Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 28 2013, 02:49 AM   #361
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Trekcore points out a planet scene from HTV and CBS Digital and the latter is really impressive.
Old March 28 2013, 02:51 AM   #362
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post

I never thought the show was "cheap-looking."
Yeah, the poster seems to equate age with "cheap"...not by a long shot.

RAMA
Cheap maybe wasn't the best choice of words there. What I meant was that it looked dated and not up to par with modern production values and that the remastering by CBS D manages to overcome that in a remarkable way.

I think I understand what you're getting at...and while some of the sets in STNG were not as elaborate as say...Enterprise, the remastering actually shows that a surprising amount of sets and props look fantastic on bluray.
Old March 28 2013, 01:29 PM   #363
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's strange. I can understand the need for a smaller model, and the desire to add some thicker aztec plating for extra detail, but it's completely mystifying to me why they ALSO saw the need to fatten up the rest of the ship so much.

At that scale, there's no real point in making room on the model for Ten-Forward. We weren't going to be getting close enough to see it anyway.

My guess is someone at the top simply thought the ship was too sleek and thin before, and wanted to fatten it up a bit.
I think I might actually have a bigger problem with the thicker plating, even though the extra fatness of the ship isn't very attractive either.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:57 PM   #364
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought the plating was cool at the time, on my old 480p TV, but now in HD I do see how there could be a problem with it standing out too much.

At least in the extreme close up shots. In the others I don't think it'll be a problem.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:19 PM   #365
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'm still not a fan of the 4 footer, but it hasn't looked as bad as I thought...is it too late to campaign to get a CGI model based on the 6-footer? lol

RAMA
Old March 28 2013, 09:31 PM   #366
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
I'm still not a fan of the 4 footer, but it hasn't looked as bad as I thought...is it too late to campaign to get a CGI model based on the 6-footer? lol

RAMA
There's already a little bit of that. BOBW Part 2 appears to have a CGI shot, and there was a CGI shot in the sampler for The Inner Light. I expect though that when we see season 5 on BD, the CGI shot will be replaced with the original model shot, which I would prefer.

I'll take inferior original over 'superior' CGI if it's available and usable.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:12 PM   #367
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

TrekCore reveals today that the TNG Season 3 set will also have BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE bonus features, which will only be available through BB's streaming video service - and NOT on any disc.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/ent...exclusive-vam/
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:21 PM   #368
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I'm glad TrekCore has come out and stated that they hate retailer exclusive stuff, because it saves me (and everyone else who feels the same) the hassle of saying that.

That said, I honestly hope people start ripping those Best Buy VAMs to their hard drives, not because I like piracy, but out of concern that Best Buy will stop hosting the videos if they need to cut costs down the line. It would be terrible to lose these bits of Trek history because no one had contingencies in place if Best Buy got hit by financial problems.
Old March 28 2013, 11:26 PM   #369
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post
It would be terrible to lose these bits of Trek history because no one had contingencies in place if Best Buy got hit by financial problems.
No "if" about it. This is occurring right now. Best Buy's store sales have fallen for the last eight quarters (2.1% drop in 2012)... their stock is collapsing -- it's only a matter of time before they file for bankruptcy, just like Circuit City before them. Overall, the electronic retail industry is looking pretty grim.

The fans (like always) will be the ones who will have to save these exclusives for posterity.
Old March 28 2013, 11:30 PM   #370
Dream
Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
No "if" about it. This is occurring right now. Best Buy's store sales have fallen for the last eight quarters (2.1% drop in 2012)... their stock is collapsing -- it's only a matter of time before they file for bankruptcy, just like Circuit City before them. Overall, the electronic retail industry is looking pretty grim.
So the only stores left standing will be Walmart and Target? Scary!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 12:19 AM   #371
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Best Buy probably suffers from the same problem the bookstores do right now-- people go in there to look around and find something they like.... and then they get it online from Amazon much cheaper.
Old March 29 2013, 09:04 AM   #372
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I am gutted that I won't get to see the original CG tests done for TNG just because I happen to live in the UK. I was really looking forward to seeing these, possibly more than anything else that has been unearthed.
Old March 29 2013, 10:16 AM   #373
Tiberius
Commodore

Relax, they'll end up on Youtube.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:33 AM   #374
Paranoid Android
Commander

Wow... absolutely stunning. The new screen shots are absolutely gorgeous. If anyone from the CBS-D team is out there. Great job guys. All those exterior shots of the D look so good.

I still haven't bought Season 2. I'm waiting for it to get dirt cheap, if it ever does. Season 3... i'd pay the regular price if it all looks amazing as this, which I'm sure it will.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:58 AM   #375
davejames
Vice Admiral

So.... I guess there was nothing new out of the Wondercon panel?