Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What ethnicity are you?
White 78 82.98%
Black 2 2.13%
Asian 1 1.06%
Hispanic 1 1.06%
Mixed race 5 5.32%
Other 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29 2013, 05:18 AM   #151
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: What ethnicity are you?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Oh deer.
The appropriate expression is "D'oh!" A deer. A female deer.

RAMA wrote: View Post
Well I'm white, I call myself Italian but I'm really half Italian, half Swiss.
Well, the Swiss are all something else anyway, right? I mean, there's French Swiss, German Swiss and Italian Swiss.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Oh, you should look them up; the idiocy is spectacular! They think pasteurization is the height of evil, that it corrupts milk and makes it bad for you. My half-sister is one, and the height of her irresponsibility came when she happily consumed raw milk, eggs, cheese, and meat whilst pregnant. Or at least I thought that was the height of irresponsibility, until my new nephew was born and she revealed herself to be an antivaxer.
Jesus Christ, if she's so opposed to all the advances in public health over the past couple of centuries, why doesn't she hunt and gather her own food and live in a cave?

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Green.
You green people are the greatest. You're all such good dancers. And your women are HOT!

Last edited by scotpens; March 29 2013 at 05:34 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 05:36 AM   #152
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Fair enough. Can't say as I've really heard about that movement myself, which is why I jumped to the Amish first since I'm fairly familiar with them.
Oh, you should look them up; the idiocy is spectacular! They think pasteurization is the height of evil, that it corrupts milk and makes it bad for you. My half-sister is one, and the height of her irresponsibility came when she happily consumed raw milk, eggs, cheese, and meet whilst pregnant. Or at least I thought that was the height of irresponsibility, until my new nephew was born and she revealed herself to be an antivaxer. For the record, this isn't the wonderful sister and nephews whom I post pictures of all the time!
Eeevil pasteurization... Just so strange.

So like whole-food folks on steroids? Raw meat, ugh... although the antivax thing, gah!
Old March 29 2013, 10:38 AM   #153
iguana_tonante
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Well, the Swiss are all something else anyway, right? I mean, there's French Swiss, German Swiss and Italian Swiss.
At least they speak the language and are familiar with the culture, which is more than many people who call themselves "Italians" (i.e. Americans with maybe an Italian great-grandfather) do.
Old March 29 2013, 02:39 PM   #154
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Oh, you should look them up; the idiocy is spectacular! They think pasteurization is the height of evil, that it corrupts milk and makes it bad for you. My half-sister is one, and the height of her irresponsibility came when she happily consumed raw milk, eggs, cheese, and meat whilst pregnant. Or at least I thought that was the height of irresponsibility, until my new nephew was born and she revealed herself to be an antivaxer.
Jesus Christ, if she's so opposed to all the advances in public health over the past couple of centuries, why doesn't she hunt and gather her own food and live in a cave?
You're preaching to the choir telling me that.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
At least they speak the language and are familiar with the culture, which is more than many people who call themselves "Italians" (i.e. Americans with maybe an Italian great-grandfather) do.
To be fair, there is a pretty distinct Italian-American culture on some parts of the states, but I get what you're saying.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 05:38 PM   #155
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
So sad ... I'm the only Asian/Filipino on the BBS?

To be more precise, my deep, deep ancestors were originally from Eastern China. I submitted a DNA sample to the Genographic Project a couple of years ago and had my paternal side analyzed.

Haplogroup O (M175)

I guess I fall under the category of Austronesian/Malayo-Polynesian.
I just submitted my DNA sample to 23andMe, primarily to take part in medical research, but they also provide ancestry info. I think that's going to be fascinating, but I'm disappointed that I can get only the maternal side analyzed. My father's deceased, I don't have a brother, and I don't have a Y chromosome of my own.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 05:42 PM   #156
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Suisses Romands, not French Swiss. Or at least say francophones Swiss.
Old March 29 2013, 05:44 PM   #157
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

^My parents are planning to have a DNA sampling done. My mom's family history is very interesting (see my earlier post in the thread) to say the least!
Old March 29 2013, 07:44 PM   #158
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

To be fair, there is a pretty distinct Italian-American culture on some parts of the states, but I get what you're saying.
While true, Italian-American culture isn't the same thing as Italian culture. And I say this as an Italian-American (ish) who does speak Italian (that I had to learn in school, but at least my Grandfather spoke Italian). Although my family is from Northern Italy and far removed from the Italian-American culture, which is pretty firmly meridionale.
Old March 29 2013, 07:46 PM   #159
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh, I know, and I agree entirely. I was just pointing out that saying one is "Italian" in America actually does often carry some meaning, unlike a lot of other distant heritages white people are fond of referencing. I get really annoyed at people who cite their Cherokee ancestry, for example, when it was, like iguanas example, a great-great-great-great-great-grandmother and they have no clue what it means to be Indian.

View my art!
Old March 29 2013, 07:51 PM   #160
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Fair enough, good point.
Old March 29 2013, 09:03 PM   #161
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Shaytan wrote: View Post
Suisses Romands, not French Swiss. Or at least say francophones Swiss.
Excuse me, I hope I didn't inadvertently offend. The French-speaking Swiss are totally different from you Froggies.

. . . I get really annoyed at people who cite their Cherokee ancestry, for example, when it was, like iguanas example, a great-great-great-great-great-grandmother and they have no clue what it means to be Indian.
Yeah, a lot of Americans who may have a tiny percentage of Cherokee blood will play up that part of their ancestry because they think it makes them more interesting.
Old March 29 2013, 09:12 PM   #162
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I guess it's sad if one thinks one's ethnicity is the most interesting thing about oneself.

View my art!
Old March 29 2013, 09:17 PM   #163
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I guess it's sad if one thinks one's ethnicity is the most interesting thing about oneself.
Well, a person might think so if he or she happens to have a dull, boring personality.
Old March 29 2013, 09:39 PM   #164
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
While true, Italian-American culture isn't the same thing as Italian culture. And I say this as an Italian-American (ish) who does speak Italian (that I had to learn in school, but at least my Grandfather spoke Italian).
That's what I meant. There is a distinct, peculiar Italian-American culture in the US, which is actually very interesting and worthy of pride.

But it ain't Italian, and it annoys me slightly to see people boast (especially with regards to 'ethnicity') "I'm half-Italian!" Uh, no, you are not.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; March 29 2013 at 10:06 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 09:40 PM   #165
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Excuse me, I hope I didn't inadvertently offend. The French-speaking Swiss are totally different from you Froggies.
I don't know if Swiss people are offended by that but usually other francophones don't like being associated with us