Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 28 2013, 02:57 AM   #211
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: 20 YEARS AGO TODAY: "But I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today!"

I like Red State more than Zack and Miri, Jersey Girl and that nougated rhino turd we know more commonly as Cop Out, but that's not really saying as much as it probably sounds like.
Old March 28 2013, 04:18 AM   #212
Aldo
Admiral

I actually liked Jersey Girl well enough. I never did understand why it got the thrashing it did...yeah yeah OK I realize some of it might have been to do with Bennifer at the time, but was that really enough to kill the movie?

I want to see Cop Out just based on Kevin's stories from his most recent Q&A special, but probably not enough to actually pay money for it.
Old March 28 2013, 04:24 AM   #213
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I think Jersey Girl is great. It was a bid maudlin for typical Smith, but still a sweet story.

I also liked Cop Out. Yes. It was very cliche and obvious, but still a lot of fun. It was content with what it was.

Zack and Miri though, yuck. I went with friends, and I had this weird experience where I'd sort of "forgotten" it was a Smith film until Mewes showed up.
Old March 28 2013, 04:25 AM   #214
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I do think Z & M and Jersey Girl are both much, much better than Cop Out for what it's worth. JG isn't awful, it was just a deep disappointment after Kevin's first five theatrical pictures and the Bennifer publicity didn't help the film. It does have a lot of heart and soul.

Cop Out is just a bit of a train wreck. It's not Kevin's directing, it's the story. The script is just a colossal, unfocused mess. It's the film that soured Kevin to Bruce Willis after many years of respecting and even loving the guy. Bruce was apparently very difficult and even kind of an asshole on the set and the experience was pretty disillusioning for Kevin.
Old March 28 2013, 04:29 AM   #215
Aldo
Admiral

I just watched his story about making Cop Out again today. For as honest as he comes off, you know he's gotta be holding back his real feelings about Willis.

Though I am curious why he didn't expect this going in, I mean he did work with Willis (albeit briefly) on Live Free or Die Hard, he had to have seen how Willis was treating Len Wiseman?
Old March 28 2013, 04:43 AM   #216
Mr Light
Admiral

Red State is well made and darkly entertaining. It's definitely not a "Kevin Smith" film but it is good.

Cop Out is a fun shallow buddy cop movie. Nothing wrong with that.

Zack and Miri is pretty funny, but it's no Askewniverse.

Jersey Girl I had absolutely no interest in. I only saw it the once and I'm not interested in seeing it again. It's pretty much a straight up drama.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 04:48 AM   #217
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah the main problem with "Cop Out" was the script, just horrid. You'd think it would be perfect for Kevin, and even he has stated that he enjoyed the first drafts of it and seemed up his alley...but for whatever reason the script is incredibly erratic and unfocused like cooleddie stated. I think just the whole process burnt out and stressed Kevin out.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 04:56 AM   #218
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I got the impression Zack and Miri was Smith trying to make an Apatow-style comedy because he saw how well they were doing. When it didn't hit big (for no reason in particular) he decided he simply didn't understand what people wanted any more and started doubting his own vision, which is what caused him to do things like announce his retirement, make Cop Out, publicly tell the critics to fuck off, and make Red State just to get it out of his system.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:03 AM   #219
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
I'm from Washington state.
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Vancouver represent yo!
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Virginia. Also known as one of the places Dante and Emma would have driven through to reach Florida had they gotten married.
Interesting. We used to have discussions at work about weither Smith's humor was too "Jersey Centric" to play outside of the area as well.
Closest I've been to New Jersey is Tennessee. For most of life I've lived in California. Smith's humor is pretty universal though. If it wasn't his films wouldn't have the cult success they do. Not sure what's "Jersey-Centric" about the humor.
Old March 28 2013, 05:06 AM   #220
Aldo
Admiral

Sometimes I wonder if Smith feels he got the short end of the stick. When he closed the book on the View Askewniverse wtih "Strikes Back" I got the impression he was looking to become a serious filmmaker. Then Jersey Girl failed to do anything substantial. Then I saw on the Clerks II doco that he was offered the Green Hornet film, and you gotta wonder how his career would have been different had he done that film as well.

Now granted, I'm glad he didn't get that because we got Clerks II instead, but I just feel bad for the guy that his career never took off.
Old March 28 2013, 05:20 AM   #221
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

He also wrote a script treatment for the aborted Superman film that would have starred Nicolas Cage so he was getting offers to do "serious" work from several different corners of the industry in the wake of the first five Askewniverse films and JG.

He's said point blank that his heart was never in doing the Green Hornet project. As he himself stated in the Clerks 2 documentary: "If I wanted to make the fat cash I'd have fucking done Green Hornet." His heart and soul are in much smaller productions and it always shows.
Old March 28 2013, 05:24 AM   #222
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Kevin's "Green Hornet" script has been turned into a comic, which is awesome. I think the first two arcs of it are based directly from the script...I wish it would have been made, because it's one of my favourite things from him ever. Mulan Kato (Kato's daughter) is one of my current favourite comic book characters.

I also dug Kevin's "Superman Lives" script.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 08:06 AM   #223
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
I just watched his story about making Cop Out again today. For as honest as he comes off, you know he's gotta be holding back his real feelings about Willis.
There are two things I really respect about Kevin Smith:

1) He's probably the most honest person in Hollywood. Every time he has a camera in his face or a mic in his hand, he doesn't bullshit around.

and 2) Even though he is VERY honest, he also has respect for other people. Just listen to his podcast "Hollywood Babble-on". Every time Ralph is tearing somebody apart, Kevin usually has nothing to add, and he often makes fun of how angry Ralph gets.

I admit I don't know the guy personally, but he just comes off as very easy going. Not that he's a pushover or anything, because he has talked very publicly about his negative experiences directing Linda Fiorentino, Bruce Willis, Jeremy London, but he never goes too far. He knows when to pull back the reins.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 12:01 PM   #224
Mr Light
Admiral

I hadn't heard about Jeremy London, what was his malfunction?

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 12:23 PM   #225
Aldo
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I hadn't heard about Jeremy London, what was his malfunction?
He kept forgetting his lines, like all the time.