RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 494
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 25 2013, 12:50 AM   #31
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Is the NX 01 one of the better ships (aesthetically)?

I like the idea that Starfleet simply had a different design philosophy during the TOS era, perhaps one driven by the use of standardized, one-size-fits-all parts (nacelles, saucer sections, etc)., for its ships. TMP may have marked the end of that particular era, IMO.
Old January 30 2013, 05:12 PM   #32
ThankQ
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
If I had to rank the designs, I'm not sure where I would place the NX-01...

NCC-1701 (TOS)
NCC-1701-D (TNG)
NX-2000 (Excelsior, STIII)
NCC-1701-C (Yesterday's Enterprise, TNG)
NCC-1701 Refit (TOS Movies)

The NX-01 would definitely come in behind those.
NCC-1701-D
NX-2000
1701-C
NX-01
1701-A
WhateverthehellVoyagersnumberis
Old February 2 2013, 04:58 AM   #33
Antni
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Antni's Twitter Profile

NCC-74656
Old February 2 2013, 05:27 AM   #34
Saul
Rear Admiral

I love the design

of the Akira class ships. Love it.

I would have hoped for something more original with the NX but it's lucky we got that since the producers were just gonna go with the Akira model without any changes. Nuts.
I agree with what others have said, Enterprise NX is a more functional looking ship which is what I thought about TOS Enterprise too. You could imagine it actually working in space. Also after reading Doug's Blog I appreciate all the little details I hadn't quite noticed before.
Old February 23 2013, 11:53 PM   #35
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I liked it, but THIS ship is gorgeous (for it's time):

Old February 24 2013, 01:23 AM   #36
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

My favorite is the TOS Enterprise, closely followed by the TMP refit. Everything else is far behind.

As far as aesthetics go, I've always been reminded of a person without arms, when looking at the TOS ship. The saucer is the head, the secondary hull is the torso, and the nacelles are the legs. There's a rough parallel with function, too. The saucer "thinks," the engineering hull "metabolizes," and the nacelles "walk." I guess it doesn't need arms because of the tractor beams; and just from the proportions and the layout, the arms don't really seem to be missing, either.

Funny, then, that I also see the Starfleet arrowhead badge as a five-pointed star with two arms ripped off.
Old February 24 2013, 05:18 PM   #37
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
It's one of the worst. In fact, it might actually be the worst.
I agree. It makes sense for the show, but it's a pretty ugly ship.
Old February 28 2013, 03:35 AM   #38
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Like many people, I enjoyed looking into the background scenes of First Contact/the Dominion War/isolated Voyager episodes and spotting the Akira Class, thinking it looked pretty cool (tho personally the steamrunner was my out and out fav of those background ships )

Then perhaps like a lot of people I felt exploited that the producers used that popularity to base their new ship on the Akira, all the while ruining the design by changing what made the ship unique.

Nah, never took to the NX-01, Voyager too looked like a stupid upturned spoon....but most other Trek ships look great.
(except the Oberth...don't know what THAT'S about! )

The Enterprise-E and the Defiant are my out and out favs. Since you didn't ask.
Old March 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #39
Nx-01fan
Ensign

The NX-01 is my personal favourite.
Nx-01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 04:18 PM   #40
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Always wished they had went with this one for the NX-01...

Had they gone with this design, then I suspect right now we'd have people complaining that they were just lazy and didn't come up with something more original.

Complaints about the NX-01 resembling the Akira-Class, well, so what? The Excelsior resembles the Constitution, the Nebula resembles the Miranda. Who's to say there weren't a couple of designs between NX-01 and Akira that weren't similar?

I like the NX-01, but then again, I don't really hate any starship design.
Old March 28 2013, 03:14 PM   #41
Danger Ace
Commander

[QUOTE=solariabsg25;7816102]
Always wished they had went with this one for the NX-01...

Had they gone with this design, then I suspect right now we'd have people complaining that they were just lazy and didn't come up with something more original.
And I would agree with that complaint. I do believe the starship illustrated above is very nice looking, but ultimately too sleek and on par with TNG (as opposed to a precurser to TOS).

I always thought it would have been neat if they had actually gone with more of an arrowhead design to the main body of the NX-01. My reasoning being that the starship's design would allude to the future insignia as paying homage to that first wave of Starfleet explorers.

Oh well, water under the bridge.
Old March 28 2013, 03:22 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I always thought it would have been neat if they had actually gone with more of an arrowhead design to the main body of the NX-01. My reasoning being that the starship's design would allude to the future insignia as paying homage to that first wave of Starfleet explorers.
Except it's not a future insignia relative to Enterprise, but a past and current one. VGR: "Friendship One" established that the arrowhead insignia was the United Earth Space Probe Agency logo as far back as the 2060s. What's more, it was already in use on Starfleet uniforms during Enterprise. You have to look closely, but a very small arrowhead was part of the rating insignia worn by enlisted crewpersons like Cutler.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:26 PM   #43
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
except the Oberth...don't know what THAT'S about!
I ike that one : (

I'm into designs where the remit hasn't been to make it flatter and more streamlined. That stuff shouldn't matter in space. It's why pretty much everything post (and including) Enterprise-E is a load of rubbish
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:37 PM   #44
Danger Ace
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Except it's not a future insignia relative to Enterprise, but a past and current one. VGR: "Friendship One" established that the arrowhead insignia was the United Earth Space Probe Agency logo as far back as the 2060s. What's more, it was already in use on Starfleet uniforms during Enterprise. You have to look closely, but a very small arrowhead was part of the rating insignia worn by enlisted crewpersons like Cutler.
I'm sorry but I have no idea who crewmember Cutler is or was or will be. I'm sure he was an important and valued part of the crew though.

Seriously, the background info is both appreciated and interesting. Thank you.

With full acknowledgement of what you said, I still think an arrowhead design would have been an improvement over what we were given, BUT what we got was pretty good.
Old March 28 2013, 03:46 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I'm sorry but I have no idea who crewmember Cutler is or was or will be. I'm sure he was an important and valued part of the crew though.
Elizabeth Cutler, played by Kellie Waymire, was a recurring character in the first season of the show, starting with the second episode. She was an entomologist and medic, and a potential romantic interest for Dr. Phlox. She was only in a few episodes, but after Waymire died suddenly in 2003, it kind of raised her character's profile in fandom's eyes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote