New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 29 2013, 05:37 AM   #1
HaplessCrewman
Commander

Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

A toddler was mauled to death after her family didn't notice she had gotten out of the house, and seven of their nine dogs attacked her in the backyard, Georgia authorities said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-dogs#comments

Reminds me of Aesop's tale of the Frog and the Scorpion.
Old March 30 2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

I have long advocated for the extinction of this Frankensteinian breed of dog. I stopped going to visit a friend because he decided to let his pit bulls have free run both outside and INSIDE the house. All too often I see cases such as this in the South, where I live.
Old March 30 2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I think the first problem is less the dogs and more the parents not noticing when their child got out of the house.
Old March 30 2013, 04:41 AM   #4
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I think the first problem is less the dogs and more the parents not noticing when their child got out of the house.
That can happen, I don't really lay the fault on that too much. And I don't lay the fault on the dogs either nor the child. The fault is having the dogs in the first place.

Someone would need to provide me a valid reason for their existence for me to support someone who had them. I don't see them serving any purpose at all.
Old March 30 2013, 05:06 AM   #5
propita
Rear Admiral

My cousin had a couple of pit bulls. They were VERY nice dogs, but he did keep them in very large enclosures and his toddler was not allowed in. Just in case.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

This sad case of the death of a toddler comes soon after the mauling to death of a British teenager.

Jade Lomas-Anderson 'was really lovely,' a friend said. Lomas-Anderson was mauled to death by dogs, cops believe.
A 14-year-old British schoolgirl was mauled to death by five dogs afer she walked into a room eating a meat pie, authorities and friends believe.

Jade Lomas-Anderson was alone in her friend's house in the town of Atherton in Greater Manchester on Tuesday afternoon when she was apparently attacked by two bull mastiffs, two Staffordshire bull terriers and one other unidentied dog.
and

The dogs belonged to dog lover Beverley Concannon, the mother of Jade's friend. "Can't believe that my mum's dogs have killed a 15-year-old," her son posted on Facebook, according to the Telegraph.
“The dogs were really scary," a friend of Jade told the Sun. "But Jade knew these animals so I don’t know why they all went for her. Presumably they must have smelled blood after the first dog attacked. It’s such a tragedy. She was a lovely girl.”

and one of the worse aspect of the case?

Concannon worked as a breeder and featured many different dogs on her Facebook page. She described her favorite mastiff as being so aggressive that it had to be castrated. And, she said on the Facebook page, the mastiff didn't like children.
SOURCE
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I despise how whenever this happens it always turns into "ZOMG MOST EVIL DOGS EVER."
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Tosk
Rear Admiral

The dogs aren't evil, they're just dangerous to own. I know several people that go on and on about how "that breed" isn't any more dangerous than other breeds. It's bullshit. Yeah, your own dog might be a sweetheart, but seven of them just tore a toddler apart. A toddler that they knew.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I have long advocated for the extinction of this Frankensteinian breed of dog.
Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size. The reason that you hear about so many bad ones are (aside from media knowing people will read it) that pits are fight dogs, taught (not bred) to be aggressive and have such a strong jaw that IF they are agressive, they're going to fuck someone's world up.

Chow's are worse, but since they're so weak comparatively you don't hear about what they do.
Old March 30 2013, 12:55 PM   #10
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

propita wrote: View Post
My cousin had a couple of pit bulls. They were VERY nice dogs, but he did keep them in very large enclosures and his toddler was not allowed in. Just in case.
Why would anyone want a dog their own kid can't go near.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

teacake wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Why would anyone want a dog their own kid can't go near.
The area I live at near Ft Bragg, NC is not horrible but its not great and that reflects in some of the people that live there (not all, but some). A neighbor on one side of my house has dogs that are locked in a pen 24/7, rain or shine. They feed the dogs by dumping the dogfood over the top of the kennel onto the ground. I've never seen them go into the kennel to clean it. Cops said they can't do anything since they are sheltered and being fed and water.

Neighbors on the other side have pits and a bull mastiff that are also outside probably 99% of the time. The yard is destroyed (I can see it from my upstairs window) and their kids cannot go into the yard and play because it is so nasty.

I hate where I live and only moved in there because the Army changed my orders on me at the last minute so I had to find some place quickly because we were moving from Ft. Polk, LA. If I had seen the place in person I would have never moved there.

But I asked myself the same questions all the time. What's the point of having "pets" if you can't go near them or don't take care of them? The animals are miserable and these people just do not care. It sickens me and especially since the cops can't do anything about it.
Old March 30 2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

^I think some people own dogs simply for a power trip. They like the idea of controlling a "lesser" being. They want to assert their dominance over the dog. They don't actually give a shit about the well-being of the animal, but you can bet that if someone tries to intervene and take the pet away, they will flip out and get angry that anyone would even consider messing with THEIR property.

Sadly, some people treat their fellow humans this way as well. Assholes make me sad.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Shanndee
Commodore

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I have long advocated for the extinction of this Frankensteinian breed of dog.
Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size. The reason that you hear about so many bad ones are (aside from media knowing people will read it) that pits are fight dogs, taught (not bred) to be aggressive and have such a strong jaw that IF they are agressive, they're going to fuck someone's world up.

Chow's are worse, but since they're so weak comparatively you don't hear about what they do.
Agreed.

Individual dogs owned by irresponsible people are dangerous. An entire breed is not. It is up to people to educate themselves on breed characteristics and to only choose a breed that matches their lifestyle and their ability to keep the animal obedience trained.

When I was working as a trainee vet assistant I received my worst injuries from small dogs. Tiny fear biters were far more worrisome to us than large, well trained, well socialized, dogs who knew they had nothing to fear.

There was a time when people wanted to eliminate German Shepherds (my favourite breed of dog...a breed I could never personally own because my lifestyle will not match his breed characteristics), Dobermans, and Rottweilers. People have learned that these are all fantastic breeds when owned by responsible people who train and socialize them properly.

I hope someday the Pit Bull will be on this list as well. They are generally kind, docile dogs when not owned by people who want a visible symbol of how "tough and dangerous" they are themselves.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:38 PM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Darwinism.
Old March 30 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Sigokat wrote: View Post
A neighbor on one side of my house has dogs that are locked in a pen 24/7, rain or shine. They feed the dogs by dumping the dogfood over the top of the kennel onto the ground. I've never seen them go into the kennel to clean it. Cops said they can't do anything since they are sheltered and being fed and water
Can't the Humane Society do anything? You should call them.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote