Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 29 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
hux
Lieutenant Commander

Animated Series

Should i buy the animated series or is it an unnecessary addition to my collection (i notice there isn't a section on here for discussing the animnated series) but some of it clearly is canon such as Kirks middle name and i think there's a few facts about Vulcan that came from the series

I'm tempted because many see it as the 4th season to the original series and the fact that most of the cast came back to do the voices for it, makes me think it's probably worth having

I know the animation isn't that brilliant but are the stories any good

thoughts

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Animated Series

I love TAS. It's actually my earliest

It was actually the thing that I watched the most of Classic Trek wise when it aired in the UK in the mid 90s. Other than that I was always just the films and TNG onwards. I know the studios don't consider it canon, but I've wondered how much was actually contradicted. I read one of IDW's TOS series and they had Arex in it, and I loved that TAS put two very alien looking characters on the bridge, even if one of those was a cat lady.

Yesteryear was also brilliant.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Forbin
Admiral

Some of the stories are good, one or two are very good, and some of them are goofy. It was aimed at kids but the writers and producers tried to raise it above that level. I think most of us consider at least "Yesteryear", the story of Spock's childhood, to be canon-worthy.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

TAS is pretty damn cool, and no Trek DVD collection is complete without it.
Old March 29 2013, 01:52 PM   #5
bbailey861
Admiral

This set, which can now be picked up for around 20-25 bucks is worth it. While not a fan of Filmation's animation, myself, the stories make up for it. When I put a disc in now, I prefer just listening to it and imagining the scenes. If you do pick it up - make sure you watch the bonus features - they are very good.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
22 Stars
Commodore

It is coming to Bluray sometime soon, so you may want to wait, since you have waiting this long. I was hoping someone/company would do a ReAnimated version, using the original audio tracks, and updating it with fun modern animation.

Some fans have started, but I think that would be a fun project. I would love to work on/see that happen.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 03:02 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The Animated Series is mostly awful, but I love it nonetheless.

If you enjoy "bad" episodes of Trek, buy and enjoy. If not, give it a miss.

NightJim wrote: View Post
I know the studios don't consider it canon, but I've wondered how much was actually contradicted.
No more than how the other Trek series' contradict each other (see the videos in my sig for some examples)

Of the top of my head, "The Magicks of Megas Tu" directly contradicts Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (in the former, the Enterprise explores the centre of the galaxy, in the latter "no one has ever made it to the centre of the galaxy") and "The Slaver Weapon", being a Trekified rewrite of the Known Space short story "The Soft Weapon", doesn't fit with the modern Trek chronology. Sulu talks about four Man/Kzin wars, the last of which was 200 years prior to the episode - which would be about the time of Star Trek: First Contact.

There have been some huge nods to TOS in live-action Trek:
The young Spock scenes from 2009's Star Trek were based on those in "Yesteryear" - some parts copied word-for-word.

The Sehlat seen in "Yesteryear" would be mentioned in, and then crop up, in Star Trek: Enterprise.

Kor's old ship which he talks about in Deep Space Nine is the Klothos, from the animated episode "The Time Trap"
I read one of IDW's TOS series and they had Arex in it, and I loved that TAS put two very alien looking characters on the bridge, even if one of those was a cat lady.
Also, Arex and M'Ress, transplanted to the 24th century, have been a part of Peter David's Star Trek: New Frontier novel series since the late 90's.
Yesteryear was also brilliant.
Indeed. By far the best TAS episode.
Old March 29 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Borrow or rent it and take a look before you buy.

TAS is a mixed bag. There are some high points (Yesteryear) and some low points (The Infinite Vulcan), and a lot of stuff in-between. If you are a compleatist, you'll want it. If not you might decide to skip this one.

King Daniel wrote:
The Sehlat seen in "Yesteryear" would be mentioned in, and then crop up, in Star Trek: Enterprise.
Spock's childhood pet sehlat was fist mentioned in the TOS episode Journey to Babel. TAS is just being consistent with TOS here. Since both episodes were written by D.C. Fontana, this is not a surprise, I guess
Old March 29 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
TAS is pretty damn cool, and no Trek DVD collection is complete without it.
Absolutely Agree. TAS is the basically the completion of TOS five year mission. A must have and very cool.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

22 Stars wrote: View Post
I was hoping someone/company would do a ReAnimated version, using the original audio tracks, and updating it with fun modern animation.
22 Stars,

Me too.

Hux,

Members usually discuss TAS in the TOS Forum, since, as you stated, some people see the TAS as the 4th Season of TOS.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

I know the studios don't consider it canon...
I'm amazed that this myth persists. It hasn't been true for over two decades.

What happened was that in 1989, Gene Roddenberry issued a memo which basically declared that the animated series wasn't part of the canon. That was his personal preference, and it was binding as long as he was the one running the show. But then, in 1991, Roddenberry died, and his preference for how to treat TAS ceased to be binding the moment that happened. There have been a number of references to ideas from TAS in subsequent canon, as early as "Unification" referencing the events of "Yesteryear."

True, there are a few TAS episodes that have been contradicted by later works, like "The Magicks of Megas-tu" and "The Slaver Weapon." But then, there are live-action movies and films that have also been contradicted. The way "The Alternative Factor" portrayed antimatter and dilithium has been contradicted by all subsequent and prior references to those substances. VGR: "Threshold" has been officially declared apocryphal by its own writers. VGR: "Fury" made claims about the difficulty of changing course at warp which, again, all prior and subsequent Trek has contradicted. And the ease of travel to the center of the galaxy in both "Megas-tu" and The Final Frontier has been contradicted by DS9 and VGR. Any long-running canon ignores or contradicts earlier parts of itself eventually.

Not to mention that TAS is fully included on Memory Alpha as part of the canon material rather than as apocrypha, and it's counted on Startrek.com along with the other series and films. And nobody's kept the tie-in novels, comics, and computer games from referencing TAS for a long time now; indeed, such references have only been getting more frequent in the past few years.

So the studio doesn't treat TAS any differently than it treats any other Trek series. And really, it's not the studio's place to say anyway. They don't care from canon, they just want to make money. It's the current creators of new screen material who define what counts and what doesn't. That's why Roddenberry's opinion was law so long as he was the showrunner, and why it stopped applying when he died and his successors started working in TAS nods here and there. As for the current creators of screen material, they practically remade scenes from "Yesteryear" in the first act of the 2009 movie, so that makes their stance pretty clear.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I know the studios don't consider it canon...
I'm amazed that this myth persists. It hasn't been true for over two decades.

What happened was that in 1989, Gene Roddenberry issued a memo which basically declared that the animated series wasn't part of the canon. That was his personal preference, and it was binding as long as he was the one running the show. But then, in 1991, Roddenberry died, and his preference for how to treat TAS ceased to be binding the moment that happened. There have been a number of references to ideas from TAS in subsequent canon, as early as "Unification" referencing the events of "Yesteryear."

True, there are a few TAS episodes that have been contradicted by later works, like "The Magicks of Megas-tu" and "The Slaver Weapon." But then, there are live-action movies and films that have also been contradicted. The way "The Alternative Factor" portrayed antimatter and dilithium has been contradicted by all subsequent and prior references to those substances. VGR: "Threshold" has been officially declared apocryphal by its own writers. VGR: "Fury" made claims about the difficulty of changing course at warp which, again, all prior and subsequent Trek has contradicted. And the ease of travel to the center of the galaxy in both "Megas-tu" and The Final Frontier has been contradicted by DS9 and VGR. Any long-running canon ignores or contradicts earlier parts of itself eventually.

Not to mention that TAS is fully included on Memory Alpha as part of the canon material rather than as apocrypha, and it's counted on Startrek.com along with the other series and films. And nobody's kept the tie-in novels, comics, and computer games from referencing TAS for a long time now; indeed, such references have only been getting more frequent in the past few years.

So the studio doesn't treat TAS any differently than it treats any other Trek series. And really, it's not the studio's place to say anyway. They don't care from canon, they just want to make money. It's the current creators of new screen material who define what counts and what doesn't. That's why Roddenberry's opinion was law so long as he was the showrunner, and why it stopped applying when he died and his successors started working in TAS nods here and there. As for the current creators of screen material, they practically remade scenes from "Yesteryear" in the first act of the 2009 movie, so that makes their stance pretty clear.
Interesting TAS facts Christopher.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Danger Ace
Commander

hux wrote: View Post
Should i buy the animated series or is it an unnecessary addition to my collection. ... I know the animation isn't that brilliant but are the stories any good
thoughts
Based on my recollection: No, TAS isn't necessary. The animation wasn't great but was standard for the day. The most irratating feature for me was the voice acting. It was like they recorded their parts one line at a time with no real context and then mixed & matched later. Performances came across as very subdued and wooden.

Last edited by Danger Ace; March 30 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 09:29 PM   #14
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

hux wrote: View Post
Should i buy the animated series or is it an unnecessary addition to my collection (i notice there isn't a section on here for discussing the animnated series) but some of it clearly is canon such as Kirks middle name and i think there's a few facts about Vulcan that came from the series

I'm tempted because many see it as the 4th season to the original series and the fact that most of the cast came back to do the voices for it, makes me think it's probably worth having

I know the animation isn't that brilliant but are the stories any good

thoughts
The show is quite decent. There are some great episodes, and you get to see your favorite Trek characters animated.
Amazon.uk has it for £13 used, so I would consider that a worthwhile investment for any Star Trek fan.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
It was like they recorded their parts one line at a time with no real context and then mixed & matched later.
In some cases, that's what happened. Lines were sometimes recorded alone in hotel rooms and sent in.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote