Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old March 22 2013, 10:53 PM   #136
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Timby wrote: View Post
The Ravens have announced they will open the season on the road.

Peter Angelos, go eat a dick.
Better punishment would be something he's never had to do before.
Old March 23 2013, 12:58 PM   #137
chrisspringob
Commodore

Yeah, looks like the Ravens will play the Thursday night opener on the road, though we don't know who their opponent will be yet. Here's the full list of 2013 opponents for all teams btw:

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedu...lopponents.htm

Baltimore's road opponents are Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, and Denver.

From that list, I'll go out on a limb and predict that the opener will be Baltimore @ Chicago. I just have a hunch that they won't give Baltimore a divisional road game for the opener. @Denver would also look like a possibility, but Denver already has so many games on its schedule that are likely candidates for primetime scheduling, based on reunion/rivalry storylines:

Den@Ind
Den@NE
Den@NYG
Wash@Den

Can you tell me that we won't see at least three of those games in primetime (for what I think should be obvious reasons in each case)? I assume that some subset of those will be on the schedule for SNF, so for the Thursday night opener, I'll got with Balt@Chi for my prediction.
Old March 23 2013, 06:54 PM   #138
tighr
Commodore

Bal@Den would be a rematch of last season's divisional round playoff game that went to double OT and could have gone either way, deciding the Super Bowl champion. Plenty of "story" there.
Old March 23 2013, 11:13 PM   #139
chrisspringob
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
Bal@Den would be a rematch of last season's divisional round playoff game that went to double OT and could have gone either way, deciding the Super Bowl champion. Plenty of "story" there.
Yes, but there are several other playoff rematch storyline games that will probably make it to SNF during the season. Not as unique a storyline as, say, Peyton and Eli playing what'll probably be their last game against each other or Peyton returning to Indy or Shanahan returning to Denver. So many Denver games with storylines like that this season, and they can't put them all on NBC.
Old March 24 2013, 09:59 PM   #140
tighr
Commodore

Well, Elvis Dumervil just now agreed to terms with Baltimore. Does that ramp up the storyline for ya?

And the Shanahan thing is old hat, not very interesting story-wise.
Old March 29 2013, 11:20 PM   #141
Sheep
Vice Admiral

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-than-flacco/

The Cowboys and quarterback Tony Romo have a deal, and it’s reportedly a deal that will guarantee Romo even more money than Joe Flacco just received in his blockbuster contract with the Ravens.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Cowboys and Romo reached an agreement on a six-year extension that contains even more guaranteed money than the six-year, $120.6 million contract that Joe Flacco got from the Ravens.
Cowboys just stole the dumbest team in the league title from the LOLJets and the Raiders. Holy fuck.
Old March 29 2013, 11:34 PM   #142
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The market is changing for good quarterbacks. Romo is probably the fifth-best quarterback in the league right now (there are five quarterbacks with a career passing rating north of 95: Brady, Manning the Elder, Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young and ... Romo); if Dallas didn't dump money on him, another team happily would have.

The Cowboys have an awful offensive line and a non-existent running game. Their pass rush is completely and solely dependent upon DeMarcus Ware. If Romo isn't having an ace day, they lose, plain and simple. If he plays a game that's merely middle of the road, it's not enough. As of now, the entire team's success depends on Romo turning shit into gold. It's rather amazing that they can pull eight wins a season out of it.
Old March 30 2013, 12:00 AM   #143
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Admittedly I don't watch the Cowboys unless they're playing the Bears or on the Sunday night game, but whenever I do watch it seems like Romo's inconsistency is due to his own screwups as much as it is due to the rest of the team's shortcomings.

The state of QBs in the NFL is admittedly pretty sad but I'm not sure Romo's the key to anything, personally.
Old March 30 2013, 12:13 AM   #144
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sheep wrote: View Post
Admittedly I don't watch the Cowboys unless they're playing the Bears or on the Sunday night game, but whenever I do watch it seems like Romo's inconsistency is due to his own screwups as much as it is due to the rest of the team's shortcomings.
Looking at some statistics ... Romo is sixth among active quarterbacks in fourth-quarter comebacks and eighth in game-winning drives. In close games (0 - 7 point margin), Romo has a career 91.3 QB rating. In November-December (the months the media claim Romo chokes in), he has a TD:INT ratio of 99 to 40. And he has a passer rating of 90 or higher against seven of eight NFL divisions (86.3 against AFC North).

Basically, with quarterbacks right now, you have the top tier with Brees / Rodgers / Peyton / Brady, people who always seem to be on and a bad game is a rare sight from them. After that, you go to a second tier with Eli, Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco, and you could make a weak argument for Cutler.

So, Romo isn't a demigod like Brady, but he's far from being middle of the road, too. Like I said, if the Cowboys didn't give him this deal, someone else gladly would have; I can think of probably a dozen teams that would give up anyone on their roster to have Romo under center.

In any event, Romo has zero buttfumbles in his career, so he can get whatever he wants.
Old March 30 2013, 12:27 AM   #145
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

In any event, Romo has zero buttfumbles in his career, so he can get whatever he wants.
His snap-handling in the Seahawks game came pretty close...

Still, I think you're right. He's not as bad as people think he is. He's got no help at all.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 30 2013, 01:16 AM   #146
Skywalker
Admiral

Romo is probably the best quarterback the Cowboys have had since Troy Aikman. He's had his fair share of mistakes, but Cowboys fans get on his case way too much. Their team would be much, much worse without him.
Old March 30 2013, 01:22 AM   #147
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
Looking at some statistics ... Romo is sixth among active quarterbacks in fourth-quarter comebacks and eighth in game-winning drives. In close games (0 - 7 point margin), Romo has a career 91.3 QB rating. In November-December (the months the media claim Romo chokes in), he has a TD:INT ratio of 99 to 40. And he has a passer rating of 90 or higher against seven of eight NFL divisions (86.3 against AFC North).

Basically, with quarterbacks right now, you have the top tier with Brees / Rodgers / Peyton / Brady, people who always seem to be on and a bad game is a rare sight from them. After that, you go to a second tier with Eli, Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco, and you could make a weak argument for Cutler.

So, Romo isn't a demigod like Brady, but he's far from being middle of the road, too. Like I said, if the Cowboys didn't give him this deal, someone else gladly would have; I can think of probably a dozen teams that would give up anyone on their roster to have Romo under center.

Romo's numbers easily make him one of the best QBs of the last 25 years. As you say his CAREER QB rating puts him in the top 5 ever. Many don't realize he had the 6th highest passing yardage total in history last year. Romo needs a running back and a LINE and he wouldn't be running for his life.
Old March 30 2013, 01:24 AM   #148
Skywalker
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Romo needs a running back and a LINE and he wouldn't be running for his life.
This reminds me of when Steven Jackson fell right into their laps in the draft, but instead of drafting him they traded back. Instead they ended up with...Julius Jones.
Old March 30 2013, 10:54 AM   #149
chrisspringob
Commodore

More QB carousel news….

Oakland and Seattle have reportedly agreed on the terms for a trade that would involve sending Matt Flynn to Oakland in exchange for draft picks, but the trigger hasn't been pulled yet, because Oakland wants Flynn to agree to a pay cut:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...have-staredown

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Friday that trade terms between the Seahawks and Raiders have been settled. The Seahawks would acquire a 2013 draft pick and a conditional 2014 selection as part of the deal, if it's completed. The Seahawks' portion of the deal essentially is done. Now it's on the Raiders, but a deal isn't expected to be completed Friday, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

Sources familiar with Flynn's thinking told Rapoport that the quarterback would be resistant to changing the terms of his contract. That indicates the Raiders aren't necessarily happy with paying Flynn $5.25 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014. This looks like the holdup.
This comes after Carson Palmer reportedly refused to take a pay cut of his own. It sounds like Palmer is now likely to be cut, and both Arizona and Tampa Bay might be interested in signing Palmer, should he but cut as expected:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-carson-palmer

If Oakland can't get Flynn for the salary they're offering, then they might instead try to sign Kevin Kolb, though both the Bills and Jets have been rumored to have an interest in Kolb as well.
Old March 30 2013, 07:21 PM   #150
tighr
Commodore

Oakland is stupid. Palmer may not be the greatest qb ever, but he's a veteran and there are probably half a dozen teams who would sign him in a heartbeat. Unless Oakland's plan is to hang tight for a few years and develop a young qb, palmer is their only hope to win games now. Give him a defense and some receivers and he'll shine.