Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 30 2013, 06:47 PM   #181
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

Bakula's performance always seemed off. I was very disappointed with his work. Billingsley was great and managed to rise above the material.
Old March 30 2013, 06:48 PM   #182
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Bakula's performance always seemed off. I was very disappointed with his work. Billingsley was great and managed to rise above the material.
Holy crap! An opinion different than mine! Is this where I try to demean you for thinking differently than me?
Old March 30 2013, 06:51 PM   #183
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Not if I demean you first!!!!!!!!
Old March 30 2013, 07:00 PM   #184
Danger Ace
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Danger Ace wrote: View Post

Bakula, Trinneer and Billingsly were good.
Bakula was bad most of the way and wasn't cut out to play a Star Trek captain, Billingsley was "there" most of the time but didn't really shine very often.
Well, I did say "good" to the extent the writting allowed. Bakula is recognized as being a fine actor. Billingsly also known to be very good at character work. The writing simply did not support the talent (again, Blalock's unbridled awfulness being excluded from that sentiment).

I mean Blalock was so bad anorexics used to watch her performances as T'Pol to purge themselves of their most recent meal.

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:04 PM   #185
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

Well, I did say "good" to the extent the writting allowed. Bakula is recognized as being a fine actor. Billingsly also known to be very good at character work. The writing simply did not support the talent (again, Blalock's unbridled awfulness being excluded from that sentiment).
Bakula wasn't cutout for the role. He simply wasn't the type of actor that could project authority. That has nothing to do with writing and everything to do with acting style.

As far as Blalock goes, we'll simply have to agree to disagree.
Old March 30 2013, 07:24 PM   #186
Danger Ace
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
... we'll simply have to agree to disagree.
Agreed.

Last edited by Danger Ace; March 31 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old March 31 2013, 06:06 AM   #187
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
George Takei. Atrocious actor who reacts to anything by looking confused or giving a shit eating grin.

Nasty person and shameless media whore too. Has milked almost 50 year old quarrels on set and his own sexuality endlessly for tabloid exposure. Feels like he should be constantly in the public eye because he had a minor role in a 60s action show. Obsessively jealous that far more talented actors get more recognition than he should be getting for saying "Aye sir!" every 3 episodes.

His comeuppance thankfully eventually came. After bitching about Shatner's acting for years he made an embarrassing tit out of himself in his Voyager episode with a performance that wouldn't be passable in a school Christmas play. Wonderful. Loathsome human being. The Paris Hilton of Star Trek. He'd do anything to become a bit more famous.

Runner up is Eric Bana as Nero but at least he has given great performances elsewhere.
"Nasty person" "loathsome human being"? Neither. I've met the man. I don't care for his acting, but your choice of words says more about you than you realize. Lighten up.
I've met him as well, on multiple occasions, and I have to agree, he's actually very warm and really enjoys meeting his fans. The issue with his acting in TOS is that the crew was not an ensemble, as is common today, but that Sulu was part of the second tier of cast members. With the exception of "The Naked Time", I can't recall him having anything interesting to do in the entire series. All he was there for was to push buttons and occasionally say, "Aye aye, sir."

I did think he was a little off in his Voyager episode, but he was essentially trying to duplicate a performance he'd given five years earlier. Unless you're performing in theatre, doing the same role every night, that's not easy. When they broke away from replicating scenes from TUC, his performance got a lot better. Grace Lee Whitney was a thousand times worse in that episode, IMO.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I never liked "Battlefield". Frank Gorshin in tights looked too much like Riddler in black/white face. I get the concept, but the execution just didn't work for me.
I was going to cite Frank Gorshin in this thread myself. He was stiff in the role, and every time he had to say the name "Cheron", he paused as though he was trying to remember how it was pronounced. (I'm pretty sure he pronounced it in at least two different ways in the episode, too.)

And you can add me to the list of people who didn't like Jolene Blalock's acting, either. It always seemed to me that she was trying so hard to present an unemotional facade that her face would actually twitch from the strain.

It seems that a common problem among actors who have guest-starred as Vulcans is that they feel like they have to show that they're being unemotional, instead of letting the unemotional dialogue do most of the work for them. "Unemotional" does not have to equal "wooden". In the case of Jolene Blalock, her acting is probably the whole reason they had to do the "Stigma" storyline and retcon Surak's influence to occur more recently in Vulcan history than we'd otherwise been led to believe. (It didn't help that Gary Graham - who is otherwise a fine actor - played Ambassador Soval like he was constantly on the verge of a temper tantrum.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 07:25 PM   #188
Anwar
Vice Admiral

You can do Vulcan and show some depth, Tim Russ and Mark Lenard pulled off full-blooded Vulcans nicely.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:19 PM   #189
Danger Ace
Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
You can do Vulcan and show some depth, Tim Russ and Mark Lenard pulled off full-blooded Vulcans nicely.
With Mark Lenard doing it brilliantly. He is full on logical and disciplined but you never once doubt his love for his wife, Amanda, nor his feelings for his son, Spock. Just a super-talented actor.

Old March 31 2013, 08:35 PM   #190
Danger Ace
Commander

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
It seems that a common problem among actors who have guest-starred as Vulcans is that they feel like they have to show that they're being unemotional, instead of letting the unemotional dialogue do most of the work for them.
I always felt a common misperception seemed to be people thinking Vulcans didn't have or deeply repressed emotions without any mechanism for release (except Ponn Farr). Vulcans, to my mind, were highly disciplined not emotionless. They felt things but were raised to be stoic - this was done through the embracing of logic as a philosophy.

Old March 31 2013, 08:43 PM   #191
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Guy who played Morn. Wooden featureless performance.
Old April 1 2013, 07:13 AM   #192
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Seriously! His line reading was dreadful!
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:13 PM   #193
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Denise Crosby. She was smart to have pulled the escape lever when she did.
Old April 3 2013, 12:06 PM   #194
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

DFScott wrote: View Post
And I dare anybody to come up with clear reasons why Wes Studi would not have been a far greater Chakotay. Studi would have been for Chakotay what Nimoy was for Spock. He would have been a reason to watch the show. His interplay with Kate Mulgrew would have been phenomenal. Completely missed opportunity there.
Plus, Wes Studi is an actual First Nations person, unlike Beltran.

I would've gone with Adam Beach as Chakotay, but around the time Voyager started, he was quite young to be a First Officer on any ship.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:11 PM   #195
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
DFScott wrote: View Post
And I dare anybody to come up with clear reasons why Wes Studi would not have been a far greater Chakotay. Studi would have been for Chakotay what Nimoy was for Spock. He would have been a reason to watch the show. His interplay with Kate Mulgrew would have been phenomenal. Completely missed opportunity there.
Plus, Wes Studi is an actual First Nations person, unlike Beltran.

I would've gone with Adam Beach as Chakotay, but around the time Voyager started, he was quite young to be a First Officer on any ship.
I would have gone with Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves) as Chakotay. Older, wiser, a real sense of gravitas. Would have set up a more interesting relationship between that chartacter and Janeway, IMO.