Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: The X-Files Vs Fringe
Fringe has a better cast 19 45.24%
The X-Files has a better cast 23 54.76%
Fringe has a better plot 17 40.48%
The X-Files has a better plot 24 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29 2013, 06:25 PM   #46
Dixie Flatline
Lieutenant

Re: Fringe vs The X-Files

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller. I don't think I missed The X-Files quite as much as I miss Fringe. I don't know if Fringe was as good a show, but I think I liked the characters more, especially Walter.
Old March 29 2013, 06:34 PM   #47
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Fringe was great. The X Files was better. IMO of course.
Old March 29 2013, 07:44 PM   #48
secretreeve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry but X=files was a cheap production gummy bear of intolerable weakness.

the first episode i ever saw was on a hospital television the night before my apendix exploded all over the operating theatre at age 7. i've seen a few more episodes over the years and make no valiant effort to forcibly watch anymore than that.

fringe on the other hand is exciting, exploring areas that we all know are possible and or banned. I think fringe was so much better purely because the fact they took risks and was the complete opposite of the complaisant attitude x-files took.
secretreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 02:17 PM   #49
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

secretreeve wrote: View Post
fringe on the other hand is exciting, exploring areas that we all know are possible and or banned.
Like what? Astral projection? Interdimensional travel? Pyrokinesis?

I wish some of these were possible, but somehow I doubt it!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:21 PM   #50
Forbin
Admiral

By an astounding coincidence of cosmic timing, the wife and I happened to resume our X-Files rewatch last night, with "War of the Coprophages", one of the afformentioned comedy episodes. I laughed a lot.

Plus, ya know, Bobbie Phillips at her hottest.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 08:01 PM   #51
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

the first episode i ever saw was on a hospital television the night before my apendix exploded all over the operating theatre at age 7. i've seen a few more episodes over the years and make no valiant effort to forcibly watch anymore than that.

fringe on the other hand is exciting, exploring areas that we all know are possible and or banned. I think fringe was so much better purely because the fact they took risks and was the complete opposite of the complaisant attitude x-files took.
What risks? Everything explored on Fringe had been done on X-Files a couple dozen times over. All you have to do to see that is watch more than three episodes. Fringe didn't take any risks. I'm pretty sure all JJ had to say to sell it was: "We're bringing X-Files back, but our FBI agent is taller and blonder than Gillian Anderson."

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 02:44 AM   #52
degra
Fleet Captain

x files easily wins. Fringe was a poor imitation with bland characters, an uninvolving romance, forced humor, stale recycled plotlines. Xf on the otherhand had two engaging leads with mulder and Scully who actually had chemistry, consistency in quality, standalones that were actually interesting and not filler like on fringe. Its first five seasons were solid. Fringe was uneven. Xf science was believable fringes science was magic bending to the will of the hacks,,,I mean writers

both ended up with unsatisfying mythologies but at least xf mythology episodes were far more interesting on their own despite not really going anywhere. Xf is one of my
top sff shows. Nothing in the last decade has even come close.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 05:29 AM   #53
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

X-files Cheap ? The X-files was made back in the days when the studios could afford big budgets for making sci fi shows. The X-files episodes were not cheap to produce. Fringe was a very good sci fi show that i watched faithfully every week but it did not have the production quality of The X-files.
Old April 22 2013, 02:51 AM   #54
Mojochi
Commodore

Certainly X-Files for sheer ingenuity alone. However, There's something wonderful & unique about the humor on Fringe, specifically John Noble's performance, Walternate, FOlivia, etc... Or is it Faux-livia?

In that way, Fringe is easily as enjoyable a show, if not more
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 01:26 PM   #55
Forbin
Admiral

it's Faux-livia.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:09 PM   #56
Gary7
Rear Admiral

X-Files was great for its time, but Fringe was a more evolved and epic kind of show. X-Files was dealing with this undercurrent of "alien conspiracy" and a long string of episodes dealing with little bits of weirdness here and there, much of it disjointed-unrelated. Fringe was one giant interconnected series. Much of what happened did for a reason that connected to other events.

I did enjoy the Mulder-Scully relationship, but it was quite limited. Fringe was much more character rich, IMHO.

I was really saddened by the shortened run of Fringe. Frankly, I think it could have gone to a full 7 seasons, instead of 4.5. But in the end, I'm glad we got what we did, because it could have easily been canceled earlier (end of Season 3).