TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 29 2013, 09:29 AM   #31
NCC1701
Commodore

Re: Rugby Union 2013 Thread

And the Highlanders lost to the Reds at home for the first time in Super Rugby history 33-34. Despite numerous chances, and coming back from 16-31 down after 50 minutes, the home team seem intent on hanging onto their prized wooden spoon and stay firmly anchored to the bottom of the points table.

EDIT: Hurricanes won at home against the Kings 46-30. For a while there it looked like the Kings might cause an upset at the Caketin like the Cheetahs did last year, but the Hurricanes put them away with 12 minutes remaining. Now for the big matches tonight, Chiefs vs Blues and Brumbies vs Bulls, should hopefully be an entertaining couple of games!

Last edited by NCC1701; March 30 2013 at 06:57 AM.
NCC1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 11:49 AM   #32
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Brumbies sneaked away with a win with an after the buzzer penalty to defeat the Bulls 23 - 20. They seemed to switch off for the last quarter of the match and the Bulls got it to 20 in the 79 min with a good counterattacking try. What did hold up for the entire match was the Brumbies scrum that completely dominated the Bulls. Hoping to see the Brumbies pick up for the Kings next week and put on a good 80 min display.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 11:39 PM   #33
NCC1701
Commodore

Last night's Chiefs vs Blues match was another armwrestle with the Chiefs defense proving the difference and not cracking until the 78th minute, 23-16 at full time. A yellow card for the Chiefs and two tries that were ruled out in the first half will leave the home team with something to think about during the bye next week after which they take on the Reds at Waikato Stadium, and the Blues take on the luckless Highlanders at Eden Park next Friday.

And yeah, agree Brumbies were lucky to come away with a win after a spirited Bulls comeback in the second half. The Rebels got another clobbering, from the Cheetahs this week, losing 34-16 at Bloemfontein. And the Crusaders delivered another performance in Cape Town to come back from 11-0 down to take down the Stormers 19-14 with several players out injured, nice! I managed to catch the last 20 minutes this morning, I might actually get up early next Saturday to watch the Sharks vs Crusaders game live.
Old March 31 2013, 08:26 AM   #34
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

What on earth were those...things...the Bulls were wearing??

Anyway, the Tahs managed another win, which I approve of. Seems as though they made a drama of it yet again, though.

(At some point I may have to renounce my principles and get Foxtel so I can participate properly in this phase of the thread. Then again, looking like an idiot is better than putting even more money in Murdoch's pocket. So maybe not. )
Old April 1 2013, 04:43 AM   #35
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

The Bulls still have nothing on the Stade Franšais jerseys that have appeared over the years.
Old April 1 2013, 05:26 AM   #36
NCC1701
Commodore

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
What on earth were those...things...the Bulls were wearing??
Pretty sure that's the same change kit the Bulls have had since last year, they wore them for the Blues game at Eden Park three weeks ago as well. Pretty out of it but any male team participating in a contact sport wearing pink gets my nod of approval .

And not sure who decides when a team has to wear their change kit, whoever decided the Crusaders had to wear their white alternative strip against the Stormers must have had their head up their ass that day, considering their normal kit is red and black. It would make way more sense to me wearing their 'home' kit white while playing a team who's colours are white and blue
Old April 5 2013, 11:39 AM   #37
NCC1701
Commodore

And holy shit, the Kings did what the Bulls couldn't last week and fought the Brumbies to a draw in Canberra, 28 all at full time . Cracker of a match and the Kings defense was outstanding all game, hell of an improvement from last week against the Hurricanes, and the Brumbies just looked shell shocked after being up 13-0 at one point. And just something that's been bothering me, what's up with the fatass bringing the kicking tee to the kicker on a quad bike at Canberra Stadium? Walking ten metres every ten minutes is too much to ask for around those parts?

Oh, and the Blues won against the Highlanders, no surprises there, although for the first 65 minutes it was quite close, with a few lead changes throughout the match and a yellow card per side, two tries to Piri Weepu sealed the result in the end, 29-18.
Old April 5 2013, 11:40 AM   #38
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

^ It's faster and more importantly you can whore it out its surfaces to advertisers for extra cash.

Brumbies drew with the Kings in what was probably their second worst performance under White. Instead of a 80 min performance they only put in about 20 mins and the Kings really dominated for the rest of the game.

They have really come off the boil in the last few weeks and the easy blame would be that it has been since Mogg has been out, but that only really could account for the waning attack, it doesn't excuse poor defence and forward runners going in too upright. Hopefully Jake White will crack some skulls in training next week because it isn't going to get easier with them going on the road. I'm sure the Highlanders will look at this game and really believe they can get their first win of the year.
Old April 5 2013, 08:05 PM   #39
NCC1701
Commodore

Sharks win against the Crusaders at Durban 21-17 with an outstanding kicking display by Pat Lambie. Andy Ellis scored the only try in the match for the Crusaders, but Tyler Blyendaal missed three kicks at goal. I just question the Crusaders' tactic of kicking for goal from half way when your flyhalf has missed slotting the kick just a minute earlier from a few metres closer to the goalposts, but hey that's just me. Sharks really deserved the win after a much improved second half.
Old April 7 2013, 08:17 AM   #40
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

A loss for the Waratahs, evidently due to the usual sort of thing - errors, turnovers and being belted by opposing forwards. Nothing new there. There might be a bit of a cleanout at the end of the season at this rate.
Old April 12 2013, 12:45 AM   #41
NCC1701
Commodore

Apparently Robbie Deans is sabotaging Australian rugby because Quade Cooper isn't in the preliminary 30-man squad for the Lions tour:

Greg Martin said:
Robbie Deans wants to sabotage Australian rugby and could be a trojan horse put in to ruin the game there, says former Wallabies fullback Greg Martin..
The coach's decision to ignore the claims of controversial first-five Quade Cooper by leaving him out of the 30-man preliminary squad to prepare for the coming series with the British & Irish Lions has Martin seething.
Cooper is clearly offside with Deans after last year labelling the Wallabies environment "toxic", but Martin believes Cooper is the only No 10 capable of troubling the Lions and can't believe New Zealander Deans has left him out.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8...e-Aussie-rugby

Bitch, please. If for example Dan Carter labelled the All Blacks environment under Steve Hanson 'toxic' I have no doubt he'd be out on his ass before he could say 'sorry'. I think James O'Connor would be a better fit at number 10 anyway, and he seems to be a team player unlike Quade 'Only out here for Number One' Cooper
Old April 12 2013, 09:35 AM   #42
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Greg Martin is one of those maroon-eyed pinheads who cannot understand why the entire Queensland side isn't in gold jumpers. His remarks can be safely disregarded by anyone with an IQ out of single digits. Deans has got this one absolutely right.
Old April 12 2013, 10:34 AM   #43
NCC1701
Commodore

^ Ah good, it's not often I find myself defending Robbie Deans so I was wondering if I was in the Mirror Universe for a minute there

The Highlanders got absolutely creamed by a much improved Brumbies outfit from the Kings match last weekend, with only one try to show for the Brumbies' three, 19-30 at full time, and that scoreline makes the Highlanders look good, to be honest. Hayden Parker - who along with Fumiaki Tanaka was making his starting debut for the Highlanders in favour of Colin Slade and Aaron Smith - kept the men from down south in touch in the first fourty but it all fell apart as the Brumbies lifted their game in the second half. So the Brumbies deservedly stay in first place while the Highlanders hang onto their prized wooden spoon.
Old April 12 2013, 10:49 AM   #44
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Brumbies got a decent, if not luck helped victory over the Highlanders. The Highlanders got some tough video ref calls, such as a very 50/50 no try against them and a not quite as line ball one that supported a Brumbies try. Better stuff from the Brumbies this week, still not quite back up to how they started the season but a win is a win.

Looks like Martin has gotten at the big boy juice again. What a load of crap! I'm sick of these rugby "experts" barely borderline xenophobia and paranoia. They are an embarrassment.

As for Cooper, until he can defend his channel instead of being hidden he doesn't deserve a gold jumper. Not to mention the disturbing amount of times he turns over possession.
Old April 13 2013, 01:51 PM   #45
NCC1701
Commodore

Went the the Blues vs Hurricanes game tonight. Quite a decent turnout, and the Blues completely dominated proceedings, especially in the second half, the Hurricanes unlucky to have a try disallowed after Steve Lutua put a foot into touch, 28-6 at full time. That was actually the first time I've been to Eden Park, looking forward to going to North Harbour Stadium next month for the Blues vs Stormers match!

The Chiefs lost to the Reds at home, for shame! Didn't see the game as I was on my way into town at the time, 23-31 at full time. And the Kings got another result against the Rebels 30-27 after 80 minutes in Melbourne, nice!

And the Crusaders made it hard for themselves as they stumbled to a loss against the Force in Perth, 16-14 at full time. The Force defense was excellent, keeping the Crusaders out for the entire second half, handling errors piling up misery for the Crusaders all the while. Well done by the Western Force for a third victory against the Cantabrians in Perth!

Last edited by NCC1701; April 13 2013 at 02:49 PM.