McGann's Doctor would probably fit really well into the more modern style of DW. He's got the same kind of energy and charm as a Tennant or Smith.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

^Not to mention that McGann's turn at bat is a heck of a lot more like modern Who than classic Who.

I would love for McGann to have another go. That's why I know it'll never happen.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

All they need is a short narrated bit at the beginning of each episode, that shows "before 11...10...9... there was the Time War and the Doctor had a different face. This is the story of 8!"

Or something a bit more elegant.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i'd love a 8th Doctor solo special, but i doubt very much it will happen.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I would love to see more of The Eighth Doctor but I know it'll never happen. I'm content with the Big Finish audios.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Zeppster
Commodore

Maybe do a few 90 minute time war specials. That would be pretty cool.
Old March 31 2013, 06:04 PM   #10
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think the only reason to do the Time War is if you're gonna have McGann regenerate into Eccleston at the end.... and that's obviously not gonna happen.

Plus I'd rather see him in a fun adventure story than some dark and epic war thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Emh wrote: View Post
I would love to see more of The Eighth Doctor but I know it'll never happen. I'm content with the Big Finish audios.
One rumour doing the rounds is that he will fulfill whatever role CE's Doctor would have had had CE have done the special. Here's hoping...
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Saul
Rear Admiral

Oh my gods, great idea! A prequel year with McGann would be all kinds of awesome!
Old March 31 2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Worf2DS9
Writer

I'd love more on-screen Eight. We could see him visit the wardrobe and finally get rid of that New Year's Eve costume and pick out those new duds he's wearing for Big Finish.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Konata Izumi
Commander

The Silence and Time War plots could connect somehow so he'd regenerate in the anniversary special in the midst of Time War. It would only be a small tangent of that war of course.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Worf2DS9
Writer

At this point, the Time War plot thread has essentially been set aside along with Ten, so I'm not that interested in seeing anything about that. I'd rather just see Eight in some cool adventures.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote