RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,212
Currently online: 857
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 30 2013, 05:06 AM   #16
JessDD
Lieutenant

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995

I remember when I downloaded Netscape for the very first time. I downloaded it on a 14.4k modem if I recall.

The funny part is I thought I was downloading THE ENTIRE INTERNET just in the netscape program alone. Like I would have access to the entire internet now without a modem.

Yeah, I was kind of a noob back then.
Old March 30 2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think 95 was a big year because Win 95 made it so much easier to get on the net than before. I remember wrestling with Trumpet Winsock under Win 3.1 with a 2400 baud modem and somehow got it to work.

I still have my original Netscape 1.0 on a CD somewhere. Actually ran it, talk about *bare* bones functionality these days. The first time I saw pictures slowwwwwly come in from a web page it was pretty magical though.
I missed Windows 95 because my computer in 1995 only had MS-DOS. My second computer had Windows 98 which was a big one back then. Then I had XP for a long time which was my Sims2 computer lol. Sims2 was pretty much made to run well on XP. When I got Windows 7, my simmies won't run as well.

I had a work comp with Vista. I have Windows 7 on both my computers now, but my dad has Windows 8. I really hate using his computer because they tried to make Windows 8 like some kind of mobile device or ipad with the App Store...and you can't access anything unless you move your mouse to the top right corner of the screen. I don't know about anyone else, but I liked my normal Windows layout just fine lol.
Old March 30 2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I have Windows 8 which is tolerable if you get a start menu replacement. There's some free ones but I use Start8 from Stardock which for $5 makes my experience much more pleasant. Basically I never see the tiles and just stick to the desktop underneath.

I switched to Windows 95 on day one just because I always wanted long filenames lol.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:36 PM   #19
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Okay, kiddies, I bought my first computer, a Tandy 2000, in 1983. I remember using Word 4.2, Lotus 1-2-3, and some dial-up bbs.

Bought a Zeos laptop in 1991. Then a Quantex laptop around 1998, which is when I went on the Internet.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 08:05 PM   #20
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

I think 95 was a big year because Win 95 made it so much easier to get on the net than before. I remember wrestling with Trumpet Winsock under Win 3.1 with a 2400 baud modem and somehow got it to work.
I don't think Windows 95 made it any easier. It did not even install with Internet support, let alone a browser. OS/2 Warp, released an year earlier, had both. Star Trek fans ought to know about this as not only were the series a great inspiration inside the team behind it, Kate Mulgrew was there when the release was announced.

Sadly, OS/2 was not pirated here back then, so I only heard about it on TV and felt jealous of its users.

The only thing Windows 95 ever did was sabotage OS/2 and turn around Microsoft's agreement with IBM by backstabbing them and obliterating an otherwise better operating system.

Even Slackware 2.1 offered you more at the time as far as Internet is concerned. Microsoft did not have a clue that the Internet was a thing.
Old March 30 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
When I got Windows 7, my simmies won't run as well.
There are some Win7 work-arounds for Sims2. I've never played it, so I have no idea how well they work. But I do know they exist.

^^ I have Windows 8 which is tolerable if you get a start menu replacement. There's some free ones but I use Start8 from Stardock which for $5 makes my experience much more pleasant. Basically I never see the tiles and just stick to the desktop underneath.
That seems like a total conceptual fail. A person shouldn't have to buy third-party proprietary software just to get-back some basic functionality.

I switched to Windows 95 on day one just because I always wanted long filenames lol.
I still use truncated filenames for a lot stuff.

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Okay, kiddies, I bought my first computer, a Tandy 2000, in 1983. I remember using Word 4.2, Lotus 1-2-3, and some dial-up bbs.
My parents bought me one for my fourth birthday, which would have been 85. Really, I think my dad just wanted one for himself.

It was used and didn't last very long. So we got and one of the IBM 8086s not long after. I was pretty well-versed in DOS by the time I was eight.

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Even Slackware 2.1 offered you more at the time as far as Internet is concerned. Microsoft did not have a clue that the Internet was a thing.
Suffice it to say, Pat Volkerding won the interwebz.
Old March 30 2013, 08:39 PM   #22
lurok
Commodore

What is this Windows of which you all speak?

I do have a nostalgia though for OS9 (such a pretty GUI) and my old Powerbook with its crappy 56k modem.
Old March 30 2013, 09:50 PM   #23
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I don't think Windows 95 made it any easier. It did not even install with Internet support, let alone a browser. OS/2 Warp, released an year earlier, had both. Star Trek fans ought to know about this as not only were the series a great inspiration inside the team behind it, Kate Mulgrew was there when the release was announced.

Sadly, OS/2 was not pirated here back then, so I only heard about it on TV and felt jealous of its users.

The only thing Windows 95 ever did was sabotage OS/2 and turn around Microsoft's agreement with IBM by backstabbing them and obliterating an otherwise better operating system.

Actually, while it didn't initially ship with a browser, Windows 95 did incorporate Internet Explorer on a subsequent release. On it's initial release, you could still buy the Win95 Plus! pack, which came with IE as well.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 10:19 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post

Actually, while it didn't initially ship with a browser, Windows 95 did incorporate Internet Explorer on a subsequent release. On it's initial release, you could still buy the Win95 Plus! pack, which came with IE as well.

I remember having both, but using the MSN Network when I first got online...made sense at the time. I hated it and switched not long after.
Old March 31 2013, 03:21 AM   #25
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

I just bought Windows 8 for my PC, and I was weary of that Metro interface. Thank you for the heads up on the Start8 utility, for $5 it sounds like a winner and I will try it out.

Unfortunately OS/2 simply suffered the fate of being too powerful an OS for the hardware it was trying to run in.

I remember running OS/2 2.1 on my 486 SLC33 with 4 megs of Ram, and man that was an experience.

I upgraded that same computer (meaning new motherboard, CPU, Video Card and RAM) to a 486DX4-100, and got rid of the Trident junk Video and replaced with an ATI 3D Rage II and 8 megs of RAM (this was all over $1000 at the time, yikes! ) and I ran OS/2 Warp 3 on it, and it was soooo much better. Sadly it never took off (Windows just was stripped enough to run faster on slower hardware) so very few companies ended up supporting it, and I think it pretty much died after version 4?

lurok wrote: View Post
What is this Windows of which you all speak?

I do have a nostalgia though for OS9 (such a pretty GUI) and my old Powerbook with its crappy 56k modem.
I have 2 PC's and 2 Macs, One PC is an older Thinkpad T60 running Windows 7, and the other is my main super duper gaming PC on which I just installed Windows 8.

Then I have an older MacBook Pro 2009 and my main laptop, a 2011 MacBook Air with an OWC SSD drive

I frankly see no difference now in the way either OS works, but I find I need the PC for serious video editing or games.
Old March 31 2013, 03:43 AM   #26
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

RAMA wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

I remember having both, but using the MSN Network when I first got online...made sense at the time. I hated it and switched not long after.
Yeah, when I first got onto the Internet, it was with IE 3.0, and I used IE exclusively until 5.0, where I started using Netscape. Soon thereafter, however, I returned to IE with 6.0, and stuck with that until Firefox 0.8. I've been with FF ever since, though I play back and forth between FF and Chrome.

Old March 31 2013, 03:50 AM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post

I just bought Windows 8 for my PC, and I was weary of that Metro interface. Thank you for the heads up on the Start8 utility, for $5 it sounds like a winner and I will try it out.
I think it depends on what kind of user you are. If you use MS's recommended directories and run simple tasks the Metro interface can be really nice. My mom bought a touch screen laptop and it's OK for what she does.

I'm more of a power user, constantly running multiple tasks and switching between them and use a mouse and for that I found the familiar start menu/desktop to be much more useful.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:23 AM   #28
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Yep. Power user here, too, and Windows 8's Metro/Modern UI just gets in the way.

Old March 31 2013, 09:00 AM   #29
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Between 1989 and 1993 we used a Philips NMS 9100 XT which was getting on the obsolete side so in 1994 we bought a real powerhouse of a computer... a 486 DX2 running at a staggering 66 Mhz, it has a 420Mb harddrive a Trident 9400 series VESA graphics card and a 14" colour screen! DOS and 3.11 for workgroups for an OS.. I still have both machines..

As for Win8 this will fix everything: http://www.classicshell.net/
Old April 1 2013, 04:24 PM   #30
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I still remember that big vanilla colored box I got. It was noisy and had far less RAM than my cell phone does now. I studied hard before buying it, I had plenty of money and wanted the one that had specs slightly above the norm. I was shocked not long after to learn my then GF had a sleek black box with 220mhz intel chip and double my RAM. Ugh. Still I was happy with my $2,200 purchase. Alas the way of the PC is obsolescense.

Dell outlines the death of the PC:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki..._medium=social