RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,426
Posts: 5,506,879
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 633
Newest member: wilpatbenthe3

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old March 29 2013, 12:53 AM   #46
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral
 
Finngle Bells's Avatar
 
Location: Finn
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

^I didn't see any evidence of either in the ones I watched. It may have been evident from where you were sitting (since you were actually there), but not from my laptop.
Finngle Bells is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 12:59 AM   #47
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 
Location: SPACESHIP!
Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

In the video titles something regarding signals with the white car with the black trunk, the guy changes lanes twice with no signal and then proceeds to run the red light.

In other videos, I will concede that the wide angle lens on the camera makes things look further away than they are. In the video "What happens when you assume..." the white Ford was a lot closer than it looks.
__________________
"I'm a fan of good sci-fi. Star Trek. Battlestar. That Joss Whedon show." - Nathan Fillion, Castle
Flux Capacitor is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 01:15 AM   #48
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Maybe my experience with bad drivers or judgment of them is similar to yours, Flux, because in all of the videos I saw the problem that occurred from your POV, and thing that would annoy me. The exception maybe being in the night-time videos but only because of visibility. As a suggestion maybe use the video description section to outline what's happening and why the driver ticked you off. The first video with the on-screen annotations helped to see the situation and know what the problem was worked nice.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 01:22 AM   #49
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

The two of you should start your own YouTube channel where you bitch about things that don't bother the rest of us.
Kestra is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 01:25 AM   #50
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Bad drivers that do annoying, illegal and even dangerous things I'm sure bothers everyone.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 01:26 AM   #51
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral
 
Finngle Bells's Avatar
 
Location: Finn
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

^reminds me of the issues you had with your neighbors and posting about all kinds of things that you suspected was going on...
Finngle Bells is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 04:38 AM   #52
Pete Schweddy
No one can resist my Schweddy balls!
 
Pete Schweddy's Avatar
 
Location: the 4th hanson bro
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Bad drivers that do annoying, illegal and even dangerous things I'm sure bothers everyone.

Until and unless they do something that has a direct impact on what I'm doing on the road, namely cause or almost cause an accident with me, I really don't have take the time to get all worked up about them.

No sense giving someone free rent space in my head.
__________________
-"bro is right (take note of that, because I'll probably never say it again )" - Orac Zen
-"Treasure my ass!" - star
-"I want medical science to advance sufficiently so that I can bear your offspring." - Holdfast to me.
Pete Schweddy is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 06:05 AM   #53
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 
Location: SPACESHIP!
Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

I was able to salvage the video from today after all. This one should be sufficiently "out of the ordinary" for you. The woman nearly hits the pedestrians because she won't yield to their right of way, and then nearly hits me when she go wide into my lane. Both driver and passenger just looked at me, perplexed. Had this ended up in an accident (luckily I was yielding to the peds myself so I didn't start turning as soon as I might have) the video would have proved very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3USNrRWxFc
__________________
"I'm a fan of good sci-fi. Star Trek. Battlestar. That Joss Whedon show." - Nathan Fillion, Castle
Flux Capacitor is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 10:10 AM   #54
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Okaaaaaay...

1) Out of the ordinary? Really?
...no, not really. Not even a little bit. I see far crazier things than this every week in San Francisco. This just looks like a small oopsie to me. The driver of the van simply overestimated how far along the pedestrians were in the crosswalk, by like... a second or two. They barely even spared the van a glance (the one on the right only looks back when you honk), and she certainly didn't "nearly hit" them. I have been nearly hit by a car, and that's not what this was. The peds didn't even speed up their pace, and the van never got that close to them. She began her turn, slowed down, pulled to the right and toward you a little bit to get around them, and that was it. Not seeing anything worth getting worked up over or Youtube'ing here, honestly.

2) Disclaimer: I don't drive. So I very well could be simply mistaken here... but it looks to me like you arrived at the intersection after she was already halfway through her turn. Wouldn't she have the right of way? Are you really supposed to wait to make your left turn not only for cars making right turns across from you, but also for cars who WILL make right turns but haven't even arrived at the intersection yet?

3) Furthermore, right-of-way aside, when I did BEGIN to learn to drive (hated it, which is why I didn't even bother trying to finish the process ), one thing that was drilled into me: regardless of who has the right-of-way in a given situation or who made what mistake, common sense and safe driving practices dictate that whoever has the last opportunity to prevent an accident is obligated to do so. Even if you had the right of way, wouldn't it have been more prudent to simply wait, and not even pull forward into the intersection at all, since - right or wrong - the van was halfway through the turn when you arrived at the line, and clearly had to wait/go around the peds?

So... as to paragraphs 2 and 3, am I right? Or am I full of it?
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 10:18 AM   #55
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I was able to salvage the video from today after all. This one should be sufficiently "out of the ordinary" for you. The woman nearly hits the pedestrians because she won't yield to their right of way, and then nearly hits me when she go wide into my lane. Both driver and passenger just looked at me, perplexed. Had this ended up in an accident (luckily I was yielding to the peds myself so I didn't start turning as soon as I might have) the video would have proved very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3USNrRWxFc
Man, that's riveting stuff. The tension is killing me.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 11:17 AM   #56
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 
Location: SPACESHIP!
Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Saito S wrote: View Post
Okaaaaaay...

1) Out of the ordinary? Really?
...no, not really. Not even a little bit. I see far crazier things than this every week in San Francisco. This just looks like a small oopsie to me. The driver of the van simply overestimated how far along the pedestrians were in the crosswalk, by like... a second or two. They barely even spared the van a glance (the one on the right only looks back when you honk), and she certainly didn't "nearly hit" them. I have been nearly hit by a car, and that's not what this was. The peds didn't even speed up their pace, and the van never got that close to them. She began her turn, slowed down, pulled to the right and toward you a little bit to get around them, and that was it. Not seeing anything worth getting worked up over or Youtube'ing here, honestly.

2) Disclaimer: I don't drive. So I very well could be simply mistaken here... but it looks to me like you arrived at the intersection after she was already halfway through her turn. Wouldn't she have the right of way? Are you really supposed to wait to make your left turn not only for cars making right turns across from you, but also for cars who WILL make right turns but haven't even arrived at the intersection yet?

3) Furthermore, right-of-way aside, when I did BEGIN to learn to drive (hated it, which is why I didn't even bother trying to finish the process ), one thing that was drilled into me: regardless of who has the right-of-way in a given situation or who made what mistake, common sense and safe driving practices dictate that whoever has the last opportunity to prevent an accident is obligated to do so. Even if you had the right of way, wouldn't it have been more prudent to simply wait, and not even pull forward into the intersection at all, since - right or wrong - the van was halfway through the turn when you arrived at the line, and clearly had to wait/go around the peds?

So... as to paragraphs 2 and 3, am I right? Or am I full of it?
Right of way is not dictated by who arrives to the intersection first. Cars going straight and turning right have the right of way and left turning vehicles are to yield to oncoming traffic. In this situation it wasn't so much a right of way situation between she and I, it was the fact that she pulled into my lane (right side) instead of hers (left side) simply because she was too impatient to wait for the peds to cross. I make that right turn every day and haven't had anyone pull into my lane like that before. And per your last paragraph...I actually did wait...for the pedestrians to clear my path. I only pulled forward because a. I had the green and b. had the van followed the rules she would not have ended up in my lane but rather the lane to my left. I honked because all of a sudden she's cutting me off by pulling wide into my lane. Had I not been "prudent" this video would have been evidence for our insurance companies to determine fault of the collision that would have occurred. And yes, she did get very close to the pedestrians, the video doesn't do the distance proper justice.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I was able to salvage the video from today after all. This one should be sufficiently "out of the ordinary" for you. The woman nearly hits the pedestrians because she won't yield to their right of way, and then nearly hits me when she go wide into my lane. Both driver and passenger just looked at me, perplexed. Had this ended up in an accident (luckily I was yielding to the peds myself so I didn't start turning as soon as I might have) the video would have proved very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3USNrRWxFc
Man, that's riveting stuff. The tension is killing me.
This is what I'm talking about. There's no need to be sarcastic. You're just baiting at this point.
__________________
"I'm a fan of good sci-fi. Star Trek. Battlestar. That Joss Whedon show." - Nathan Fillion, Castle
Flux Capacitor is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 11:43 AM   #57
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

I don't mind Flux Capacitor doing this, and some of the videos are even slightly amusing (the guy pushing the cart for example), but I have to say - man, traffic is harmless where you're from.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 11:46 AM   #58
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Ok, watched that last one. They didn't "almost" hit anyone. They likely didn't immediately see the pedestrians from where they started, and they slowed and went around once they did. No slaming brakes, they stopped like 10 feet short of them, etc. Feels like you're LOOKING for material to post about, so over-hyping fairly minor things.

Want to know what else I noticed? YOUR car heading into the intersection that was already 'in use'. You can see the van turning well before you start to turn. Yes, if it's 2 lanes, you can expect the van to stay in the one, but you don't even slow down very much, you just barrel on in expecting it to be fine. You claim YOU saw the pedestrians, so not sure how you weren't expecting to have to slow to sort out the van's issue. Unless you wanted to beat the van by using the pedestrians as a blocker to stop the van but let you go? Maybe it's lack of perspective from the camera, but it doesn't look like you helped things on your end, and you had the best view the whole time. You saw the van and the pedestrians, right? How did you adding yourself to the intersection without slowing to a stop resolve that for anyone?
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 02:12 PM   #59
mimic
Rear Admiral
 
mimic's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

I find the assigning of genders interesting. Perhaps in some cases he can see who is actually driving and knows for certain, but it seems like "slow/lost/minivan driver" = woman and "aggressive/truck" = man. I wonder how accurate that is.

Whenever my Dad gets annoyed by a slow or hesitant driver he says "you go, girl!" and it drives me nuts. Roughly half the time it's a man behind the wheel.
__________________
"Freeze Ray. Tell your friends." - Dr. Horrible

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline  
Old March 29 2013, 02:36 PM   #60
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
This thread is hardly about me venting or complaining about coworkers. It was about sharing some videos that myself and family/friends found funny and entertaining and I thought you might as well. A simple, "Nah, I don't find these funny. Try only posting videos like ______ instead" would have been constructive feedback. Although with the exception of maybe 2 videos I'm not sure how people aren't seeing what was wrong.

Long story short...I posted these because others found them funny. I thought you guys might too. Some of you don't and that's fine, but there's no need to get pissy and sarcastic about it.
Nah, I don't find these funny. Or even slightly interesting.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Bad drivers that do annoying, illegal and even dangerous things I'm sure bothers everyone.
Yup, but only for about 30 seconds (unless they actually hit me or something).
Lumos Ziyal is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.