Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 29 2013, 06:37 PM   #91
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Obesity linked to a gut bacteria

gturner wrote: View Post
Now we'll have to deride obese people as being big sacks of fat, lazy bacteria.
We're all just sacks of bacteria, really.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 08:07 PM   #92
gturner
Admiral

This also might be a good time to ponder on something I think I mentioned before in this thread, could the obesity "epidemic" be in some way linked to our overuse of anti-biotics, creating frequent open niches in our gut flora that provide opportunities for re-colonization by the less-desirable bacteria? Basically, we did this only become a problem lately?

Another idea to consider is that these bacteria can't normally thrive because they simply run their host out of energy (as most species face pretty harsh constraints on food input because they're already living on the margins) or get their host eaten as fast as an obese gazelle in a lion cage.

If food input is constrained, it should result in a less-fit host, or perhaps less total food for the bacteria, limiting their success. Or perhaps in their normal host they serve a very useful function in helping put on winter fat for hibernation and are tuned to respond to particular types of caloric intake, and by happenstance we both picked them up and started eating in a way that somewhat matches their natural host.

There are lots of interesting evolutionary questions raised by these bugs, since it is an issue where the ecosystem in our guts interfaces with the ecosystem in the great big world of hunting and gathering.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 01:19 AM   #93
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

I admit I didn't read the original article. However I already know what it's going to say.

Funny because I just bought myself a Bodymedia Fit sensor, and this thing kicks ass! I know exactly how many calories I'm burning daily now.

The level of good to bad bacteria in your gut simply determines the amount of calories that the body will successfully absorb. If you want to have a healthy gut flora, the first thing you should be doing is supplementing with a good Probiotic. I like using Flora products for this.

Second thing you need to do is to take a teaspoon of Lactulose every other day or so. This actually promotes growth of good bacteria in your colon (Probiotics mostly in your small intestine)

Third thing you should do is supplement with a little bit of good quality fibre. Preferably a fibre that's a mix of different sources, like psyllium and flax seeds, etc.

As for losing weight, you simply need to eat less than you burn. With my new sensor I found that even with 40mins of cardio in the morning, a full day of walking around my office building and lifting small boxes, and a 40 min weight lifting session in the evening, I found that I'm burning 3400 calories a day roughly.

Today being a holiday for me, and pretty much sitting around all day, I still burnt 2800 calories.

Since I've been tracking my calories, you'd be surprised how quickly calories add up. Yesterday I had a breakfast sandwich that is 500 calories. For lunch I had a meal from a Greek place I know here, and that was around 1200 calories. For dinner I had 2 chicken legs with a side salad. That was around 600 calories.

Just on that I reached my calorie limit for the day if I want to burn off 2lbs a week.

Today I couldn't do it. Sitting around at home, bored, I had a piece of cheesecake that was here in the fridge (1000 calories) for breakfast. I had some mini tacos for lunch (700 calories) and I had a chicken breast for dinner with a salad (400 calories)

So I'm still around 700 calories below my baseline, but I'm really tempted to eat another piece of cheesecake lol.

I'm just saying all this because to really lose bodyfat it does take a bit of effort. It's all worth it though, and the only reason I have to lose fat in the first place is because of my injuries that benched me for 3 years.
Old March 30 2013, 05:14 AM   #94
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I admit I didn't read the original article. However I already know what it's going to say.
[...]
Yeeeeeeeeah...you should really read the article...

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote