Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 27 2013, 06:22 PM   #31
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: no more TV in the future? WTF?!

stj wrote: View Post
Television and radio are advertising media. If the unspecified Federation economic arrangements don't use money, it is unlikely that they use advertising.
So the people of the Federation hear about the planet Risa solely through word of mouth? Seem unlikely, the place probably gets advertised as heavily as that Atlantis resort is today. If the future Federation has a recognizable economic system, professional entertainment would have to be financed somehow. The same for sporting activities.

In the trailers for the next Star Trek movie, didn't we see advertising on the sides of buildings?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 09:31 PM   #32
xortex
Commodore

Plus everyone seeing the same thing at the same time and day of week etc. or what have you. Something in common to talk about even though the shows are delayed for days or weeks or are old repeats. It is ritualistic and a common collective unconscience.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:51 PM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Visual theater isn't likely to disappear, but TVs as we know them..yup, they'll be gone within 20 years.

RAMA
Old March 28 2013, 08:18 PM   #34
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I listen to the radio all the time. I rarely play CDs, I have such a fickle ear that wants to hear new (old) things. XM jazz and vocalists are the two biggies, plus local AM station for news, affairs, and, yes, old standards. I am only 46, by the way, but pretty much the guy in the Twilight Zone ep who finds the old radio.

Oh, and TIGERS baseball! Soon.
Old March 28 2013, 09:16 PM   #35
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Advantage of TV dying out: No reruns unless you want them.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 09:30 PM   #36
CorporalClegg
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Visual theater isn't likely to disappear, but TVs as we know them..yup, they'll be gone within 20 years.
RAMA
Yes. Network television is on the way out. Ultimately "on demand" entertainment will take over. However, I disagree with your assessment it will be within two decades.

The only roadblock at this point is the infrastructure necessary to make the technology completely ubiquitous, and by that, I mean completely word wide. Otherwise there will still be some form of network television someplace.

The cost and manpower necessary to accomplish that is extreme, and will certainly take a significant amount of time. Heck, I don't even know if it can be accomplished in the industrialized countries within twenty years.
Old March 30 2013, 03:57 PM   #37
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Television and radio are advertising media. If the unspecified Federation economic arrangements don't use money, it is unlikely that they use advertising. Previous experience with mass media sold for content rather than advertising is limited to theater, magazines and novels.

That suggests there would be far less content produced. The only regular contributions would be the equivalent of the old time magazines, like Saturday Evening Post or Charles Dickens' magazine, either featuring a miscellany of forms and content producers, or the opposite, a vehicle primarily for a popular favorite plus extras. Except even these equivalents would be less common, since there would be no advertising offsetting production costs.

Basically I suppose that in a sense all productions would be amateur productions, relying upon personal initiative and whatever personal resources are available to individuals. It is true that Voyager's Author, Author! gave the Doctor a publisher, but it is hard to see what such a person did, or why he did it. But since the episode was yet another Voyager episode criticizing studio execs, it wasn't a seriously considered SF projection, not even in Trek universe terms.
Under this theory the "amateur" actor, director, producer can be just as professional as the starship officer. If everybody is in effect working for nothing it means little if one betters himself working a shift in a department on the Enterprise or he betters himself producing the future equivalent of a podcast
Old April 9 2013, 11:34 PM   #38
TheGoodNews
Lieutenant Commander

RAMA
Oh boy, imagine the possibilities:

"The work of art of the future will be the construction of a passionate life." Raoul Vaneigem - The Revolution of Everyday Life.

"This Society eliminates geographical distance only to reap distance internally in the form of spectacular separation." Guy Debord - The Society of the Spectacle - Thesis 167.

"In New Babylon, all useful yet repetitive activity underwent automation; and technology, mobilized at the mass level, would release people from the daily drudge of necessity, guaranteeing a healthy dose of free time. There'd be big institutional transformations, too, like collective ownership of land and the means of production, together with the rationalization of the manufacturing of consumer goods, making scarcity old hat." GUY DEBORD by Andy Merrifield.
TheGoodNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 09:16 AM   #39
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
If they turned off broadcast TV right now. I doubt I'd notice. I consume my television by means of DVD, Blu-ray, Internet catch-up services, and time shifted recordings. The only time I sit down to broadcast television at the behest of the broadcaster these days is for twenty-four hour news services, live events such as sports, or the rare watercooler talking point show. I watch at the most three hours of such a week. Right now it's one hour a week, season 2 of Dallas.

Television as I knew it when I was a kid is already dead. Last week I was on a train trip to the city, and most everyone was watching TV on their iPads.
The big rub is, there's still LPTV (Low-power television) for those wishing to have a kind of community TV not serviced by the big communication monopolies (especially since local access cable TV seems to have just died in North America). Perhaps a form of LPTV is still alive in the 23rd and 24th centuries.

As well, not everybody these days can afford to be collecting TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray DVD and Internet catch-up services. And we're still going to need 24 hour news services (in particular ones like Russia Today and Al Jazeera English) plus local LPTV versions-if there are any-that will tell the news stories that the big conglomerate-owned news outlets can't or won't do properly.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Don't be silly, why would we watch TV when we're all busy studying science and mathematics? If we don't study science and mathematics, we can no longer write piano concertos and invent new and exciting uses for nadions!
True.

Trek had the right idea about technology changing entertainment, but I think it was based on the Trek 80's style Utopian view. It had a judgmental tone to it.

Watching TV was one of those lazy habits that ancient humans participated in.

Trek (TNG) strongly implied that people preferred putting on plays, live orchestra performances, etc. for entertainment.

It was all Shakespeare and the arts, playwrights, classical music ect, etc.

Not that it was bad, but I think they went a bit too far with it, especially on TNG.

Never saw any internet surfing, socia media, or streaming entertainment through the computer.

Interesting how in later series, they subtly brought TV back, like DS9 Quark's commercials over the public comlink, the Cardassians live streaming things, ect.

Or in Voyager, where Paris watched TV and then gets the rest of the crew to join in.

Ironically, as soon the utopianism feel wore off they went right back to things the fans could relate to.

If reading paperback books survived, why not television?

Last edited by Nightdiamond; April 10 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:25 AM   #41
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post

Not that it was bad, but I think they went a bit too far with it, especially on TNG.
Not only that, but it gave the impression that the Federation was a completely stagnant and decadent culture.
Old April 11 2013, 12:10 AM   #42
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Thought I always seem to have when I'm at someone's house, and I'm watching their cable or satellite TV: "It would seem that I'm not missing a damn thing by not having television at home."
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 01:39 AM   #43
Danger Ace
Commander

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
I can't see TV dying out even if complete immersion virtual realities as in holosuites could ever be invented. ...
TV will not "die" anytime soon. It will transform. Just within this past week I read two items regarding changing attitudes.

Firstly, the broadcast networks are having a harder time getting folks to sample their new one hour dramas. Folks are tired of getting into a show only to have it cancelled. On the flip side, the cable nets are finding the opposite since they generally order/renew on a season-by-season basis.

Secondly, more and more younger people are disconecting from cable and satellite televsion in favor of streaming services (such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc..) due to cost. The up to a year delay for new episodes doesn't bother them.

Factor that in with Netflix dipping their toe into the waters of original productions and you can sense of where things are heading.

In terms of "Star Trek," there are already rumors of new animated adventures and the possibility of a new live-action series. I believe TPTB are merely awaiting the results of "Star Trek Into Darkness" to make sure the success of the last film wasn't a fluke.
Old April 11 2013, 09:39 AM   #44
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post

Not only that, but it gave the impression that the Federation was a completely stagnant and decadent culture.
The culture did come off as a little stuffy at times. TNG was about life in the 24th century, but the culture didn't always seem "contemporary".

Except for Jazz, I've never really heard any other form of music other than classical or opera in Trek. That was the norm.

Foods-- No burgers, no pizza throughout the series, mostly tea, alcohol, some desserts, but no junk food.

I could be wrong, but I think Trek was making a definite statement that TV and even streaming and social media will be extinct in the 24th century.

To be replaced with an interest in the arts. Sitting in front of a screen doing anything other than research or communication is 'primitive', the message seems to say.

They needed to live it up a little

Last edited by Nightdiamond; April 11 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 07:29 PM   #45
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Kirk knew what a movie was when Edith Keeler suggested they go see one (he just didn't know who Clark Gable was) so that form of entertainment must exist in some form in the future. Plus, so much of our movies and television shows now have been preserved by various academies and whatnot that I'm sure they're still around in the 24th century to be viewed. The only reason why we never see Picard watching Citizen Kane, or Sanford and Son is because of the licensing costs. Musical pieces and plays that are in the public domain don't cost Paramount anything to put into the production. As far as them not putting 'modern entertainment' shows into Star Trek would probably just come across as awkward: "Hey Wesley, did you check out the new episode of 'Cardassian Friends' last night? Gul Bing is hilarious!"