Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 27 2013, 03:37 PM   #16
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have

LtChange wrote: View Post
Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome had a budget of 2 million. And that was considered a pilot. Once all virtual models are done the budget per episode should have been lower, as these virtual set could be reused from different virtual camera angles and so on so I think it is safe to talk about lower budgets per episode like .5-1 million range, with some exceptions like highlight episodes and season finales, and could be lower than .5 millions for bottle episodes.
I doubt Blood and Chrome could ever get into a submillion budget. From what I understand, CGI hasn't gotten cheaper. Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe was still paying the same amount for CG of people walking though the gate. You can get a bit more out of it for the same amount of money, but the costs haven't gone down at all (which is a problem for Hollywood films and video games too).

Also, Blood and Chrome got lucky and managed to reuse the digitally scanned BSG sets for a lot of their stuff. While that would drive down the costs of their ship scenes over the long run, they would still have to spend lots of money on creating all the other locations. A new Trek show with greenscreen would have to create everything from scratch, which means the initial investment would be gargantuan.
Old March 27 2013, 06:52 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LtChange wrote: View Post
Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome had a budget of 2 million. And that was considered a pilot. Once all virtual models are done the budget per episode should have been lower, as these virtual set could be reused from different virtual camera angles and so on so I think it is safe to talk about lower budgets per episode like .5-1 million range, with some exceptions like highlight episodes and season finales, and could be lower than .5 millions for bottle episodes.
The Star Trek: Enterprise pilot cost twelve million dollars to make. I know reports had TNG at a budget of $1.3 million dollars an episode in 1987.

If they're going to make Trek look cheap I'd rather they not make it at all.
Old March 30 2013, 02:48 AM   #18
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

bullethead wrote: View Post
A WhatCulture article about the thread title:
http://whatculture.com/tv/star-trek-...-must-have.php

(Full disclosure: I wrote this article and posted the link here in hopes of getting critiques on it).
That's a good piece. I especially agree with #3.
Old March 31 2013, 03:46 AM   #19
James Pike
Lieutenant

The next series needs to continue the prime timeline from after the 09 movie.

Follow the established events in that movie. Romulus is destroyed. The Romulus people are leaderless and infighting amongst the surviving empire planets and military lead the Klingons to strike while the Romulus are weak. This would cause a rift between the federation and the Klingons because the federation would be rendering aid to the Romulans.
The series should run like DS9. Episodic where the majority of the episodes story is completed in the episode, but it ties in with a larger story arc.

Obviously the 1st episode will be expensive as it will require building of the major sets, props, ect and cgi work for ships (though I prefer model work).
I don't think the show should be special effects heavy. It needs to be story driven. Special effects should only be used to help tell the story. They don't need to be the story.

Please, please, please no over use of interpersonal drama. I absolutely hated SGU. Sure there will disagreements, but they should be at a minimum between the main cast. Bring in outside characters for that, like Cmdr. Maddox or Captain Jellico.
Having main cast members that the viewers hate makes viewers not watch.

Crew diversity is fine, but for cost reasons the vast majority have to be human, and its been stated that humans make up the majority of the federation.
Also, the aliens shown do usually have vast differences, it's just that the ones in Starfleet are mostly like humans because they've all gone through training and if they acted vastly different from their crew mates they won't be around for long.

Last edited by James Pike; March 31 2013 at 04:04 AM.
James Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:08 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

Prime universe is over.

No creative team is going to put themselves at a disadvantage by trying to adhere to the seven hundred plus hours of previously produced material.
Old March 31 2013, 04:17 AM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
Any new Trek series is going to be serialized to some degree. It's just how you make dramatic television nowadays. The question is how much serialization. I'd like to see any new Trek series be less like Breaking Bad and more like Mad Men in that regard.
I think Mad Men is a great example of how to serialize a program like Star Trek. Characters grow and change each week, but the series is more like a collection of short stories (in the form of episodes) than one single, driving narrative (like Breaking Bad). Another example that might be useful would be The Wire, which was more heavily serialized, but produced seasons that were more or less complete narratives. Seasons three, four, or five could have each been the last season of the series and been quite satisfying.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:32 AM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Prime universe is over.

