CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Weight of Worlds.
Outstanding 8 19.51%
Above Average 22 53.66%
Average 8 19.51%
Below Average 3 7.32%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27 2013, 05:34 AM   #31
Reanok
Commodore

Re: TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I started reading Weight of worlds tonight and I can't put this book down. Greg wrote a complex story and I can't wait to see how Kirk and Spock get out of the situation they're in. I really like this book so far.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 05:40 PM   #32
John Clark
Commodore

Finished it at lunch today. Enjoyed it a lot
Old March 27 2013, 06:13 PM   #33
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
I find that a very unsatisfying way to look at it, since it's basically saying episode X didn't happen to the same crew we saw in episode Y or novel Z. I prefer to see all the episodes, movies and books (excepting the ones deliberately out-of-continuity) as windows into some "real" (for lack of a much-needed better word) Trek universe. Some windows are clear, others are fogged up to varying degrees, jumbling the details a bit.
Well, look at it this way: Maybe the same stories, the same events, happen in multiple parallel timelines, but with some of the details being different. So you are basically seeing an adventure that happened to the familiar crew, you're just seeing a slightly different version than the one they experienced. That's not so different from what you're proposing -- you are seeing a slightly off-kilter version of a story the Prime crew experienced, but because a slightly different timeline was selected rather than because the details were recorded wrong.

This is basically what the Voyager novel Echoes depicts outright -- many different parallel versions of Voyager arriving at the same planet at the same time and having essentially the same experiences for the most part (though with some major differences for some of them), but with subtle differences in the details, like one Voyager having a two-person helm console instead of one-person, one Chakotay having a different tattoo, and so on. The book portrays its cross-timeline events from the perspectives of three main crews, but it's indicated that there are thousands of other parallel crews experiencing much the same adventure in much the same way. Similarly with TNG: "Parallels" -- the first few timelines Worf jumps to are essentially the same as his own, meaning the same events must have happened, but some details happened differently.
Exactly the argument I attempted to make in the Star Trek XI forum last summer when you, me, and Greg Cox were debating the differences in the universes between William Shatner's Kirk, and Chris Pine's Kirk, only then, you didn't see what I was saying.

But, on topic, nice to see the book is out, but I don't have it yet. That will change once payday occurs at the end of the week.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:21 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

RandyS wrote: View Post
Exactly the argument I attempted to make in the Star Trek XI forum last summer when you, me, and Greg Cox were debating the differences in the universes between William Shatner's Kirk, and Chris Pine's Kirk, only then, you didn't see what I was saying.
No, I just didn't agree that it works for that particular thing. In the movie, Spock Prime recognizes Kirk and Scotty on sight, which means that in universe, they must look the same, regardless of how different the actors portraying them look to us.

There's no reason that we have to limit ourselves to using a single explanation/rationalization for everything. Some things can be rationalized a certain way, but that rationalization may not work for a different thing. We need to be flexible, open to a variety of options.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 09:26 PM   #35
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Love the cover...I just picked it up today and the actual cover isn't as bright as this pic which is nice because the actual cover looks better.
Old March 28 2013, 02:39 PM   #36
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Looking at the awesome cover makes me wish I did not get the ebook. Maybe if Greg does a book signing in NYC I can pick up a copy
Old March 28 2013, 06:59 PM   #37
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

My copy has appeared. I expect to start it within a week.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:46 PM   #38
Reanok
Commodore

Weight of worlds is a fast paced novel and Kirk and Spock get their own story arcs in this book. Also Uhura it's nice to see her getting an important role in this book. Sulu and another Enterprise security crewwoman also get a piece of the action against the villians in this book.I don't want to post too many spoilers.Except to say Greg Cox has written another terrific Tos novel and that Ithink his fans will really like this book. It definitely feels like an old tv episode when you read this book. I just finished reading this novel.I think it was a complex story and there will probably a lot of discussion about this story. The storyline on IaItal took unexpected twists and turns that certainly surprised me.

Last edited by Reanok; March 30 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:10 AM   #39
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I just picked up my copy. If there are any categories in next yea r's bet Sci-Fi novel awards for cover art, this one should win hands down. This actually looks like one that was drawn and not photoshopped.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 05:11 AM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Looking at the awesome cover makes me wish I did not get the ebook. Maybe if Greg does a book signing in NYC I can pick up a copy
No immediate plans for a NYC outing, alas, but I will definitely be at Shore Leave this year, and am trying to arrange something in Newark, Delaware.
Old April 4 2013, 03:46 PM   #41
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Patrick,

Us Nyers get the privilege of Trek authors coming here during Comic Con in October.
Old April 4 2013, 05:38 PM   #42
Garrovick
Commander

Finished this one yesterday, enjoyed it very much! I especially enjoyed the parts with the Enterprise crew overcoming the Crusaders on Ephrata IV with Kirk, Spock, and Scotty all being out of the picture temporarily. Well done!
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:34 PM   #43
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

About a quarter through. Interesting tech for the enemy, not certain about how things will progress.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:56 PM   #44
indianatrekker26
Captain

I'm about half way through this book, just haven't had a chance to read it in a couple of days. But i'm loving this. At first, i started picturing the Crusaders as those aliens who kidnap Riker and others in the TNG episode "Schisms." But i'm figuring they aren't the same alien race.
spoiler:

I'm right at the spot where Scotty gets knocked out, and Uhura's taking over.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:40 PM   #45
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Enjoyed this one! Here's my review.

Highlights: Uhura's role, and the general method of overcoming the antagonists. Also, the cover!