Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 27 2013, 04:20 PM   #2056
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
For me, after the import issues with DAO>DAII I was paranoid enough that I made a point of noting down the details of my various Sheps including the facecodes, so it was an easy fix.
On 360, I don't think there was a way to find your facecode if you imported from ME1 to ME2.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 05:13 PM   #2057
Reverend
Rear Admiral

You couldn't on the PC version either, at least not in-game. I had to upload my savefile to a site I found with a tool for decoding the ME1 slider positions and another tool to convert that to an ME2 facecode. Like I said. Paranoid.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 06:37 PM   #2058
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I actually thought the ME3 opening was just fine. Nothing spectacular, but nothing I'd complain about. ME2's was better, but it's not like they were gonna blow up the Normandy twice.
Old March 27 2013, 06:40 PM   #2059
bullethead
Fleet Captain

IIRC, I read that the beginning and end are the last things Bioware works on when making games, so that they're just as polished or more than the rest of the game.
Old March 27 2013, 07:43 PM   #2060
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Jeyl;7858174]
Angel4576 wrote: View Post
And I'm sorry, but when it comes to the Mass Effect universe, I don't give a crap about Earth.
Except the plot of the Mass Effect games have always revolved around humanity.

Mass Effect 1: Saren spend most of his time attacking human colonies, with most of the guess for why he's interested in Reapers being that he wants to wipe out humans, you don't find out that Saren is a puppet until Virmir

Mass Effect 2: The Collectors are targeting human colonies.

Really when it comes down to the Mass Effect games the plot boils down to humans are screwed The Council doesn't want to do anything about it, so its up to Shepard to save the day, so really why expect them to change that just for the last game.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:51 PM   #2061
ATimson
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Hartzilla2007;7859608]
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Angel4576 wrote: View Post
And I'm sorry, but when it comes to the Mass Effect universe, I don't give a crap about Earth.
Humanity != Earth. Two of the three backgrounds for Shepard have her growing up off-world.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:23 PM   #2062
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=ATimson;7859647]
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post

Humanity != Earth. Two of the three backgrounds for Shepard have her growing up off-world.
whoopy do its still the planet with the biggest human population, so you kind of have to save it unless you want most of humanity wiped out.

And also when ever they use the humanity is threatened angle in these games they always mention Earth as being threatened such as Anderson stating that even Earth would be a target for Saren, or speculating that the Collectors are going after Earth based on how many people can be held on a Collector ship, or how Shepard points out how by using the Alpha relay the Reapers could hit Earth once they arrive.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:56 PM   #2063
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The ending was still being worked on in November (the game released in March) - they had to get Martin Sheen to record his TIM dialogue on-the-road while he was filming something else. From memory, I think he had been scheduled to record his lines in August, but that was delayed because of the problems they were having in nailing down the final act.
Old March 28 2013, 04:44 AM   #2064
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Couple all this with the fact that if you happen to be a FemShep, you're a totally different-looking person at the start of ME3 than you were at the end of ME2.
Not just FemShep. Same thing happens to custom MaleSheps.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:38 AM   #2065
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

[QUOTE=Hartzilla2007;7859857]
ATimson wrote: View Post
whoopy do its still the planet with the biggest human population, so you kind of have to save it unless you want most of humanity wiped out.

And also when ever they use the humanity is threatened angle in these games they always mention Earth as being threatened such as Anderson stating that even Earth would be a target for Saren, or speculating that the Collectors are going after Earth based on how many people can be held on a Collector ship, or how Shepard points out how by using the Alpha relay the Reapers could hit Earth once they arrive.
And?

I still have no emotional connection to Earth. Aside from going through pure cutscene for five minutes, there's literally no interaction anywhere on the planet before the Reapers start blasting it. If they want us to give a damn about Earth, then let us visit Samesh's restaurant, or play through our tribunal, or...SOMETHING. Anything to give us some context to appreciate it. And no, some stupid little boy with bad dialogue does not count.

I appreciate Earth *tactically*, but that's about it.
Old March 28 2013, 09:39 AM   #2066
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Couple all this with the fact that if you happen to be a FemShep, you're a totally different-looking person at the start of ME3 than you were at the end of ME2.
Not just FemShep. Same thing happens to custom MaleSheps.
Think they mean't the default model for FemShep changes between ME2 and ME3 - whereas Sheploo is modeled on Mark Vanderloo, hence doesn't change that much in between the games.
Old March 28 2013, 09:47 AM   #2067
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm almost certain that if you imported a femshep that had the old default look, she'd still look essentially the same. I don't think it just substitutes the new default. Could be wrong though. Never tested it myself, just vaguely recall reading it somewhere.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 02:45 PM   #2068
Jeyl
Commodore

The thing about the first Mass Effect game is that the whole "Humanity is in danger" schtick was simply a coincidence to a much larger scale plan. Saren didn't attack the human colony because it had humans on it, he attacked it because it had the Prothean beacon on it. The big plan was targeting every sentient race in the galaxy.

I think when it comes to the role that humanity plays in the game is what role the race has in the galaxy. For example, in ME1, humanity is just now becoming part of the council races, a group of aliens that have been traveling around the galaxy for a lot longer than humans have. As the game plays out, Shepard can do things that reflect a 'pro-unity' stance with the council races, or a 'independent/dominant' stance. This concept is put to the real test at the end when Shepard gets to decide on whether to save the members of the council or save the human ships. Do you work alongside with the other races, or do you step in and say you're the boss now?

That's one of the reasons I liked TIM as the antagonist in the second game. He represented the human element that doesn't want to be looked at as equals to all the other races in the galaxy. He wants humanity to be the 'dominate power' over everyone else and he was willing to do whatever it took to ensure that goal.

But in ME3, Earth and humanity are pretty much the priority no matter where your character stands.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:03 PM   #2069
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
I still have no emotional connection to Earth.
Yeah, the game kinda expect you to have an emotional connection to Earth, since it's not a fictional place and considering that it's your home and the home of everything you know and everyone you like.
Old March 28 2013, 03:42 PM   #2070
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I think it would have more effectively locked in the emotional connection if there'd been more tales from earth. More specific ones too, we heard only general things about continents and "major cities" not specific major cities unless you count London. In the start of the game we saw brief news flashes from all over the world. More of that would've been nice, maybe it's one of the things that Shepard watches to maintain drive and Garrus or Liara have to drag him/her away from it.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote