Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2013, 09:51 AM   #316
Ithekro
Captain

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

There shouldn't be any sighting of a completed Space Battleship Andromeda in this series. (though a plan for it maybe) It was launched in story for the second film/series. So it won't be ready the first time Yamato comes home.

I hope to see Kirishima again though. I half expect it to fire a nice parting shot to a Gamilas warship with its bow cannon.

As for Niimi. I too think there is a connection between Kodai Mamoru, Sanada, and her. They are all around the same age (late 20s). A friend of mine speculated that if things had gone another way, she'd be Susumu's sister-in-law.

From what little we know of Chapter 5 at this time, I suspect Episode 17 will be the Yamato 2199 version of the Space Fortress episode, where we got most of Sanada's backstory in the original. Though I don't know what will happen to Niimi and the others after the mutiny (Shima will live, but he could be in the "dog house" with the Captain and crew for this one).
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:40 PM   #317
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ithekro wrote: View Post
There shouldn't be any sighting of a completed Space Battleship Andromeda in this series. (though a plan for it maybe) It was launched in story for the second film/series. So it won't be ready the first time Yamato comes home.

I hope to see Kirishima again though. I half expect it to fire a nice parting shot to a Gamilas warship with its bow cannon.

As for Niimi. I too think there is a connection between Kodai Mamoru, Sanada, and her. They are all around the same age (late 20s). A friend of mine speculated that if things had gone another way, she'd be Susumu's sister-in-law.

From what little we know of Chapter 5 at this time, I suspect Episode 17 will be the Yamato 2199 version of the Space Fortress episode, where we got most of Sanada's backstory in the original. Though I don't know what will happen to Niimi and the others after the mutiny (Shima will live, but he could be in the "dog house" with the Captain and crew for this one).
Your right about the Andromeda not showing up (of course, we do not know what the script writers have in mind). Right now I believe that there are ships under construction which we may or may not see.

I agree about Niimi (sorry for spelling her name wrong in my previous post) possibly being something more than friends with Mamoru Kodai. I wonder if his death affected her judgement when the general ordered her to continue the Izumo plan underneath Capt Okita's nose.

Man the wait is going to be so worth it in June when some sites have chapter 5 eps up. If they follow standard procedure for mutinies, it would normally be after a court martial, death for all conspirators or just death for the ring leader. Of course Capt Okita will probably just assign brig time for all of them with Niimi, if she is the ring leader that called for it to happen, getting the longest sentence. We will have to wait and see.
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 04:55 AM   #318
Ithekro
Captain

It is a ways until June. However we should get at least the first half of episode 15 by early April.

Plus I am curious what the reaction will be to this series once it get on TV. There are few if any reviewers on the Youtube anime watcher scene that seem to be paying it any attention at all (aside from maybe a mention that it is showing in the Spring season). As we get closer I start seeing a few more people looking forward to it, or are at least curious due to some of the word put out by those watching the BD releases. That is assuming they haven't been watching online and just haven't reviewed it openly...or perhaps it isn't their cup of tea? I know of a few sites that were in the wait for it to be on TV mode last year, and at least one that watched the first episode last April (as it was online free as a preview) and said "too old, don't care". Or too 70s or something like that.
Old March 21 2013, 05:13 AM   #319
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a ways until June. However we should get at least the first half of episode 15 by early April.

Plus I am curious what the reaction will be to this series once it get on TV. There are few if any reviewers on the Youtube anime watcher scene that seem to be paying it any attention at all (aside from maybe a mention that it is showing in the Spring season). As we get closer I start seeing a few more people looking forward to it, or are at least curious due to some of the word put out by those watching the BD releases. That is assuming they haven't been watching online and just haven't reviewed it openly...or perhaps it isn't their cup of tea? I know of a few sites that were in the wait for it to be on TV mode last year, and at least one that watched the first episode last April (as it was online free as a preview) and said "too old, don't care". Or too 70s or something like that.
Don't know to much about that, but I do know that at two sites that are showing the eps that have been uploaded, the ratings are at about 4.5 stars with several votes for the series. Also, the views have been very high too. Actual comments on the series not that many. Of course I do not know who uploaded it to one site, but it seems three eps (5, 13, and 14) the sub-titles got screwed up somehow for about 5-10 mins. The other site the sub-titles were ok. Also, it seems that someone did like a fan sub for it but it still had the regular sub-titles as well that came with it. Its kind of annoying when you see the same ep title at the end in two different fonts and in different places on the screen. lol...

As for the people that knock it before they try it (even if they did watch it) do not know what they are missing. Of course, if they only know of Marcross, or Gundam, then there might be an issue since those two particular series have been around since the late 70's early 80's with the various incarnations. While Space battleship Yamato was only around for 10 yrs at most when the last movie was made back then until a few yrs ago. So there are fans of anime sci-fi that may think what you said. Of course the music has been updated to Heisei era from Showa era. I learned about that when I was looking at some updated Godzilla, and Mothra Music and learned about it. As well as adding some new music to the mix makes it feel more modern and new. I guess there are people that are just fickle I guess!?

Edit: At one of the sites, each ep with the exception of ep 13 has over 1,000 views. Ep 11 currently has almost 9,000 views. Of course the actual view count is skewed due to the fact that they also put the placement of the next eps up and already ep 15 has over a 1,000 views.

Last edited by RangerH; March 21 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old March 24 2013, 09:43 AM   #320
Zaku
Commander

and said "too old, don't care". Or too 70s or something like that.
No creepy lolicon themes?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? They don't know what an anime fan really want????
Zaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 03:43 PM   #321
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zaku wrote: View Post
and said "too old, don't care". Or too 70s or something like that.
No creepy lolicon themes?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? They don't know what an anime fan really want????
I agree with that statement.... Of course, the anime fans want stuff that they think is good or I should say, stuff that has craziness in it. It reminds me of a conversation in another forum about a certain manga that everyone likes wondering if it was going to get an anime. We all agreed that it was slim to none. But the fans on this side of the pond from Japan were the ones wanting it to become one. I wonder what the TV reaction in Japan will be once Space Battleship Yamato 2199 finally airs. It should go thru the roof. Not just with older fans. But with younger viewers who liked Gundam and Macross series (in all their various incarnations). Oh yeah, there is some fanservice that everyone likes.
Old March 24 2013, 09:41 PM   #322
Ithekro
Captain

I think they meant style wise. As it it was done to look like an anime from the 70s, and a lot of the bloggers and youtuber anime reviews are in their 20s or maybe early 30s. Thus, Space Battleship Yamato and Star Blazers is considered to be from, "the before times". And with some people, if it happened before they were born (especially in anime) they really don't care. Usually because it looks horrible to them (art and animation wise) or the plots are way too slow (which having watched the original in Japanese, I can say there are quite a few spots where the director spent way too much time on establishing shots and narration in 1974). However most of that was fixed for Yamato 2199. And it shows as the plot is farther along by episode 14 than it was in the original, and that is with at least two completely new episodes included into it.

A few older bloggers do remember Star Blazers and are either looking forward to this, or are already watching it. I myself am probably one of the youngest of the original fans of Star Blazers as I saw it as a two or three year old on televison during its first run. I know a few fans of it that are younger than I am, but they generally saw it on video or much more recently (I've inflicted it on a few people).

