Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 29 2013, 12:22 PM   #16
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Dafydd ab Hugh

Fallen Heroes is one of the few Trek books I read back in the day when it was new. I also remember thoroughly enjoying it, more so than the other five DS9 books I tried.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 01:49 PM   #17
zarkon
Captain

ronny wrote: View Post
except for Fallen Heroes which I agree with Greg Cox on, it's probably the best of the numbered DS9 books. It's great.
Hmmm, that's interesting. Better then 34th Rule?
Old March 29 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

it should be Dafydd ap Hugh. Ap being the welsh 'son of' equivalent.

looked him up and can only assume he made a mistake when he changed his name to that.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Use of Time
Commodore

Hugh seems to be a little bit more graphic and grittier in his writing. Fallen Heroes was intense. I am one of the few who actually enjoyed the Invasion mini-series and remember liking Hugh book as well.
Old March 29 2013, 02:24 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Now, some early DS9 novels get a pass from me no matter how bad they are (i.e. K.W. Jeter's Warped) because when someone's writing for a brand-new show, one doesn't know much and by necessity needs to create things that will probably get contradicted by the show later. That's just the nature of the beast.
Jeter's other novel, Bloodletter, was especially noteworthy in that regard. It was obviously written from the series bible, because it utilized ideas from the bible -- like the need for engine buffers inside the wormhole -- that the series ultimately didn't even use.

junxon wrote: View Post
it should be Dafydd ap Hugh. Ap being the welsh 'son of' equivalent.

looked him up and can only assume he made a mistake when he changed his name to that.
I remember that, based on Fallen Heroes and his non-Star Trek novel Arthur War Lord, people believed that Dafydd ab Hugh was a pseudonym for Peter David.

Going back to the picture, I believe that the Doom novels won the literary equivalent of the Golden Raspberry awards.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 02:33 PM   #21
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Going back to the picture, I believe that the Doom novels won the literary equivalent of the Golden Raspberry awards.
The first two weren't bad. The second two went so far off the rails that a Golden Raspberry doesn't even begin to cover it...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Relayer1
Commodore

Smitty wrote: View Post
I actually appreciated this thread as it has pointed me to some books that I have not read. Overall sounds like people like his books.

If we disliked authors for their personal opinions, politics, color of their shirt, etc then there are many out there that would not have very many readers regardless whether they are left or right....
I had no idea about his politics when I decided that he was a rotten writer. Besides, it's not relevant. It's hardly as if his novels had a political point like Ayn Rand's.
Old March 29 2013, 03:11 PM   #23
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Or Diane Carey. Even though it always goes over my head...
Old March 29 2013, 03:28 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I had no idea about his politics when I decided that he was a rotten writer. Besides, it's not relevant. It's hardly as if his novels had a political point like Ayn Rand's.
His cowriter on the Doom books, has written some libertarian-flavored sci-fi. His alt-history Moon of Ice won the Prometheus Award for Best Libertarian Fiction in 1989.

Having read Moon of Ice, I actually thought Linaweaver's point was that libertarianism was a bad thing. He posits a United States that turns libertarian in the wake of the New Deal (since it was government overreach), but then the libertarian United States isn't the Arsenal of Democracy in the 1940s so Hitler conquers the world.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 04:33 PM   #25
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Ah, Fallen Heroes. My first TrekLit read ever.
Old March 29 2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

I have never read any DS9 books. Actually I never watched the series until very recently, loser I know. Anyway, I am at the beginning of season 5 but once I finish the series I plan to read some of the books. Sounds like Fallen Heroes is a must
Old March 29 2013, 07:18 PM   #27
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

zarkon wrote: View Post
ronny wrote: View Post
except for Fallen Heroes which I agree with Greg Cox on, it's probably the best of the numbered DS9 books. It's great.
Hmmm, that's interesting. Better then 34th Rule?
OK, maybe the 2nd best.

And I always forget Andrew Robinson's A Stitch in Time is listed as #27, because I normally see it in post-series DS9 lists, so that drops Fallen Heroes to third.

K.W. Jeter doesn't get a lot of love here but I liked Bloodletter and Peter David's The Seige is also great. As far as I'm concerned the DS9 numbered series started off very strong.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 07:20 PM   #28
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Smitty wrote: View Post
I have never read any DS9 books. Actually I never watched the series until very recently, loser I know. Anyway, I am at the beginning of season 5 but once I finish the series I plan to read some of the books. Sounds like Fallen Heroes is a must
Well, with the DS9 books, it would be best to avoid #12 The Laertian Gamble. It's at the extreme opposite end of Fallen Heroes.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I remember that, based on Fallen Heroes and his non-Star Trek novel Arthur War Lord, people believed that Dafydd ab Hugh was a pseudonym for Peter David.
Pocket also misspelled Dafydd ab Hugh - as ""Daffyd ab Hugh" - on the three covers of the "Rebels" trilogy, and he once admitted that he didn't notice when he was acknowledging the advance cover slicks.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 08:39 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Pocket also misspelled Dafydd ab Hugh - as ""Daffyd ab Hugh" - on the three covers of the "Rebels" trilogy, and he once admitted that he didn't notice when he was acknowledging the advance cover slicks.

True story: Many years ago, I signed off on the cover mechanicals for a Damon Knight novel--without noticing that we had forgotten to put the author's name on the book.

Thankfully, I was able to get Knight on the phone before he received the cover flats in the mail!

"It was a mistake! We're going to fix it! And it will never happen again!"

He was actually very good-natured about it . . . .