RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 553
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 27 2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Re: Recommended Viewing Order TV Shows and Movies

DaNnYElLoCO wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post
^Why would you want to do that?

I wouldn't watch Generations until after you've seen all of TOS, TAS, and the TOS films. It would totally ruin Generations to watch it first.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I mean I've seen the the first four TOS films, but I think I would enjoy Generations more after finishing TNG then seeing TOS, TAS, and TOS films again. The other question would be, when do I watch the TNG films? After TNG, but before TOS, TAS, TOS films and Generations, or after I watch all of those?

Sorry for all of the questions, but thanks for the help!
You might enjoy Trek more if you just... don't watch the TNG movies.

Since you started with TNG, here's what I would recommend:

Finish TNG
Watch TOS, TAS, and the TOS movies
Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis
DS9
VOY
ENT
ST 2009

There are minor plot points and cameos in the TNG movies that will make more sense if you watch them at the appropriate time (i.e. slot in First Contact at some point in the fifth season of DS9, Nemesis after VOY) but it doesn't matter all that much.
Old March 27 2013, 07:46 PM   #17
DaNnYElLoCO
Ensign

Cool! Thanks for the help What are the appropriate times to watch the TNG films? I like plot points, so I can be like
DaNnYElLoCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:48 PM   #18
DaNnYElLoCO
Ensign

This was posted by accident. Whoops!

Last edited by DaNnYElLoCO; March 27 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to post the original
DaNnYElLoCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
Of all the videos watch TMP as your final one. Only then will you be able to understand the movie.

Enjoy the ride! I wish I was you!
Why would watching TMP last help you understand TMP?

After watching everything it would probably be refreshing to lay down and take a nap? I kid, I kid...
Old March 30 2013, 03:10 AM   #20
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Cool! Thanks for the help What are the appropriate times to watch the TNG films? I like plot points, so I can be like
They didn't closely link up with any of the TV shows, so you could watch First Contact in between the fourth and fifth seasons of DS9, Insurrection after the seventh season of DS9, and Nemesis after you watch VOY. But again, these are really minor.
Old March 30 2013, 01:18 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
They didn't closely link up with any of the TV shows, so you could watch First Contact in between the fourth and fifth seasons of DS9, Insurrection after the seventh season of DS9, and Nemesis after you watch VOY. But again, these are really minor.
Shouldn't Insurrection be more mid-season 7 of DS9?

Old March 30 2013, 04:02 PM   #22
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
Shouldn't Insurrection be more mid-season 7 of DS9?

Yes, you are correct. I wasn't sure on the release date of Insurrection--for some reason I thought it came out around May 1999 but technically is a 1998 release. Weird!
Old April 19 2013, 03:40 AM   #23
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Interesting question in light of the Overlap of series and movies...

Personally, I'd take TOS first, watching all the episodes in Production Order.
Follow this by the 22 TAS episodes. Personally, being a literate fellow who enjoyed the Alan Dean Foster "Log" series, I prefer to see TAS in that order ("Beyond The Farthest Star" first, "Slaver Weapon" last).
Then watch the first 6 Trek feature films in that order...
Now watch all 7 seasons of TNG in Aired Order, and you'd might as well follow this up with Star Trek VII (Generations) through X (Nemesis).
Then DS9 and Voyager, in aired order.

Don't bother with that teen angst movie erroneously called "Star Trek" from 2009.
You'd probably be better off watching some fan-made flicks...
But if you must, watch the 4 seasons of Enterprise first, in aired order. This is strictly bottom-of-the-barrel bubblegum space adventure stuff though...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 07:51 AM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
InDon't bother with that teen angst movie erroneously called "Star Trek" from 2009.
There is more teen angst in the first five minutes of "Charlie X" than in the entire Star Trek movie.
Old April 19 2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
InDon't bother with that teen angst movie erroneously called "Star Trek" from 2009.
There is more teen angst in the first five minutes of "Charlie X" than in the entire Star Trek movie.
Except that it's Properly integrated into a storyline intended for a more adult audience!

If Abrams had remade it, he'd have whole decks being blown out, phaser fights on the outer hull...all while the camera shakes and the lens flares! Plus with guaranteed dumbed-down dialogue, making Charlie Evans into a one-dimensional comic book villain character with no real explicable motivations for his actions... And Janice Rand really would be raped by him...

I came across a script online reportedly for Intro Darkness where Khan is a Taliban-like rogue... Not that much different...
Old April 19 2013, 03:22 PM   #26
LoneDragon
Lieutenant

I'm in the middle of my Star Trek watchthrough. I skipped TOS, watched all of TNG, then almost all the movies(havent really been in the mood to watch Nemesis yet though)...I'm in season 2 of DS9 right now, I'm watching it slowly because its the only Trek series I had never seen a single episode of...then I'll watch Voayager and Enterprise.
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 04:34 PM   #27
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

If Abrams had remade it, he'd have whole decks being blown out, phaser fights on the outer hull...all while the camera shakes and the lens flares! Plus with guaranteed dumbed-down dialogue, making Charlie Evans into a one-dimensional comic book villain character with no real explicable motivations for his actions... And Janice Rand really would be raped by him...
That doesn't sound at all like the movie I've seen and enjoyed.

It must be noted that this weird little scenario comes from your head, not from JJ Abrams' or from the film, and that it is, at best, a strawman argument, and at worst a very disturbing confluence of ideas, drenched in what sounds like unfiltered resentment.
Old April 19 2013, 07:04 PM   #28
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
That doesn't sound at all like the movie I've seen and enjoyed.

It must be noted that this weird little scenario comes from your head, not from JJ Abrams' or from the film, and that it is, at best, a strawman argument, and at worst a very disturbing confluence of ideas, drenched in what sounds like unfiltered resentment.
General Notes:
1. You're easy to please, some of us kind of demand a bit more than a teen angst movie rollercoaster ride, especially with something like 200 million blown on it...

2. J.J. Abrams background speaks for itself... Like how and why he got the job he has now... His past works, and his co-writing crew ("Armageddon" "Transformers" "Lost")...
Basically the boy shouldn't be allowed anywhere near adult SF entertainment...

3. I've got a "weird head" as you say... "Unfiltered resentment" sounds good but to really impress me you have to take that extra step and Ask where such resentment can come from... I mean, anyone can point their finger at a sobbing or angry person and state the obvious, but to ask Why is a quantum leap in reasoning...
Maybe, just maybe that person was assaulted, or lost a valued possession or relative... I kind of Doubt s/he was "born that way."

4. I'm a non-conformist, free-thinker... I Analyze things from different perspectives... Nobody force-feeds me a movie's rating; nobody Tells Me to Like a movie just because everyone else Likes a movie...

5. Last but not least... This is a bit off-topic for this thread!