Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 25 2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: I'm getting a motorcycle.

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post

That's funny that you mention that a 750 seems like a lot of bike for me starting out. One of my WWR buddies just told me he thinks I should go bigger. I think the Shadow is plenty big and I can't exactly go smaller, being 6'3" anyway.
Yeah, I tend to be cautious, probably because of the conditions I am forced to endure. I ride at least 30 miles a day, on 60mph winding single lane Cornish roads and have to ride in all conditions as I don't own a car. If I had started out on a 1000cc bike, I can see myself having gotten into some problems. They are not easy to handle when you're keeping up with rush hour traffic in driving rain and wind, in the dark, with other people's oncoming headlights blinding you. Some nights literally the only thing I can see is the tail lights of the car in front of me, and following those is the only way I know i'm still on the road.

I imagine the experience is somewhat different in California though, so it could well be I am overcautious for your situation.

Beautiful bike by the way. Have fun cleaning it
Now I'm all worried about you as well!
Old March 25 2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Pingfah
Admiral

Eh, don't worry about me, I know what i'm doing. I love it in fact.

Thanks though!
Old March 25 2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Scout101
Admiral

Wear all your gear, all the time. If you're complaining about it being hot, get a mesh jacket that has all the armor in it. Long pants, boots, gloves, helmet. Every time.

Also, I wouldn't buy that bike, personally. Eventually, maybe. Starting out, get yourself a cheaper one and ride that for at least one season. Make sure you like it and are comfortable with the bike before getting something nice, shiny, and expensive. Plus, if you make a rookie mistake and drop it, or even screw up in a parking lot, you'll feel better about it if it wasn't new, and already had depreciated or had scratches on it. Trust me, get a starter bike.

Go on Craigslist or wherever, and find a cheaper used one. Can probably find a mid-2000s Shadow no problem, and for very cheap. I checked, there are a million used ones in your area, all in the $3500-4000 range, and can talk them down from there. Used ones will likely have custom mods too that will save you money (chrome, backrest, windshield, bags, highway bars, whatever).

Ride that for a year or two, and then sell it back for just about what you paid for it, or trade it in, and THEN get a new(er) bike. It'll work out much better that way.

My first bike was a 1979 Honda CB750, and got it in 2004. Rode it two years, just to get comfortable, and sold it for 200 more than I paid for it. Then got myself a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, and love it. It would have been WAY too much bike starting out, though, and I'd have ruined it.

Good luck!
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I actually did just find a bike similar to the one pictured above, only 6 years older at a 2006 model. The dealer has it listed at $5499 but Blue Book on it is $3950. I contacted them and brought this up and they said they're willing to negotiate. If I could get the bike for below or near Blue Book I'd be happy. I'm going to go over with a buddy of mine who is a long time rider to check it out with me.

Old March 27 2013, 01:24 PM   #20
Avon
Fleet Captain

shiny! hope you like polishing

i could never really see the appeal of cruisery-shaped bikes, but to each their own. and they probably make more sense in a country with big straight roads.

if money was no object, (and you had more riding experience) what would be your dream bike? i always find answers to that question interesting

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Pingfah
Admiral

It looks pretty clean, just computing what that translates to in £s, and that Blue Book price seems pretty cheap for such a bike!

Drum Brake on the back, and just one disc on the front though? That doesn't seem like a lot of stopping power for such a heavy bike.
Old March 27 2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Avon
Fleet Captain

one disc stops my dads old norton pretty well and thats a heavy bike. unless its raining.

although i havent seen a modern bike bigger than a 125 with a drum brake before

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 27 2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Pingfah
Admiral

Yeah, I don't like them, they are ineffectual, and hard to adjust. I had one on my last bike, and I hated it. I have 3 discs now, much better.
Old March 27 2013, 05:35 PM   #24
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^And don't forget to sign your organ donor card.

(kidding)
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Looks like I may not be getting that bike afterall. Going through the money aspect left me with the only option being financing, and with the way rates and terms work out for motorcycles, I wouldn't be saving much money even if they do drop the price to near Blue Book. And a main reason for getting the bike was to save money. The plan now is to save my pennies until I find one cheap enough/save up enough to pay cash. I want to feel free when I ride and actually fully owning a bike would go a long way to achieving that.

On that note, my birthday *is* coming up in May...
Old March 28 2013, 11:47 AM   #26
Pingfah
Admiral

I'm taking my friend shopping for her first motorbike tomorrow, should be fun!

She is insisting on one of these 125 cruisers though.
Old March 28 2013, 01:49 PM   #27
Avon
Fleet Captain

125's are all slow and nasty, so a cruisery one should at least have a comfy seat. (i definitely have a comfy seat obsession)

actually i think 125s are a bit too slow for the roads nowadays. which makes it dodgy if you're a learner and you need to overtake a very slow car for instance.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 28 2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Pingfah
Admiral

125 Cruisers are particularly slow though, they are just too damn big & heavy for that size engine. The smaller 125s can be pretty nippy these days.

She's only just passed her CBT though, so she doesn't have much choice about what size engine she can go for.
Old March 28 2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Scout101
Admiral

Yeah, I'd think if you're starting out and intend to ride on the road, you should get the standard 250cc Honda Rebel (or several other brands' similar bikes). Enough engine to at least give you a chance out there. Unless you're huge and would otherwise bog that down. Or if you're tiny, short, or otherwise light of stature, maybe a 250 is all you'll ever need (or can touch the ground while on).

Never got the crotch-rocket idea, personally. Cool for going fast (which begs for a ticket or accident), but you're on your wrists all the time, so when we've gone on rides and a friend has had one, our butts might be a little sore at the end of the day, but he was usually crying and just about unable to use his hands/wrists at that point from the constant pressure. give me a cruiser with a nice comfortable seat (I've got a mustang seat, personally) any day.

And yeah, if you need to finance a $3500 bike, probably a smart move to pass for now. Save money on gas, but after you put some aftermarket toys on it (seat, saddlebags, whatever) and insure it, probably not a huge savings. If you're still interested, go on Craigslist or whatever and get yourself a $700-1000 starter bike and see if you like it first. Can get used to it, save some gas money, and as long as you don't ruin it, can resell it for about the same price. If you get a normal bike in good shape, they really don't depreciate much more after that, and it's always worth a grand if it's in good shape and runs.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:00 PM   #30
Pingfah
Admiral

^ Unfortunately in the UK you can only ride a 125cc for the first 2 years after passing your test, unless you go for a much longer and more expensive test in the first place, and that test is only open to people aged 24 and over.

Doesn't affect Flux of course, I'm just being informative