No creative team is going to put themselves at a disadvantage by trying to adhere to the seven hundred plus hours of previously produced material.
That really goes for any previously produced material, including the Abramsverse. A new creative team would give themselves an advantage by starting over from scratch and redo things their way.
Old March 31 2013, 04:46 AM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Prime universe is over.

That really goes for any previously produced material, including the Abramsverse. A new creative team would give themselves an advantage by starting over from scratch and redo things their way.
I tend to agree. But it would be way easier to stay consistent with the six hours of material Abrams produces than seven hundred hours made by dozens of different creators over four decades.

Continuing on in the Abramsverse would be less creatively restrictive than returning to the Prime Timeline.
Old March 31 2013, 05:27 AM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

It would also be easier to reuse props, sets, and costumes from the Abrams-directed films than the Berman-produced shows and films. Much of the latter seems to have been destroyed or sold, and the Abrams stuff, having been made with the big screen in mind, is probably a bit better made.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 05:35 AM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Prime universe is over.

I tend to agree. But it would be way easier to stay consistent with the six hours of material Abrams produces than seven hundred hours made by dozens of different creators over four decades.

Continuing on in the Abramsverse would be less creatively restrictive than returning to the Prime Timeline.
Not necessarily, because continuity is continuity. A new Trek series will have to deal with it regardless of it being six hours or six hundred hours long. Like technobabble, continuity is best done sparingly. A new Trek series would be better served dealing with new characters and situations unique to itself rather than referring to past ones from an earlier production.
Old March 31 2013, 07:30 AM   #26
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Not necessarily, because continuity is continuity. A new Trek series will have to deal with it regardless of it being six hours or six hundred hours long. Like technobabble, continuity is best done sparingly. A new Trek series would be better served dealing with new characters and situations unique to itself rather than referring to past ones from an earlier production.
I think an Abramsverse show could easily work around the events of the movies by featuring a crew that was way off in deep space while those events happened. What's really important is maintaining visual continuity, because I doubt Paramount/CBS want to muddy the Trek waters anymore than they are already by going with a Mobile Suit Gundam like "we're gonna pump out different AUs and looks for most new productions" deal. The Abrams look/universe is Trek from here on out, but it's a big enough playpen that you could do any number of stories without actually involving the rebooted TOS crew.

The only time continuity would really be an issue is if the Abramsprise and crew were the focus of the new show. Then you have to accommodate the movies and possibly the game(s).
Old March 31 2013, 10:58 AM   #27
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post

I think an Abramsverse show could easily work around the events of the movies by featuring a crew that was way off in deep space while those events happened. What's really important is maintaining visual continuity, because I doubt Paramount/CBS want to muddy the Trek waters anymore than they are already by going with a Mobile Suit Gundam like "we're gonna pump out different AUs and looks for most new productions" deal. The Abrams look/universe is Trek from here on out, but it's a big enough playpen that you could do any number of stories without actually involving the rebooted TOS crew.
The only thing is that reboots are coming quicker and quicker these days and audiences are accepting such a practice. Ten years (or less) from now, it really wouldn't be a problem for a new series to disregard both the Prime and Abrams continuities and start over with a proper reboot. It might upset a minority of Trekkies, but a minority of Trekkies are always upset about something.
Old March 31 2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Dream
Admiral

They could always TNGize it. Create a show set in the future of Abramsverse with a new Starfleet crew, not necessarily with new versions of TNG character. Keep TOS characters as movies only.
Old March 31 2013, 03:35 PM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

James Pike wrote: View Post
The next series needs to continue the prime timeline from after the 09 movie.

It sure doesn't.

The "Prime" continuity is done.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
Any new Trek series is going to be serialized to some degree. It's just how you make dramatic television nowadays. The question is how much serialization. I'd like to see any new Trek series be less like Breaking Bad and more like Mad Men in that regard.
I think Mad Men is a great example of how to serialize a program like Star Trek. Characters grow and change each week, but the series is more like a collection of short stories (in the form of episodes) than one single, driving narrative (like Breaking Bad). Another example that might be useful would be The Wire, which was more heavily serialized, but produced seasons that were more or less complete narratives. Seasons three, four, or five could have each been the last season of the series and been quite satisfying.
Prefer the MAD MEN approach myself, where the characters grow and each season explores an overarching theme throughout the individual episodes, which are self-contained short stories of their own.