Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old March 28 2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

its like when jeremy clarkson was tweeting the number plates of cars that annoyed him

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 28 2013, 06:54 PM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

judge alba wrote: View Post
i've not watched the videos but if the car plates are readable to be able to trace the driver/owner isnt there some law about filming someone without thier permisson?.

that's why most business's have signs saying they have cameras up .
There's no law violation in recording something in public.

If you want to argue that, not supposed to go 15 over, either. Just because the guy in front of you is ALSO breaking the law doesn't make it legal. You could have moved over a lane and done the speed limit. Enjoy your imaginary distinction between YOUR violation being totally cool and his being horrific, though.

I agree that his is worse, but both are bad, no moral high ground to claim there. Maybe there was an emergency? Or maybe he's just an asshole, no way to know.
Look, I'm not saying I was doing anything right, but pretty much everyone on the highway was speeding, as is often the case on this particular stretch of highway. I "could have" moved over a lane and done the speed limit, but why? This guy could have done the same thing, no?

But, no, he decided to pass a line of cars on the shoulder. Maybe it was it an emergency? Sure. Maybe. He wasn't headed toward any hospital, though, and I'm pretty sure "it was an emergency!" isn't going to get you out of a ticket since only emergency vehicles are allowed to break driving laws.

But, whatever. I'm not saying I was being a lawful driver by speeding but at least I was speeding on the road itself. He wasn't, he decided to go speeding off-road.
Old March 28 2013, 08:16 PM   #33
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

So the general idea I'm geting from the feedback is...it's okay to post these videos as long as they're A. funny or B. someone is doing something illegal? Otherwise it's just petty and mean? I can understand that, but just about every one of those videos (with the exception of the chick who couldn't close up ranks and let me in the turn lane) featured someone doing something illegal. In the Honda Fit video and the Star Trek music clip...each f those cars was either getting on or already traveling on the freeway at 40 MPH or below. I'm pretty sure driving that slow on the freeway is considered illegal as it impedes the flow of traffic.

I usually try to only post clips where people are doing something dangerous, illegal or just plain assholish and not just someone making a simple mistake. It isn't done vindictively or to shame the person...like I said, it's for entertainment. I started posting these on Facebook and the were a big hit with friends and family. I guess for general consumption I'll have to kick it up a notch and be more choosy over what I post as far as the severity of the incident goes.

Also, I've never understood why people worry about their license plate being seen in video or pictures. It's right there for everyone and anyone to see on the road, but when it's posted online all of a sudden it's some secret code that must be hidden. I don't get it.
Old March 28 2013, 08:33 PM   #34
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Cut to the chase people: does anything happen in any of these? Because you're up after THE HEAVENS EXPLODING AND CRASHING UNTO THE FIRMAMENT, and that's a tough act to follow.
Old March 28 2013, 08:56 PM   #35
Avon
Fleet Captain

eh? i'm sorry i don't speak bible

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 28 2013, 10:32 PM   #36
iguana_tonante
Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
and now i've started petty arguing :/ i'm beginning to suspect this subject is too boring to actually talk about
This.

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I started posting these on Facebook and the were a big hit with friends and family.
Funny how everything you do is great and everybody you know loves it... except people in here, who mostly think they are terrible ideas. Or, as Locutus mentioned:

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
heck we've seen Flux rant here a few times about bad co-workers and customers.
Yes, and those threads always go swimmingly, don't they? What's that thing they say about doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?
Old March 28 2013, 10:47 PM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

So the general idea I'm geting from the feedback is...it's okay to post these videos as long as they're A. funny or B. someone is doing something illegal? Otherwise it's just petty and mean? I can understand that, but just about every one of those videos (with the exception of the chick who couldn't close up ranks and let me in the turn lane) featured someone doing something illegal. In the Honda Fit video and the Star Trek music clip...each f those cars was either getting on or already traveling on the freeway at 40 MPH or below. I'm pretty sure driving that slow on the freeway is considered illegal as it impedes the flow of traffic.

I usually try to only post clips where people are doing something dangerous, illegal or just plain assholish and not just someone making a simple mistake. It isn't done vindictively or to shame the person...like I said, it's for entertainment. I started posting these on Facebook and the were a big hit with friends and family. I guess for general consumption I'll have to kick it up a notch and be more choosy over what I post as far as the severity of the incident goes.

Also, I've never understood why people worry about their license plate being seen in video or pictures. It's right there for everyone and anyone to see on the road, but when it's posted online all of a sudden it's some secret code that must be hidden. I don't get it.
I never understood it either, sort of the same problems people have with their house being visible on Google Street View.

As for the highway thing, I don't know what the laws are in California (or whereever it is you live) but there many of the highways have a "minimum speed limit" that's often around 40, 45 mies and hour which I, frankly, never understood why such a range (40 mph to 70 mph) was in place. Even still, you'd get a ticket for driving 40 in the far-left lane where people are going much faster and be forced to pass on the right.

But I'm with you, I hate it when people don't merge onto the highway going speed. They get on the highway and THEN speed up which is not the way I learned to get on the highway. You use that quarter-mile long lane to speed up to the flow of traffic and ease in. Along the same lines the traffic already on the highway doesn't have to -nor should be expected to- slow down to allow entering traffic on. Entering traffic is supposed to YIELD to highway traffic and figure out how to get on. Hell, there's been a couple of times I've seen people STOPPED in the acceleration lane waiting for an "opening" (though some existed) that'd allow them to get on to the highway at a slow speed and THEN speed up.

On the flip side I hate it when people slow down on the highway rather than inside the deceleration lane/off ramp.
Old March 28 2013, 10:52 PM   #38
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Cut to the chase people: does anything happen in any of these? Because you're up after THE HEAVENS EXPLODING AND CRASHING UNTO THE FIRMAMENT, and that's a tough act to follow.
No.

Some of them I couldn't even figure out what the heck was annoying him.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 28 2013, 11:05 PM   #39
Finn
Vice Admiral

see my comment in TNZ
Old March 28 2013, 11:12 PM   #40
Pingfah
Admiral

Faux pas...
Old March 28 2013, 11:31 PM   #41
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It has also proved to serve as a form of entertainment, as I've been able to share with my family and friends all of the terrible drivers I've come across.
Some of you are probably old enough to remember slides, and those relatives who were always forcibly showing you slides. Where you were scared to visit them lest you be trapped in their living room looking at their 10,000 slides of the Grand Canyon.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 28 2013, 11:32 PM   #42
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Seems petty to me too. Use a cam for potential accidents, forget the rest.
Old March 29 2013, 12:27 AM   #43
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

This thread is hardly about me venting or complaining about coworkers. It was about sharing some videos that myself and family/friends found funny and entertaining and I thought you might as well. A simple, "Nah, I don't find these funny. Try only posting videos like ______ instead" would have been constructive feedback. Although with the exception of maybe 2 videos I'm not sure how people aren't seeing what was wrong.

Long story short...I posted these because others found them funny. I thought you guys might too. Some of you don't and that's fine, but there's no need to get pissy and sarcastic about it.
Old March 29 2013, 12:34 AM   #44
Finn
Vice Admiral

^What's so funny about seemingly ordinary moment at a stoplight? Most of them, it didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.
Old March 29 2013, 12:41 AM   #45
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Besides the "gap" video, how are any of them ordinary? If people ordinarily run red lights or pull out in front of you or drive 20mph under the limit where you live it might be time to move.

Ironically, on my way to work today I was turning right at a four way intersection. Myself and the opposite side had the green. The woman in front of me was turning left and I was turning right onto the two lane road. We should both take the lane closest to us, right? Nah she decides that she's first going to nearly hit the pedestrians crossing the street *and* cross over into my lane. The video would have been great evidence had she hit the people and/or me. However my phone froze up and the video file is corrupted. Just when I had someone doing something "crazy" my technology let's me down.