RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,386
Posts: 5,447,213
Members: 24,973
Currently online: 454
Newest member: turndizy

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Treachery, Faith and the Great River
By: Michelle on Nov 1

Crowded Coop Trek-Themed Bags and Wallets
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Original Series Hoodies
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Star Trek-Planet Of The Apes Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

November-December 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 30 2013, 12:58 PM   #496
teacock
Fleet Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Going Veggie

That sounds extremely good. I love udon noodles too. And that style of food is so flexible, pretty much do anything with it.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:40 PM   #497
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Going Veggie

Yeah udon noodles are amazing. Somehow the potatoes come out like bacon bits, I'm not sure how, but they are so good.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:45 PM   #498
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Going Veggie

mmm...soba.

+ this (apologies for meat content)
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 11:08 AM   #499
Into Darkness
Captain
 
Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: The United Republic
Re: Going Veggie

I was vegetarian for 3 years and then about 2-3 month ago I relapsed and ate a kebab and ive not given it up again yet. :-/
Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:10 AM   #500
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Ghost of Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 7's Ghost
Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7
Re: Going Veggie

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I was vegetarian for 3 years and then about 2-3 month ago I relapsed and ate a kebab and ive not given it up again yet. :-/
Come to the Dark Side, we have meat.

A few of us here are not Veggie people, solely. I am an Omnivore, but enjoy learning about food. So, here I am.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Ghost of Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:15 AM   #501
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Going Veggie

Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 02:39 PM   #502
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangledcorpse's Avatar
 
Location: BOO-klyn
Re: Going Veggie

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid.
No. Not eating meat is a healthful choice.
You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants.
No. This is not at all true. Please read the thread and see how this silly myth is easily debunked by evidence.
But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
Thinking you know the best way for everyone else to eat and playing the Diet Police is stupid.
__________________
thestrangequark

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:15 PM   #503
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Going Veggie



I'm not the diet police, eat whatever you want, I went through a veggie phase, and my best friend did it for 2-3 years and then started eating good, fresh, natural meats and went to me after it ended, "That was stupid for me, I feel much better now".

As long as you aren't eating only veggies because hurting animals is mean, I don't care what you eat. Because eating plants is hurting the plant, and plants have feelings too. However the history of humans is based on eating meat and plants. Ancient humans were hunters and gathers, ate meat and berries. Then we learned to farm and eat more plants, which is horrible for our teeth, but still hunted too.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:23 PM   #504
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangledcorpse's Avatar
 
Location: BOO-klyn
Re: Going Veggie

bigdaddy wrote: View Post


I'm not the diet police, eat whatever you want, I went through a veggie phase, and my best friend did it for 2-3 years and then started eating good, fresh, natural meats and went to me after it ended, "That was stupid for me, I feel much better now".
Sorry, but your post is easily interpreted as "vegetarianism is stupid", a position supported by the false assertion that we "need the vitamins and minerals from both meat and plants." Combined, it seemed like the stance of diet policers. So, sorry for getting you wrong, but I hope you can see how easy the mistake was, and that you recognize that your statement about needing meat is not factual.

As long as you aren't eating only veggies because hurting animals is mean, I don't care what you eat. Because eating plants is hurting the plant, and plants have feelings too. However the history of humans is based on eating meat and plants. Ancient humans were hunters and gathers, ate meat and berries. Then we learned to farm and eat more plants, which is horrible for our teeth, but still hunted too.
Oh wait, my mistake, you were being judgemental after all! And don't get me started on the complete lack of logic behind the paleo claims. I find it hilarious that people think it's a healthy idea to base lifestyle choices on people whose average lifespans were 25 years.
__________________
thestrangequark

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:30 PM   #505
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Going Veggie

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
I love meat too. I don't like beans and pulses.

I have, however, been a healthy vegetarian for 28 years because I realised that I was only eating meat because I liked it. Killing for pleasure is wrong, however you look at it...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 06:59 PM   #506
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Going Veggie

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
Come on, guy, you're coming into a Vegetarian thread saying that you think not eating meat is stupid?
__________________
Twilight Sparkle: It sounds like somepony is jealous.
Spike: [writing] Rainbow Dash is jealous.
Rainbow Dash: Don't write that, Spike! [all the other ponies laugh]
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 08:48 PM   #507
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangledcorpse's Avatar
 
Location: BOO-klyn
Re: Going Veggie

J. Allen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
Come on, guy, you're coming into a Vegetarian thread saying that you think not eating meat is stupid?
And supporting that opinion with false claims!
__________________
thestrangequark

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:27 AM   #508
Gul Re'jal
Commodore
 
Gul Re'jal's Avatar
 
Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Going Veggie

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh I love meat, not eating meat to me is stupid. You need the minerals and vitamins from both meat and plants. But people eat too much meat, and even 1-2 meatless meals a week is great for you. People need a variety of foods.
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and I am healthier than I used to be before. So your argument about what I "need" to eat is... a missed shot at best.

I DO eat variety of foods. But meat doesn't belong to that, that's all.

AND... I think even a child knows that the best source for vitamins are vegetables and fruits, not meat
__________________
Archer: "You're going to drown my dog?! "
Phlox: "Only for an hour, Captain... "
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:33 AM   #509
teacock
Fleet Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Going Veggie

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

As long as you aren't eating only veggies because hurting animals is mean, I don't care what you eat.
What does it have to do with you if someone doesn't eat meat because of hurting animals?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:19 AM   #510
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Going Veggie

^ I think it must be because animals routinely hurt each other. They kill each other for food every minute of the day. So therefore, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary that we eat them.

YMMV, of course.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beans, fruit, meatless, musical, vegetarian

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.