Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 27 2013, 03:16 PM   #256
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

I got it yesterday and it looks rather good.
Old March 27 2013, 03:28 PM   #257
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Whoops. Wrong thread.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 27 2013 at 03:57 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:01 PM   #258
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I was very happy when I heard that the fx for Enterprise would not be recreated the way they were in TNG, but what I hear and see now makes me less enthusiastic about it. Especially the color "corrections" ... I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my order ...
Old March 27 2013, 04:09 PM   #259
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I was very happy when I heard that the fx for Enterprise would not be recreated the way they were in TNG, but what I hear and see now makes me less enthusiastic about it. Especially the color "corrections" ... I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my order ...
After watching the live video on the Blu-rays, the color correction is much less noticeable than in the screencaps; I was just as worried but am satisfied with the final look.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:34 PM   #260
RAMA
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I grant that some FX will not look pristine but I'm still looking over comparison images and the bluray shots are ALL superior, even with minor aliasing. No one has any reason to complain.
Reporting the HD image quality is softer and more inconsistent than other Star Trek, and indeed, comparable Blu-ray TV releases is merely a statement of the facts - no more, no less.

Compared to the other remasters, much of it yes. But compare color, detail, contrast, the bluray is noticeably better than the DVD.

RAMA
Old March 27 2013, 04:55 PM   #261
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I grant that some FX will not look pristine but I'm still looking over comparison images and the bluray shots are ALL superior, even with minor aliasing. No one has any reason to complain.
Reporting the HD image quality is softer and more inconsistent than other Star Trek, and indeed, comparable Blu-ray TV releases is merely a statement of the facts - no more, no less.

Compared to the other remasters, much of it yes. But compare color, detail, contrast, the bluray is noticeably better than the DVD.
Well, I'm gratified the image quality is superior to the DVD's - a prerequisite, and pretty much an essential, base, starting point for Blu-ray in my opinion. After all, there'd be very little point in transferring 480i/p material to an HD carrier as is. You're quite entitled to hold the view "there's nothing to complain about", but equally, I'm entitled to disagree with you and feel some level of disappointment the image quality slants toward the mediocre in terms of HD. But, I've already stated, I'm still waiting for my set - so I can't judge or make a definitive call presently - I'm just making an educated guess based on (HD) trailers and screenshots.
Old March 27 2013, 08:47 PM   #262
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Roll on April Fool's Day*. That's when it's released here. Amazon UK seem to be in no rush to send it out early, so I can join the chorus of disappointed moans about the new colour grading, excessive grain and upscaled artifacts.

*You think CBS are trying to tell me something?

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 27 2013 at 09:32 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 09:58 PM   #263
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
After watching the live video on the Blu-rays, the color correction is much less noticeable than in the screencaps; I was just as worried but am satisfied with the final look.
When I watched, I found the color correction to be somewhat subtle - in fact, hardly noticeable. However obviously comparing scenes like-for-like the differences will be more pronounced.
Old March 28 2013, 02:55 AM   #264
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Well, I'm gratified the image quality is superior to the DVD's - a prerequisite, and pretty much an essential, base, starting point for Blu-ray in my opinion. After all, there'd be very little point in transferring 480i/p material to an HD carrier as is. You're quite entitled to hold the view "there's nothing to complain about", but equally, I'm entitled to disagree with you and feel some level of disappointment the image quality slants toward the mediocre in terms of HD. But, I've already stated, I'm still waiting for my set - so I can't judge or make a definitive call presently - I'm just making an educated guess based on (HD) trailers and screenshots.
The color is an improvement to me, the grays are pronounced while the browns tend to be reduced, makng the show look newer, with an attractive sheen to them...I mean just look at the Trekcore pics, small as some are, the improved quality is apparent. Considering the live action is 720p and FX early on were 480p, they shouldn't look THIS good, but they do.

RAMA
Old March 28 2013, 03:12 AM   #265
mswood
Rear Admiral

Got mine today and was comparing it to the saved DVR recordings of the HD broadcast on that HD channel. And for the most part I like it better, with blacks looking more solid, but I am curious why some scenes do have a change in color palette. I mean it could easily be something like correcting a shot that didn't follow the DP notes, or it could be a mistake. Simply put without more detail its impossible to know.

With ENT as the only show shot and delivered at a higher quality of modern Trek, teh change isn't as dramatic as the utterly awful DVD to Bluray of TNG (those DVDs were terrible), not to mention actually saved recordings of an HD broadcast even if 720p, are going to make for a much smaller improvement.

But improvement it is. Considering visually ENT is easily my favorite Trek series (from set design, to costumes, to location work to the various ways the DP filmed the show), I am quite happy.
Old March 28 2013, 06:02 AM   #266
Lucky
Commander

Got mine in today too. Watch the In Conversation feature and Broken Bow with commentary so far. I've been pretty impressed with the visuals, not always perfect but a step up from my dvd sets.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 10:13 PM   #267
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

TrekCore reveals the BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE bonus content found with the Season 1 set, only available through BB's streaming video service - and NOT on any disc:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/ent...exclusive-vam/
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 11:30 PM   #268
Andyperkins
Ensign

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Roll on April Fool's Day*. That's when it's released here. Amazon UK seem to be in no rush to send it out early, so I can join the chorus of disappointed moans about the new colour grading, excessive grain and upscaled artifacts.

*You think CBS are trying to tell me something?
Did you pay for shipping? as they sent my copy yesterday and I received it today.
Andyperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 12:04 AM   #269
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Andyperkins wrote: View Post
Did you pay for shipping? as they sent my copy yesterday and I received it today.
Really? Ah crap. Grouping into the few deliveries option probably did for me. Although I was careful to pick another Blu ray out the same day. I guess they've been waiting for that, to complete the order.

Too late to change it now, with this being a Bank Holiday weekend. If it were dispatched now, there's no post Monday.
Old March 29 2013, 10:11 PM   #270
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Considering the live action is 720p and FX early on were 480p, they shouldn't look THIS good, but they do.
Any live action you see without VFX are 1080p, not 720p. It's just 1080p quality circa 2001/2002.