Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 30 2013, 01:05 AM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: One Two Eight Ten

Turbo wrote: View Post
I would say that it's very difficult to believe they could keep McGann appearing in Season 7b a secret, and even harder that they might keep an upcoming appearance from Tennant a secret during filming, but then again, they managed to keep Coleman a secret.
Coleman in "Asylum" would have been an easier secret to keep. First, all of her shots were studio-bound. Second, she may not even have filmed her scenes at the same time as the rest of the episode.

StCoop wrote: View Post
EDIT: 50th Anniversary Official News tomorrow for definite.
Odd day for an announcement. They have "The Bells of St. John" going out, so why waste two things -- the episode and the news -- on a single news cycle? From a messaging standpoint, Monday would be the better day to break the news. They can trumpet the success of "Bells" and then segue into their 50th-anniversary announcement. That would be two news cycles.

No, this timing is suspicious. Either it's a delayed reaction to the Private Eye report or they're trying to get in front of a different story.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 01:19 AM   #17
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Some at Gallifrey Base have noticed a discrepancy between two reported runtimes for "The Bells of St. John" (42 minutes vs. 45), and speculated that there's an extra scene that wasn't in the press screening version. I doubt it, but if so, said scene might reveal something that the big announcement would then give more details of.
Old March 30 2013, 01:59 AM   #18
The Wormhole
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
The only thing that seems a bit strange about this is that it seems a little random.
I can see a certain logic to it. As already suggested, they can use the actors playing Hartnell and Troughton in Adventures in Time and Space to play their respective Doctors. And with McGann and Tenant you won't have the age issues. Tennant hasn't aged that much since 2009 and we never saw the Eighth Doctor when he regenerated so you don't have to pretend he's not as old as he clearly is.

I'm assuming that while time differential worked fine as a hand wave to explain Davison being older in Time Crash's ten minutes, it mignt be seen as too much of a stretch explaining four Doctors for an hour.

And while they won't have the age issue with Eccleston, they do have his history with the show to deal with.
Old March 30 2013, 05:45 AM   #19
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I guess Moffat didn't want to run into the same troubles Terrence Dicks had with The Five Doctors. Trying to find enough for all those actors to do.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 05:53 AM   #20
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
The only thing that seems a bit strange about this is that it seems a little random.
I can see a certain logic to it. As already suggested, they can use the actors playing Hartnell and Troughton in Adventures in Time and Space to play their respective Doctors. And with McGann and Tenant you won't have the age issues. Tennant hasn't aged that much since 2009 and we never saw the Eighth Doctor when he regenerated so you don't have to pretend he's not as old as he clearly is.

I'm assuming that while time differential worked fine as a hand wave to explain Davison being older in Time Crash's ten minutes, it mignt be seen as too much of a stretch explaining four Doctors for an hour.
There's any number of sci-fi, handwave explanations as to why they're visibly older.

I'll say it again; if we get only two out of the seven surviving Doctors (or six almost-certainly-would-appear-if-asked Doctors) and an equal amount of Richard Hudnalling, it's an incredibly disappointing line-up. I'd take Bradley and Shearsmith as the First/Second Docs if they were in addition to the genuine articles, but if Tom/Peter/Colin/Sylvester don't appear and they do... *shakes head* What an absolute joke.

That's all taking for granted, of course, that this is true. The source this came from has been very, very flaky in the past and in particular, has been trying to push "OMG HINT, PAUL MCGANN IS COMING BACK " since 2009, so to say the very least, I'm skeptical. But if it is true, Rassilon help us all.
Old March 30 2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

The latest issue of DWM confirms Tennant and Billie Piper for the 50th, as well as John Hurt.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:31 PM   #22
Lonemagpie
Writer

Atticus wrote: View Post
The latest issue of DWM confirms Tennant and Billie Piper for the 50th, as well as John Hurt.
10 and Rose, big fuckin woop...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
StCoop
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
For the 99% of the audience who aren't bitter old fans yes it will be, though I'd have prefered Catherine Tate myself.

Will it be meta-crisis Doctor though?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:39 PM   #24
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Tennant is probably going to be a ramped up caricature of how he was at the end of his run. A nauseating one-dimensional, hyperactive, gurning, catch phrase spewing, crying towel using, prat.
Old March 30 2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Atticus wrote: View Post
That's the spirit!
Old March 30 2013, 12:46 PM   #26
StCoop
Commodore

captain crow wrote: View Post
Tennant is probably going to be a ramped up caricature of how he was at the end of his run. A nauseating one-dimensional, hyperactive, gurning, catch phrase spewing, crying towel using, prat.
This would be in the fantasy version of the series that exists in your head?

Did you think the most popular and succesful Doctor of all time wouldn't be back if they were doing a multi-Doctor story for the Anniversary?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:56 PM   #27
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Blogtor Who reporting it's definitely only 60 minutes.
Old March 30 2013, 01:18 PM   #28
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

This would be in the fantasy version of the series that exists in your head?
He was okay near the beginning but, near the end Tennant's Doctor was more ticking off items in a check list rather then an actual characterization.

Act hyperactive -Check
Say "Allonsy" -Check
Say "I'm so sorry" - Check
Break out the crying towel - Check
Pull stupid faces - Check

And sadly a ramped up version of how he was near the end is most likely what well get. Heck, that's what we got when Tennant guested on The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Did you think the most popular and succesful Doctor of all time wouldn't be back if they were doing a multi-Doctor story for the Anniversary?
So, Tom Baker is going to be in it then?
Old March 30 2013, 01:41 PM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

I like Tennant, and consider him to be "my Doctor" but I'm going to be disappointed if he's the only former Doctor to return. Hell, even if it's just him and the two pretending to be Hartnell and Troughton I'd be satisfied. It's an anniversary special, make some effort to bring in other Doctors than just the incumbent and immediate predecessor.
Old March 30 2013, 01:47 PM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

It's a shame Tennant is the one who hasn't aged, because I suspect, since it's Rose, it will be her Meta-crisis Doctor, not the Timelord who Regenerated into 11. That would allow for no explanation necessary for the aging.

The aging wouldn't bother me at all though, personally.

McGann would also be great, he only had the one movie, and he's fantastic in his Audios, so it would be great to get to see him again. Still, would love to see at least one of the older guys. 1 and 2 played by the Biopic actors could be really cool, especially if the Biopic airs first to acclimate us to their version.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote