Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 25 2013, 05:06 PM   #76
golddragon71
Lieutenant

Re: Latest acquisition!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^The only one you're missing is Death's Angel. Well, that and the two New Voyages anthologies.
Yeah i'm trying to decide which cover to get for Death's Angel
The Classic Reaper cover or The Kirk vs Redshirt

Reaper is very cool and spooky but Kirk vs Redshirt seems to meld better with the other books in the series as I have them.
That said...
The Second batch has arrived

I also got Price of the Phoenix but It's a much later edition with Spock and his Romulan girlfriend from The Enterprise Incident on the cover. I'll hold onto it for the time being until i can get a copy with a cover that fits in with the rest.

Last edited by golddragon71; March 25 2013 at 06:25 PM.
golddragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:12 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

golddragon71 wrote: View Post
Yeah i'm trying to decide which cover to get for Death's Angel
The Classic Reaper cover or The Kirk vs Redshirt
That looks like it's meant to be Scotty, since he's using some kind of tool. I can't tell what the cover has to do with the book, though. The original cover is much more fitting.

The Second batch has arrived
I hate that Galactic Whirlpool cover. It depicts Katwen as a pale blonde even though the novel clearly states that her skin is "a deep chocolate color." Which seems to be a perennial problem for David Gerrold, since the African-American lead characters in his Dingilliad trilogy were rendered as white on all three covers, even though you'd think someone would've pointed out the mistake by the time the second one came along.

Also, why the heck is there a Klingon ship on the monitor? The Klingons aren't involved in the story except for passing references at the start and end (which, come to think of it, must be meant as foreshadowing for "The Trouble With Tribbles," to which Gerrold reportedly intended this book to be an immediate prequel).

In fact, the only decent cover in that lot is the Spock Must Die! one. The creature on the World Without End cover is far more humanoid than the Chatalians, and that archway makes it look like it's about to step aside and show off the next Showcase on The Price is Right. And the other two are just generic, far too bland for the books they contain.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:21 AM   #78
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Except for the Grimm Reaper cover, all those are 1985 covers. The Grimm Reaper cover looks like an amalgamation of the 81 cover art with the later 85 logo.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:36 AM   #79
Reanok
Commodore

Today I went to one of our local bookstores and found some old TNg novels I bought used Debtor's planet and Grounded. These books are ones I have never read before. Has anyone read these books are the stories interesting. This store alaso sales the news Startrek Counting down to darkness comic books.The art is awell drawn in the 2 comic books I glaned through today.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:56 AM   #80
Paper Moon
Commander

Got The Stuff of Dreams last night; already read and reviewed!
Paper Moon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:32 PM   #81
golddragon71
Lieutenant

and here's my latest batch

as Christopher pointed out I'm now only waiting on Death's Angel (I chose the Kirk and Redshirt cover btw) and the replacement for Price of the Phoenix. after that I'm going to look at the two New Voyages anthologies
Old March 26 2013, 11:08 PM   #82
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Reanok wrote: View Post
Today I went to one of our local bookstores and found some old TNg novels I bought used Debtor's planet and Grounded. These books are ones I have never read before. Has anyone read these books are the stories interesting. This store alaso sales the news Startrek Counting down to darkness comic books.The art is awell drawn in the 2 comic books I glaned through today.
I've read both. "Debtor's Planet" is a sequel to the Season 1 finale "The Neutral Zone" as it features Ralph Offenhouse as an Ambassador fr the Federation.

"Grounded" I'm just about to re-read for the second time. I first read it about 20 years ago when I was a kid. Its one that people of all ages can enjoy (according to Voyages of Imagination, "Gronded" was on the New York Times Betseller list for 3 weeks).
Old March 27 2013, 05:27 AM   #83
Reanok
Commodore

Tom Swift Thanks for the information about Debtor's Planet and Grounded.I plan on reading these books after finishsing The weight of worlds.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 12:32 AM   #84
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

"Debtor's Planet" takes place in 2369, TNG's 5th season, and I think the events of the book were referenced in "Mere Mortals" (which is set in 2380), when it was mentioned that he had been made a Top man of Bacco's administration.
Old March 28 2013, 06:37 PM   #85
kirk55555
Commodore

Sock, Messiah was a really creepy book, mostly because of

Spock - Messiah, Fate of the Phoenix and The Price of the Phoenix are the only Star Trek books I've ever gotten rid of. SM was ok but really creeped me out, and FotP and PotP were confusing and just sucked. I had a teacher who had a personal library of books in her classroom. She knew I liked Star Trek, so when she got some donations from someone else, she just gave me the Next Generation Tech manual, first TNG episode guide and a big book about the cast of TOS. I gave her several books for her classroom library that I didn't want to thank her, including those three star trek novels. I definately got the better end of that transaction
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 09:54 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, the sexuality in Spock, Messiah was very '70s and unliberated. But it left quite an impression on those of us who read the book as adolescent males -- clearly the target audience. I still have the line "Sara's arms unfurled to reveal jutting breasts barely covered..." burned into my memory.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:48 PM   #87
Garrovick
Commander

I found a copy of the Fotonovel for The Galileo Seven today at Half Price Books - picked it up for around a dollar. Brings my Fotonovel collection up to 4 books. I just love that series in all its glorious cheesiness... They are fun reminders of the days when there were no VHS tapes to watch.

When I was a kid in the '70s they used to show reruns of TOS every weeknight at 10:30, which drove me nuts during the school year because my parents made me go to bed at 10. I used to leave my bedroom door open so I could listen to the show on my parent's set (my mom was a fan too). The way our house was laid out, I could lay on the floor in my darkened bedroom and watch across the hall into my parents' room and see the TV from there. I did that a few times if I knew my dad was already asleep and wouldn't get out of bed and spot me. If I ever heard that magical phrase "all I could get was the name, Constellation, then I lost it", then getting out of bed became mandatory. I remember a few years later when I set a tape recorder up in front of the TV and recorded the audio of "The Doomsday Machine" onto a 60-minute cassette tape...
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 04:17 AM   #88
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, the sexuality in Spock, Messiah was very '70s and unliberated. But it left quite an impression on those of us who read the book as adolescent males -- clearly the target audience. I still have the line "Sara's arms unfurled to reveal jutting breasts barely covered..." burned into my memory.
this and your previous posts really made me laugh!
Old March 29 2013, 04:24 AM   #89
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Garrovick wrote: View Post
When I was a kid in the '70s they used to show reruns of TOS every weeknight at 10:30, which drove me nuts during the school year because my parents made me go to bed at 10. I used to leave my bedroom door open so I could listen to the show on my parent's set (my mom was a fan too). The way our house was laid out, I could lay on the floor in my darkened bedroom and watch across the hall into my parents' room and see the TV from there. I did that a few times if I knew my dad was already asleep and wouldn't get out of bed and spot me. If I ever heard that magical phrase "all I could get was the name, Constellation, then I lost it", then getting out of bed became mandatory. I remember a few years later when I set a tape recorder up in front of the TV and recorded the audio of "The Doomsday Machine" onto a 60-minute cassette tape...
Wow, my situation was the same. Fortunately my school was a year around affair (9 weeks of school, 3 weeks of vaca, rinse/repeat) so I did not have to wait so long between times I could stay up for Star Trek. I also recorded the episodes on cassette and would listen to them later in my room. Sounds weird now I guess but it was all we had at the time. When my folks both died in 2000 and 2002 I ran across a few of those tapes (and a lot of other interesting stuff) when we emptied the house to sell it. Great memories.
Old March 29 2013, 07:01 PM   #90
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Garrovick wrote: View Post
I found a copy of the Fotonovel for The Galileo Seven today at Half Price Books - picked it up for around a dollar. Brings my Fotonovel collection up to 4 books. I just love that series in all its glorious cheesiness... They are fun reminders of the days when there were no VHS tapes to watch.
Well I don't remember the days of no VHS or Betamax. But I managed to pick up the whole series of Fotonovels a few years back at a used book store. I think I paid something like $15 dollars for the whole set (these are the ones based on the episodes, not the movie photo novels, which I do have Star Trek II). I just love the photo of Spock and McCoy in A Piece Of The Action with their surprise look to the announcer on the radio, and I think Spock was holding a 45.

LONG LIVE VINYL!