Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 20 2013, 06:26 AM   #76
DarkHorizon
Captain

Re: New Frontier?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The problem here is that "Crucible" wasn't meant to fit with established continuity, we were told this going into to it.
Star Trek readers who visit BBSs regularly were told this. A tiny percentage. Casual readers just bought 'em and read 'em.
Wasn't it stated in the introduction to Crucible: McCoy?
Old March 17 2013, 12:03 PM   #77
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Peter David talking about wanting to do some more New Frontier at 12 minutes.
Published on Jul 11, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCaY...JIVpL1zgLOY-VQ
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 02:11 PM   #78
USS Firefly
Commander

I really want a new New Frontier!!!
Maybe they can include the Typhon Pact ?
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #79
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
No problem. Typed it up quick from my work-in-progress site. Getting really close to publishing. Can't wait for everyone to see.

You forgot three New Frontier books on that list: the Starfleet Academy books with Worf that feature Soleta, Tanya Tobias, Zak Kebron and Mark McHenry that take place about 4-6 years before Encounter At Farpoint.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 07:01 PM   #80
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I did forget those on that post , but I am aware of them and they are on my final version of that list.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 11:50 AM   #81
Gate11au
Ensign

Um wow no more NF i have only read the first few but they were really good but then again i like everything Peter David writes in the trek-verse so if he not doing any more NF and not under contract dose that mean we will not get any more Peter David Star trek novels at all.
as for The IFM i have not gotten to it yet just started Typhon Pact i am starting to think that may be i should not read it at all so not to get stuck with the continuity problems would this make the the next lot of Typhon pact books harder to follow or easier?
Gate11au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:34 PM   #82
USS Firefly
Commander

You can read them both, the continuity problems aren't that big
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 09:45 PM   #83
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Gate11au wrote: View Post
dose that mean we will not get any more Peter David Star trek novels at all.
It seems that PAD has had a falling out, of sorts, with the current editor, but PAD is also in recovery following a stroke, so getting well again is #1 on his agenda at present.

PAD doesn't write ST books without a contract, so until the editor hears a pitch he likes...
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 10:11 PM   #84
Relayer1
Commodore

...as for The IFM i have not gotten to it yet just started Typhon Pact i am starting to think that may be i should not read it at all so not to get stuck with the continuity problems would this make the the next lot of Typhon pact books harder to follow or easier?
It's referenced in at least one other book so it is still in continuity, even if you have to fill in the gaps yourself about how some developments were resolved to get back to where the other books pick up.

It's pretty dumb how things were handled by the editor...
Old March 30 2013, 10:51 PM   #85
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
dose that mean we will not get any more Peter David Star trek novels at all.
It seems that PAD has had a falling out, of sorts, with the current editor,
What are you basing that on? PAD has worked with Ed Schlesinger on all his post-Ordover New Frontier books.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 10:58 PM   #86
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Yeah, to me it seems more that Schlesinger has decided to cut down both the roster of regular authors and of the series, and PAD and NF (and some other people) ended up on "wrong side" of the cut.

No falling out, just an ediorial decision (and bad business manners by Schlesinger by simply ignoring authors he doesn't want to work with anymore).
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:06 AM   #87
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
Yeah, to me it seems more that Schlesinger has decided to cut down both the roster of regular authors and of the series, and PAD and NF (and some other people) ended up on "wrong side" of the cut.

No falling out, just an ediorial decision (and bad business manners by Schlesinger by simply ignoring authors he doesn't want to work with anymore).
Not necessarily. There could've been a contract involved that specified that Peter David had to write "X" number of novels, and Schlesinger had to go along with, at least til the contract ran out.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 07:40 AM   #88
JD
Admiral

^That was the impression I got from second hand comments people have posted on here. It sounds like he finished all of the book on the last contract, and they never set up a new one.
Old March 31 2013, 07:45 AM   #89
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
What are you basing that on? PAD has worked with Ed Schlesinger on all his post-Ordover New Frontier books.
I'm aware of that.

PAD's blogs (and KRAD's) have mentioned frustrations with not being able to make pitches, not hearing back from Pocket and no contracts being offered to them. Of course, they are also being professional in not stating in print exactly what's going on.

Or maybe I just dreamed it.

If that's not a falling out "of some kind", then it's at least a stalemate, or a failure to communicate, from somewhere. It seems weird when you know that Ed once worked so closely with PAD, on lots of NF and his original fiction - and that KRAD did some editorial work on "No Limits", IIRC.

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
There could've been a contract involved that specified that Peter David had to write "X" number of novels, and Schlesinger had to go along with, at least til the contract ran out.
On PAD's blog, he has explained how he had a few three-book contracts with Pocket but the last NF was a two-book contract. He was told there wouldn't be a new NF contract till figures were in for the most recent book - and no one at Pocket has supposedly said anything to him since. But he and Ed have had a long author/editor collaboration going at Pocket.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:33 AM   #90
donners22
Commodore

I would love to see one last New Frontier book. That series has been pretty much the only Trek books I've bought in the last decade. I'd read that he was working on the belated second part of his original fantasy trilogy though, and no doubt recovering from his stroke would be his primary focus at the moment.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote