RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,506
Posts: 5,511,406
Members: 25,136
Currently online: 444
Newest member: aprizan

TrekToday headlines

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 28 2013, 03:41 AM   #1
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs at paparazzo: Actor's son drops both f-bombs and the n-bomb in startling video clip.

Wow. Sean Penn-of all people- raised someone to be a short tempered, entitled, asshole. Who WOULD have thunk it?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 04:28 AM   #2
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

It's not fair to blame Sean Penn. Kids can be remarkably different from their parents. Just look at the two Hitchens'; it seems almost impossible that they came from the same parents.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:09 AM   #3
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

It's pointless but I can't prevent myself from saying it:

words are not bombs.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:03 AM   #4
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

Gee. A movie star's kid is a jerk. Shocking.

Um....who cares?
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

the G-man wrote: View Post
Who WOULD have thunk it?
The person holding a lifetime subscription to:
Gossip!
Famous People Behaving Badly

Or even those those who are merely
related to famous people
(Hell, we're just not that choosy)
.
That's who.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 08:29 AM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It's pointless but I can't prevent myself from saying it:

words are not bombs.
Vulgar words are considered bombs when surprisingly used in otherwise polite conversation.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 09:26 AM   #7
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It's pointless but I can't prevent myself from saying it:

words are not bombs.
Vulgar words are considered bombs when surprisingly used in otherwise polite conversation.
I'm aware of the way the word is used, but in my opinion it betrays a perspective on language which I find highly problematic.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

I don't really care, in another context I'd be upset but paparazzi are scum, no one deserves to be treated like celebrities are treated by paparrazi, followed around wherever you go with them just waiting for you to slip up or step into poop so that they can sell their disgusting "work" for lots of dollars.

Even if you argue that celebrities made a choice and have to live with paparazzi (something I don't agree with!), Sean Penn's son did not choose his parents but apparently he has to live with it anyway.

Paparazzi are like the asshats in school who won't stop poking others and just wait for them to explode so that they can claim "I did nothing, I just poked him a little bit and he punched me in the face", no one can or should be blamed for flipping out sooner or later, it's inevitable in some situations.

What makes this worse is that this is probably the best day of the month for this paparazzo, he's not a victim, he got exactly what he wanted, footage that's worth something. Celebrity and son walking from a to b is nothing, son of celebrity hurling slurs is news and the video suddenly in demand.

His choice of words was obviously not the best but he's a teenager in a very difficult situation. I don't want to know what I would have said at his age if people had shoved camera's into my face constantly. I think it's unfair to label him a short tempered, entitled asshole based on a little bit of footage filmed under circumstances no one of us has ever been in.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

Takeru wrote: View Post
I don't really care, in another context I'd be upset but paparazzi are scum, no one deserves to be treated like celebrities are treated by paparrazi, followed around wherever you go with them just waiting for you to slip up or step into poop so that they can sell their disgusting "work" for lots of dollars.

Even if you argue that celebrities made a choice and have to live with paparazzi (something I don't agree with!), Sean Penn's son did not choose his parents but apparently he has to live with it anyway.

Paparazzi are like the asshats in school who won't stop poking others and just wait for them to explode so that they can claim "I did nothing, I just poked him a little bit and he punched me in the face", no one can or should be blamed for flipping out sooner or later, it's inevitable in some situations.

What makes this worse is that this is probably the best day of the month for this paparazzo, he's not a victim, he got exactly what he wanted, footage that's worth something. Celebrity and son walking from a to b is nothing, son of celebrity hurling slurs is news and the video suddenly in demand.

His choice of words was obviously not the best but he's a teenager in a very difficult situation. I don't want to know what I would have said at his age if people had shoved camera's into my face constantly. I think it's unfair to label him a short tempered, entitled asshole based on a little bit of footage filmed under circumstances no one of us has ever been in.
This.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 12:48 PM   #10
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

sidious618 wrote: View Post
It's not fair to blame Sean Penn. Kids can be remarkably different from their parents. ....
Apparently not in this case, however.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:04 PM   #11
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

Takeru wrote: View Post
I don't really care, in another context I'd be upset but paparazzi are scum, no one deserves to be treated like celebrities are treated by paparrazi, followed around wherever you go with them just waiting for you to slip up or step into poop so that they can sell their disgusting "work" for lots of dollars.
They may be scum, but they aren't the cause. If people didn't want their scummy product they wouldn't have a job. For some reason, a lot of people like that kind of thing.

the G-man wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
It's not fair to blame Sean Penn. Kids can be remarkably different from their parents. ....
Apparently not in this case, however.
Maybe Sean Penn is an absolutely horrible person, who cares? It has no bearing on my life nor the lives of almost everyone else in the world.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 03:11 PM   #12
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

the G-man wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
It's not fair to blame Sean Penn. Kids can be remarkably different from their parents. ....
Apparently not in this case, however.
Why are you saying that? Is it because of what he did 25 years ago?
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

^I wonder if it has anything to do with his political views.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Marc
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: An Aussie in Canukistan
Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^I wonder if it has anything to do with his political views.
think that's the real reason behind this thread.
__________________
Gentlemen you can't fight in here - this is the war room.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:38 PM   #15
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Sean Penn's son hurls racist, homophobic slurs

The work Sean Penn has done for Haiti makes up for dickish actions in the past, I think. He was still doing work down there long after we all forgot about it.

Edit: Mind you, I'm not forgiving his violent past but it seems that he's cleaned himself up and has been doing a lot of charitable work over the past decade.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.