Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 30 2013, 03:24 AM   #91
Arianna
Ensign

Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser!

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Arianna wrote: View Post
I didn't see anyone denying it but just because it was like that in the 1960's doesn't mean it has to be like that today. Compare sexism with racism...none of the "minority races" got as much screen time or were major characters, does that mean modern Trek should be the same?
That's still a false comparison. It's already been pointed out several times (Some of those times where by women, I might add.) that sexy and sexism are not the same thing.

The point here is that Star Trek has always been sexy. It has not always been sexist.
Bingo. A woman can be naked and it wouldn't be sexist (same for a man). What makes it sexist or not is how 1) the character is written, 2) How the actress/actor portrays that character.
I don't think women need men to tell them what they should find sexy or sexist. Star Trek was much more PC with TNG.

With Abrahms (ugh) Uhura stripped down to her granny-like undies in the first trailer for ST09...no plot purpose what so ever. While I haven't seen the entire film STID ... yet, it looks like it will be the same sexism. Nice to know the feminist movement has influenced cinema in 5 decades. Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't find Alice Eve so irritating.

Last edited by M'Sharak; March 30 2013 at 04:09 AM. Reason: repaired broken close-quote tag
Arianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:30 AM   #92
SeerSGB
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That's still a false comparison. It's already been pointed out several times (Some of those times where by women, I might add.) that sexy and sexism are not the same thing.

The point here is that Star Trek has always been sexy. It has not always been sexist.
Bingo. A woman can be naked and it wouldn't be sexist (same for a man). What makes it sexist or not is how 1) the character is written, 2) How the actress/actor portrays that character.
I don't think women need men to tell them what they should find sexy or sexist. Star Trek was much more PC with TNG.

With Abrahms (ugh) Uhura stripped down to her granny-like undies in the first trailer for ST09...no plot purpose what so ever. While I haven't seen the entire film STID ... yet, it looks like it will be the same sexism. Nice to know the feminist movement has influenced cinema in 5 decades. Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't find Alice Eve so irritating.
So you're saying that a female character can't be taken seriously unless she's fully clothed? Or is that that there is never a plot/story purpose for a female character to be partially or totally unclothed? And how does that point of view apply to male characters? Or is it only sexist when women are the ones stripping down?

Last edited by M'Sharak; March 30 2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: quote tag repair
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:56 AM   #93
Arianna
Ensign

So you're saying that a female character can't be taken seriously unless she's fully clothed? Or is that that there is never a plot/story purpose for a female character to be partially or totally unclothed? And how does that point of view apply to male characters? Or is it only sexist when women are the ones stripping down?
Too general aren't you?

Let's face it in the context of the trailers and movie the stripping is gratuitous. As it is in most films. In fact I have never found it to be necessary. It will probably put some women off the film.

Last edited by M'Sharak; March 30 2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: quote tag repair
Arianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:11 AM   #94
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Who's Abrahms?

Kirk had less cloths on than Uhura or Galia in that scene. What in particular makes that scene sexist? You have a woman removing her clothing in her bedroom. While her roommate's boyfriend hides under the bed.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 09:06 AM   #95
Mage
Commodore

Too general aren't you?

Let's face it in the context of the trailers and movie the stripping is gratuitous. As it is in most films. In fact I have never found it to be necessary. It will probably put some women off the film.

Oh come on.... A woman walks in to her OWN room, and undresses to change her clothes. That's what women (and men) do in real life. Get over yourself already.
Old March 30 2013, 11:06 AM   #96
Flake
Commodore

Have the reboot haters ever watched Star Trek?

I wonder what they think of the decon chamber scenes in Enterprise... Which heavily featured in the adverts before it aired.

Then there are the constant stream of beautiful women cast in Trek in revealing outfits since the 60s thanks mostly to Roddenberry ?

It's all been done before... Action/sex/adventure/women everything.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:52 PM   #97
marksound
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Silver. In the future,clothing is always silver.
I thought it was "in the future, no one can hear you scream."
So Alice Eve's screaming is why it's not True Trek.
Exactly.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 02:38 PM   #98
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post
Have the reboot haters ever watched Star Trek?
Old March 30 2013, 03:25 PM   #99
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Apparently there is a heavily edited version of Star Trek that has no sex or violence in it. Mostly it's the characters sitting and thinking or giving moralistic speeches. More room for commercials I guess.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:43 PM   #100
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I like breasts, I think they're fun and nice to look at, and the opinion according to which a movie would be tainted by the addition of breasts is one I find mind-boggling. Which really, is a moot point, considering that there are no breasts in Star Trek or in Star Trek Into Darkness.

I like breasts more than I like explosions, but again, that's not really relevant, considering that explosions have been part of Star Trek from the beginning.
Old March 30 2013, 04:04 PM   #101
Opus
Commodore

To be fair, the self-righteous Trek Purists are taking their cue from Captain Janeway:

"There are three things to remember about being a starship captain: keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never abandon a member of your crew."
- Kathryn Janeway to Naomi Wildman, 2375 ("Dark Frontier")

Obviously nuKirk and Abrams are refusing to comply.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:51 PM   #102
Borgminister

Keep that shirt tucked in, Janeway!
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 05:35 PM   #103
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

I could not stand sexist TNG episodes like Deja Q. Getting Q undressed served no plot purpose whatsoever. Let's be honest, the gratuitous nudity was there only to objectify men.
Old March 30 2013, 05:56 PM   #104
ITL
Vice Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
I could not stand sexist TNG episodes like Deja Q. Getting Q undressed served no plot purpose whatsoever. Let's be honest, the gratuitous nudity was there only to objectify men.
Immortal again! Omnippletant again!
Old March 30 2013, 06:42 PM   #105
edshrinker
Ensign

ITL wrote: View Post
YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Immortal again! Omnippletant again!
He was actually immoratal AND IMpotant. Sucks to be Q.
edshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote