Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 26 2013, 11:01 PM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Life And Scandalous Times Of John Nathan-Turner

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Unfortunately scandals sell papers, so what can we do?
Not buy the papers that rely on scandal?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:46 PM   #77
diankra
Commodore

For those who can access th site, biography author Richard Marson was interviewed on today's edition of Radio 4's Media Show. Available as podcast or stream at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dv9hq
Not had a chacne to listen to it myself yet...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:13 PM   #78
Australis
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
Unfortunately scandals sell papers, so what can we do?
Not buy the papers that rely on scandal?
Thank you. Something I've said for years.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 02:20 PM   #79
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

diankra wrote: View Post
For those who can access th site, biography author Richard Marson was interviewed on today's edition of Radio 4's Media Show. Available as podcast or stream at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dv9hq
Not had a chacne to listen to it myself yet...
It was an interesting interview. (I haven't yet downloaded the latest Radio Free Skaro, which also interviews Marson.)

Marson points out that the book was sent to a single outlet -- specifically The Guardian -- and every other outlet is riffing on the few things that the Guardian wrote about in their review. (However, the SFX review was out before the Guardian's review, so I'm puzzled on that score.)

Marson comes across as a bit naive. He argues that his book is a balanced look at JNT's life and that it's unfair that people are focused solely on the salacious chapter of a book they haven't even read. However, I'm not sure why he would expect otherwise. For good or ill, people like dirt.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 04:52 PM   #80
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Marson comes across as a bit naive. He argues that his book is a balanced look at JNT's life and that it's unfair that people are focused solely on the salacious chapter of a book they haven't even read. However, I'm not sure why he would expect otherwise. For good or ill, people like dirt.
I don't think he's naive but disingenuous. Especially when you consider the title he gave his book. Which is not necessarily a criticism, he would have wanted maximum publicity for what is in essence a niche book issued by a tiny publisher and he got it.

I hope it does very well, by all accounts it's a fair portrait - sadly Miwk have said there hasn't been a spike of pre-orders following the reports.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:11 PM   #81
Christopher
Writer

I don't see any naivete there. He's not saying he's surprised that people are focusing on the salacious parts at the expense of the majority of the book; he's just saying, quite correctly, that it's an unfairly biased take on the work. Just because unfairness is predictable, that doesn't make it right.

Old March 28 2013, 09:08 PM   #82
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

I don't see any naivete there. He's not saying he's surprised that people are focusing on the salacious parts at the expense of the majority of the book; he's just saying, quite correctly, that it's an unfairly biased take on the work. Just because unfairness is predictable, that doesn't make it right.
This is not a book called "John Nathan-Turner - A Life Devoted to the BBC" or something similar.

This is a book called "The Life and Scandalous Times of John-Nathan Turner."

It's absolutely, absolutely designed to make you go, "Ooh, what's the dirt in here?" He gets to have his cake and eat it too; he gets to draw them in with a salacious sounding title, get a lot of publicity from it, and then go, "Oh, no, no, that's just one small part in a larger book about more things!" If he truly felt this way, he wouldn't have named his book that or have been more vocal about the publishers giving it that title and bringing in attention he thinks is unfair.
Old March 28 2013, 09:30 PM   #83
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Seriously, he gives it that title and of course are going to be looking for that and talking about!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:40 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Seriously, he gives it that title and of course are going to be looking for that and talking about!
But that's assuming that he gave it that title, and that may very well be untrue. A lot of the time, it's the editors or publishers who give a book a different title than the author wanted because they think it'll sell better. I've had that happen to me a couple of times myself, though at least I've been consulted in selecting a new title. But I've heard of cases where authors were saddled with more sensationalist or misleading titles than they wanted, especially in nonfiction.

Old March 28 2013, 10:50 PM   #85
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

But that's assuming that he gave it that title,
He did.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:59 PM   #86
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

A lot of the time, it's the editors or publishers who give a book a different title than the author wanted because they think it'll sell better. I've had that happen to me a couple of times myself, though at least I've been consulted in selecting a new title. But I've heard of cases where authors were saddled with more sensationalist or misleading titles than they wanted, especially in nonfiction.
I mentioned that in my post. If that was the case, you think it'd be something he'd mention when bitching about people being drawn to this for salacious content.
Old March 28 2013, 11:09 PM   #87
StCoop
Commodore

But that's assuming that he gave it that title, and that may very well be untrue. A lot of the time, it's the editors or publishers who give a book a different title than the author wanted because they think it'll sell better.
Given that it's a Vanity Published book I doubt there was any editorial interference involved.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 11:41 PM   #88
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

But that's assuming that he gave it that title, and that may very well be untrue. A lot of the time, it's the editors or publishers who give a book a different title than the author wanted because they think it'll sell better. I've had that happen to me a couple of times myself, though at least I've been consulted in selecting a new title. But I've heard of cases where authors were saddled with more sensationalist or misleading titles than they wanted, especially in nonfiction.
Fair to a point. However, even if he didn't give it that title, it still has that title. Consequently, the reaction is predictable.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 01:06 AM   #89
Christopher
Writer

^Again, whether the audience reaction is predictable or not has nothing to do with it, because he didn't say he was surprised by it, he said he found it unfair. Lots of predictable reactions are unfair. The cynic would say that it's surprising when anything in life is fair.

Old March 29 2013, 04:59 AM   #90
diankra
Commodore

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
A lot of the time, it's the editors or publishers who give a book a different title than the author wanted because they think it'll sell better. I've had that happen to me a couple of times myself, though at least I've been consulted in selecting a new title. But I've heard of cases where authors were saddled with more sensationalist or misleading titles than they wanted, especially in nonfiction.
I mentioned that in my post. If that was the case, you think it'd be something he'd mention when bitching about people being drawn to this for salacious content.
Right, because saying that on network radio would really help to damp the fire... (rather than, for instance, setting up a follow-up headline of "Doctor Who sex expose writer slams publishers")
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote