RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 523
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 30 2013, 05:17 PM   #61
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Nah, it just means there's more action. It doesn't make the other parts of the film "dumbed down".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 05:17 PM   #62
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

And he was right. A Trek feature film needed to be more like Star Wars in order to put butts into theater seats. But upping the action quotient doesn't make it Star Wars, it just makes it more palatable to a wider range of audiences.
This could be read as saying you have to dumb down ST by adding the traits of the often story-challenged SW for an audience reared on style over substance.
Yup.
Nope.

What it means is that there is seven hundred hours of material out there and that you have to give the audience a reason to show up and pay money to see it.

Abrams simply upped the tempo in Star Trek 2009.
Old March 30 2013, 05:19 PM   #63
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

And JJ has actually said he felt Trek should be more like Star Wars.
And he was right. A Trek feature film needed to be more like Star Wars in order to put butts into theater seats. But upping the action quotient doesn't make it Star Wars, it just makes it more palatable to a wider range of audiences.
And its the same stragey that was used with TWOK, which was much more action orientated than the more cerebral TMP. And it worked then too. Personally, I enjoy both approaches, so long as they are entertaining. However, I know this won't carry much weight with those who don't think TWOK is "real" Trek either.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 05:27 PM   #64
Warped9
Admiral

TWOK is Shakespeare compared to ST09 which was so fucking stupid in every respect it's embarrassing. But they made a lot of money so that makes it allright.

Then again I care nothing for the Big Bang Theory or The Office either that so many rave about.
Old March 30 2013, 05:31 PM   #65
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

Cyberspace... The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Butthurt.

Our 5 year mission: To bitch and whine about a movie we didn't like. To explore new ways of repeating the same old shit. To boldly imply that people who enjoyed it are of a lower intelligence than we are.

Just one more year left... then you can start the mission all over again with Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old March 30 2013, 05:31 PM   #66
BillJ
Admiral

TWOK is Shakespeare compared to ST09 which was so fucking stupid in every respect it's embarrassing. But they made a lot of money so that makes it allright.
It may be to you and that's fine. But to me, it wasn't the best thing the franchise has put out neither was it the worst and honestly, it was much closer spiritually to TOS than much of what came later.

Then again I care nothing for the Big Bang Theory or The Office either that so many rave about.
Neither do I. Do you want a cookie?
Old March 30 2013, 05:33 PM   #67
Warped9
Admiral

Well if some would stop dragging that shit into this forum and leave it in its own forum there wouldn't be a problem. There the fans of the thing could drool to their hearts content.
Old March 30 2013, 05:37 PM   #68
Warped9
Admiral

Neither do I. Do you want a cookie?
Thanks, but presently I'm tasting possibly the best fudge I've ever experienced. Picked it up this morning at a local craft shop where they also sell their own homemade fudge in a slew of flavours. Caramel Vanilla---Mmmmm...
Old March 30 2013, 05:38 PM   #69
BillJ
Admiral

Well if some would stop dragging that shit into this forum and leave it in its own forum there wouldn't be a problem. There the fans of the thing could drool to their hearts content.
Since this is a thread about the official chronology it's no surprise that Star Trek 2009 came up.
Old March 30 2013, 05:38 PM   #70
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The thread's topic is the "Official Chronology". That opens it up to all films and series. Perhaps it would have been better suited to General Trek, but its here unless someone moves it.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old March 30 2013, 05:38 PM   #71
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

I just come onto your lawn to take a dump whenever the 2009 toilet's broken.
Old March 30 2013, 05:40 PM   #72
BillJ
Admiral

Joker wrote: View Post
I just come onto your lawn to take a dump whenever the 2009 toilet's broken.
Old March 30 2013, 08:17 PM   #73
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

No!! Changing Trek to be more like SW is a big mistake.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 08:22 PM   #74
BillJ
Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
No!! Changing Trek to be more like SW is a big mistake.
I don't mind big-screen Trek outings to have a tempo more like Star Wars. There's nothing like paying ten bucks to watch Picard have a conference.
Old March 30 2013, 08:37 PM   #75
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek: My Dinner With Andre, would be epic!!!