TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 28 2013, 10:58 AM   #31
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post

EDIT ADDON: Man, I miss Dixon. I got a few warnings defending his views, and didn't mind those in the slightest. Guy really had a good line on the whole Enterprise-class thing as I recall.
It's been awhile, Trev! Good to see you still fighting the fight.

Yeah, Dixon- for all his faults- really defined what it meant to be a Trekkie. He was the "fan" in "fanatic" to be sure. And because his inversely iconoclastic views were from a different era of Star Trek fandom, his prowling a place like the TrekBBS was like letting a velociraptor loose in Time Square. It was never bound to end well. But hell, that chronology of his... Wow. Just... Wow.
James Dixon can be found on this forum here. Most of the members, if not all, are James Dixon.
Old March 28 2013, 12:24 PM   #32
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Space Seed and Wrath of Khan also contain clearly audible references to Khan's reign on Earth, in the 1990's, being two hundred years ago.
There's a nice way around this.

Early in SS, Kirk mistook Khan's DY spaceship for a much later version. Even through he was corrected by Spock, he continued to think of the ship as be from the era that constructed DY500s'. Kirk would often place his own perceptions ahead of Spock's (sometimes rightly).

When Khan asked Kirk "how long," Kirk told him about two centuries. Again based on Kirk earlier misconception of when Khan's ship was from.

Fifteen years later, Khan was still operating off the (mistaken) notion that he was about two centuries in the future. We have no idea just how quickly Marla was killed and from where else would Khan have learn of the correct date?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:02 PM   #33
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
There's a nice way around this.

Early in SS, Kirk mistook Khan's DY spaceship for a much later version. Even through he was corrected by Spock, he continued to think of the ship as be from the era that constructed DY500s'. Kirk would often place his own perceptions ahead of Spock's (sometimes rightly).

When Khan asked Kirk "how long," Kirk told him about two centuries. Again based on Kirk earlier misconception of when Khan's ship was from.

Fifteen years later, Khan was still operating off the (mistaken) notion that he was about two centuries in the future. We have no idea just how quickly Marla was killed and from where else would Khan have learn of the correct date?

That is frickin' genius, and I buy it completely. I'm a 300-years-from-NBC-broadcast guy and I like the cut of your jib!
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:05 PM   #34
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Regarding the Abramsverse, which I do not buy into, has anybody mentioned Chekov?

In TOS Season 2, Kirk was 34 years old (Deadly Years) and Chekov was 22 (Who Mourns).

Then in the ST-XI, they're much closer in age. It can't be the same Chekov.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:15 PM   #35
Myko
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post

I like your theory, unfortunately Khan could have picked up the date from the Enterprise's computer banks which he was given access to while in sickbay.
Old March 28 2013, 01:53 PM   #36
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I think he was more interested in the technical specifications of the ship he was on NOW. Plus, all dating would be in Stardates - hardly useful for a time & date check using the Old World Calendar.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:53 PM   #37
F. King Daniel
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Regarding the Abramsverse, which I do not buy into, has anybody mentioned Chekov?

In TOS Season 2, Kirk was 34 years old (Deadly Years) and Chekov was 22 (Who Mourns).

Then in the ST-XI, they're much closer in age. It can't be the same Chekov.
That happened long after the tinelines diverged in 2233, so even if Mama and Papa Chekov had a son earlier, it would not conflict with anything that happened in The Original Series.

Or perhaps Chekov-Prime told Kirk a little fib in "Who Mourns for Adonais", for reasons only he can fathom. He was an odd duck.
Old March 28 2013, 03:16 PM   #38
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post

Oh, please. It's IMPOSSIBLE to reconcile nuTrek and Original Trek chronology-wise.
Not seeing the problem, myself. And I know both versions of Trek backwards.

But then, I don't have pathological anti-Abrams hatred blinding me.
It's not pathological. It's based on a well-founded opinion that his version of Star Trek is utter crap.

This is extremely debatable, firstly while it's your opinion and that's fine, the evidence would suggest it was both critically and commercially well received..in fact, that statistics show it was the MOST well received of any of the movies. Therefore the statement including "well-founded" is actually completely wrong. Simply saying "opinion" would have been correct.

RAMA
Old March 28 2013, 04:01 PM   #39
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

EliyahuQeoni has a quote from Leonard Nimoy in his sig, which sums up the difference between your mindset and his:

Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'
That reads like typical Nimoy being the eternal cheerleader.

He should be reminded that in recent history, opening the mind led to exposure to BS like Voyager, Enterprise, and the Berman TNG movies--none worth the effort in front of cameras, and went a long way in destroying the appeal of the franchise.

No TV or film franchise in history was immune to garbage entries.
Old March 28 2013, 05:03 PM   #40
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Geez, folks! All I suggested was includinag an appendix to cover the Abrams version of the continuity. Seperate from the main body of the chronology. Easy enough to ignore if you have no interest and/or are rpone to spasm over the mere thought of such a thing.

Besides, it's not like a new edition of the Chronology is likely to be published anytime soon.
Old March 28 2013, 05:25 PM   #41
trevanian
Rear Admiral

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post

EDIT ADDON: Man, I miss Dixon. I got a few warnings defending his views, and didn't mind those in the slightest. Guy really had a good line on the whole Enterprise-class thing as I recall.
It's been awhile, Trev! Good to see you still fighting the fight.

Yeah, Dixon- for all his faults- really defined what it meant to be a Trekkie. He was the "fan" in "fanatic" to be sure. And because his inversely iconoclastic views were from a different era of Star Trek fandom, his prowling a place like the TrekBBS was like letting a velociraptor loose in Time Square. It was never bound to end well. But hell, that chronology of his... Wow. Just... Wow.
James Dixon can be found on this forum here. Most of the members, if not all, are James Dixon.
That last bit makes me think of the quantum realities TNG ... am imagining Dixon as Riker shouting: The Dennis Baileys are EVERYWHERE!

(okay, I just saw the red band EVIL DEAD trailer and that grossed me out ALMOST as much as this thought.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:32 PM   #42
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I think the person posting there as "Xon" is most definitely Dixon.
Old March 28 2013, 06:57 PM   #43
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Update the prime universe chronology. The jjverse may not last more than 3 movies and the mirror universe is likely to be of longer duration
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:19 PM   #44
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

I wish I could agree with you, Mysterion. But unless he has had an "inner voice" transplant, Xon just doesn't ring JD to me.

I feel kinda responsible for the disappearance of the King of all Chronologies. I came down on him kinda hard when he stirred the pot at the old FRS forum a little too vigorously. The fact is, the voices of these people that so loved Star Trek that they could pick apart every little bit of minutiae and give it some sense of reason and order-- whether that be an Okuda or a James Dixon -- are not to be thrown away so carelessly. JJTrek has roots, and those roots extend back to stuff about which the folks that are buying tickets today often have no clue. We can believe that JJ's nebulous, action-packed blur, divorced from all Gene Roddenberry's talky bits, is what has made Trek big money. Maybe so. But there is some reason this reinvention was done with Trek and not something else like B5 or Buck Rogers. There is a heart that beats at the bottom of Trek that guys like Dixon understand and that those living off today's fat should ill ignore.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:36 PM   #45
Grant
Fleet Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
There's a wonderful book out there, an over-sized paperback called THE STAR TREK CHRONOLOGY.

It's a detailed timeline that puts dates to TOS. "The Cage" is in 2253, WNM is 2265, the first season is 2266-67, and so on.

Paramount considers it canon. I accept it as such. Do you?
With every fibre of my being.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote