IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 30 2013, 07:21 AM   #31
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: Olympus Has Fallen trailer (Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Ashley J

I think it is the best Die Hard in a xxxx movie since Under Siege, or maybe Die Hard itself. Although Erika jumping out of the cake trumps Angela Bassett as the Secret Service director and Susan Saradon as the Secretary of Defense. Shallow Star Wolf I will admit to.

I saw a review talking about all the head shots. Well you had North Korean special forces/terrorist and top Secret Service agents shooting at a body armored foe with handguns in many cases. So yeah I think they are trained to go for head shots first.
Old March 30 2013, 07:26 PM   #32
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

I liked it. It was twice as entertaining as I expected it to be. Yes, it was Die Hard with the guy from 300, but I don't think Bruce Willis could have pulled it off better.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:47 PM   #33
Death
Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I liked it. It was twice as entertaining as I expected it to be. Yes, it was Die Hard with the guy from 300, but I don't think Bruce Willis could have pulled it off better.
When my group was leaving the theater, we determined that the only other actors we would have liked to see play Butler's part were Jeffery Dean Morgan or Chris Evans.
Old March 30 2013, 08:08 PM   #34
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

One thing that Die Hard still has going for it was it lacked the character skill inflation. Thus the anyman has to do the extraordinary. We moved from just a detective in John McClain to the Navy SEAL in Under Siege and to the Army Ranger/head of the Presidential protection unit agent in Olympus Has Fallen
Old March 30 2013, 10:47 PM   #35
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Gaith wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
I get the feeling that people who did this movie and the second Die Hard are completely ignorant about DC and the surrounding vicinity. There are two major airbases in that vicinity - Andrews and Langley. This limits the possibility of an attacking plane to hitting the WH to nil in this post-911 world.
Passenger planes fly right close to downtown DC all the time; I'm sure they'll have some handwave line about how they fooled/hacked National Airport into thinking they were legit. Either that, or they remotely disabled all military aircraft... with hacking. It really wouldn't be more egregious than some of the stuff Skyfall threw at us, and that movie's been fairly well received.
In answer to both your comments about the USAF response and how it was handled...

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
I think it is the best Die Hard in a xxxx movie since Under Siege, or maybe Die Hard itself. Although Erika jumping out of the cake trumps Angela Bassett as the Secret Service director and Susan Saradon as the Secretary of Defense. Shallow Star Wolf I will admit to.

I saw a review talking about all the head shots. Well you had North Korean special forces/terrorist and top Secret Service agents shooting at a body armored foe with handguns in many cases. So yeah I think they are trained to go for head shots first.
Melissa Leo was the SecDef, not Susan Sarandon.

One thing that Die Hard still has going for it was it lacked the character skill inflation. Thus the anyman has to do the extraordinary. We moved from just a detective in John McClain to the Navy SEAL in Under Siege and to the Army Ranger/head of the Presidential protection unit agent in Olympus Has Fallen
But you can't really have an "everyman" be the head of the President's Secret Service detail, so what are you gonna do? A lot of the secret service guys are ex-special forces, so that makes sense.

Anyway, the movie was certainly action packed from start to finish, but it was only so-so for me otherwise. I'd give it a "B-." Not terrible, but not great.
Old March 30 2013, 11:58 PM   #36
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

The trailer from White House Down looks like Olympus on steriods.
Old March 31 2013, 12:34 AM   #37
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

^ Oh, I just saw that it's from Roland Emmerich. No wonder.
Old March 31 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I liked Olympus. I thought the attack on the White House was a bit unbelievable, but after that was over, I think the film settled down a bit and was entertaining. I thought Gerard Butler handled the action well and the supporting cast was largely top notch. A very expensive looking, well done 80's action movie. Please take notes Mr. Stallone for Expendables 3.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 01:05 AM   #39
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

But you can't really have an "everyman" be the head of the President's Secret Service detail, so what are you gonna do? A lot of the secret service guys are ex-special forces, so that makes sense.

Anyway, the movie was certainly action packed from start to finish, but it was only so-so for me otherwise. I'd give it a "B-." Not terrible, but not great.
That extra detail is what puts Olympus into Under Siege territory and not the iconic Die Hard class. Especially since Special Agent Banning was not a black sheep as far as the Secret Service was concerned unlike Detective McClain or even Chief Ryback
Old March 31 2013, 03:41 AM   #40
stj
Rear Admiral

The confused backstory is irrelevant. The villain's real motivation is that he likes to sneer.

Early in the movie there is a car teetering on the edge of a bridge. I noticed while watching Breakdown (1997) that the car/truck teetering on the edge of the bridge was getting very hard to take seriously.

It seems to me that one key part of the plot depended upon Aaron Eckhart's character deliberately ordering the violation of security protocols during the attack. Since this could not possibly have been predicted, the plan demanded that the terrorists disguised as security guards were to penetrate the Presidential bunker. The rest of the plot (about Cerberus) depends upon the assumption that the bunker is effectively impenetrable.

The movie is very stupid, and the jingoism is positively distasteful.
Old March 31 2013, 04:11 AM   #41
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

stj wrote: View Post
It seems to me that one key part of the plot depended upon Aaron Eckhart's character deliberately ordering the violation of security protocols during the attack. Since this could not possibly have been predicted, the plan demanded that the terrorists disguised as security guards were to penetrate the Presidential bunker. The rest of the plot (about Cerberus) depends upon the assumption that the bunker is effectively impenetrable.
I assume that...

Still implausible, but it's at least possibly addressed somewhat.

As far as the jingoism, how were you not aware that that would be an aspect of the film before seeing it? The slowly falling American flag and Morgan Freeman pep talk in the trailer and commercials didn't make that obvious? Or just the plot of the film itself, which would of course feature some patriotic things.
Old March 31 2013, 04:28 AM   #42
Gaith
Rear Admiral

As far as the jingoism, how were you not aware that that would be an aspect of the film before seeing it? The slowly falling American flag and Morgan Freeman pep talk in the trailer and commercials didn't make that obvious? Or just the plot of the film itself, which would of course feature some patriotic things.
Or, you know, the title.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:31 AM   #43
stj
Rear Admiral

Still implausible, but it's at least possibly addressed somewhat.
The South Koream PM's

Love of one's countrymen is admirable. But I thought Olympus Has Fallen lapsed into the ersatz which demands hating and fearing other peoples. The main villain's murky motivations included joy in cruelty, envy of America's good fortune and similar jingo nonsense. Also, the absurd motivations of the secondary villain are posssibly even more symptomatic. As are the inhuman minions, who, unlike the Good People don't get upset when their comrades die. Whether this is objectionable is a matter of taste.
Old March 31 2013, 05:20 AM   #44
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=stj;7876603]

The movie assumes that no other Secret Service agent than Gerard Butler would sacrifice a Presidential relative to save the President.
No it doesn't, it is what I meant when I said That Agent Banning wasn't the outsider that Detective McClain or Chief Ryback were. From the Secret Service Director to his fellow agents it played as if all of them would protect the primary first. Only the President himself didn't want to accept that.

And then by the very nature of their unique position a Secret Service protection agent has a different emphasis by corporate culture then an Army Delta operator or Navy SEAL in the same position should a First Family member be in danger
Old July 4 2013, 03:56 AM   #45
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

.. had the South Korean leader not been allowed into the bunker that Dylan McDermott's treasonous secret service agent would have had to take out the other agents himself and then let them in the bunker, and/or they would have used hostages from outside the bunker such as the President's son to force them to open the bunker door.
Now that the other movie is in did anyone happen to notice how this was played in White House Down