As for the other angle. Well that's probably a reason there is fanservice in the show at all. Though the closest thing to a loli on the ship is a 17 year old Yuria, which doesn't count. There is of course Hilde who is 13, but she's had few scenes and no fanservice, though she is getting a figurine after Yuki and Yamamoto. A few of the older female fans are a little upset by the new style fanservice (more so at the promotional material fanservice) and the lack of counter fanservice of the guys. Also the lack of older women. The oldest female we know of on the ship is Niimi, who is I think 27 years old. Though it can be said that there seems to only be maybe a half dozen to a dozen men on the ship that are over 30. And most of them are in engineering.
Old March 24 2013, 11:02 PM   #323
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think they meant style wise. As it it was done to look like an anime from the 70s, and a lot of the bloggers and youtuber anime reviews are in their 20s or maybe early 30s. Thus, Space Battleship Yamato and Star Blazers is considered to be from, "the before times". And with some people, if it happened before they were born (especially in anime) they really don't care. Usually because it looks horrible to them (art and animation wise) or the plots are way too slow (which having watched the original in Japanese, I can say there are quite a few spots where the director spent way too much time on establishing shots and narration in 1974). However most of that was fixed for Yamato 2199. And it shows as the plot is farther along by episode 14 than it was in the original, and that is with at least two completely new episodes included into it.

A few older bloggers do remember Star Blazers and are either looking forward to this, or are already watching it. I myself am probably one of the youngest of the original fans of Star Blazers as I saw it as a two or three year old on televison during its first run. I know a few fans of it that are younger than I am, but they generally saw it on video or much more recently (I've inflicted it on a few people).

As for the other angle. Well that's probably a reason there is fanservice in the show at all. Though the closest thing to a loli on the ship is a 17 year old Yuria, which doesn't count. There is of course Hilde who is 13, but she's had few scenes and no fanservice, though she is getting a figurine after Yuki and Yamamoto. A few of the older female fans are a little upset by the new style fanservice (more so at the promotional material fanservice) and the lack of counter fanservice of the guys. Also the lack of older women. The oldest female we know of on the ship is Niimi, who is I think 27 years old. Though it can be said that there seems to only be maybe a half dozen to a dozen men on the ship that are over 30. And most of them are in engineering.
I agree on all points.

I was 7 or 8 when I first saw Starblazers back in the late 70's. Of course fans will be fickle about a lot of things like the plot to fanservice.

I like how the story has been expanded to explain a lot things that were missed, and how they removed the things that made no sense at all (Case in point the Pluto lifeforms). Addition of more female characters was a big plus. I think the reason why we do not see that many older crew members, except for the engineering section personnel that are experienced, is because of the aforementioned Izumo plan which was to escape Earth. Let the young live to colonize a new world.
Old March 25 2013, 12:17 AM   #324
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

RangerH wrote: View Post

I agree on all points.

I was 7 or 8 when I first saw Starblazers back in the late 70's. Of course fans will be fickle about a lot of things like the plot to fanservice.

I like how the story has been expanded to explain a lot things that were missed, and how they removed the things that made no sense at all (Case in point the Pluto lifeforms). Addition of more female characters was a big plus. I think the reason why we do not see that many older crew members, except for the engineering section personnel that are experienced, is because of the aforementioned Izumo plan which was to escape Earth. Let the young live to colonize a new world.
That and the fact that the war has been going badly for Earth and likely meaning that most of the older experienced officers have likely been killed.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:27 AM   #325
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
That and the fact that the war has been going badly for Earth and likely meaning that most of the older experienced officers have likely been killed.
No debate there. That was also mentioned by Tokugawa and Capt Okita when they were talking about living while younger officers and crew were dieing in ep 7.
Old March 27 2013, 05:44 PM   #326
Ithekro
Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lV-WEcWZ0jw

Long version of the Chapter 5 trailer. Lots of stuff going on in these next four episodes. So much that I'm having trouble processing all the awesome.
Old March 27 2013, 06:15 PM   #327
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just saw the newest trailer for chapter 5 of SBY 2199. Man it creates a lot of questions and gives us a few clues.

I can not wait to see these next eps.
Old March 28 2013, 03:10 AM   #328
Ithekro
Captain

Things are going beyond hairy for the crew of the Yamato. Massive enemy fleets, mutiny, weird giant insects, alien space goddesses.

And not all is rosy for the Gamilas either. Assassinations, political agendas, secret police potentally running amuck, and one little Earth ship blasting though ships like that are made of cardboard.
Old March 28 2013, 09:18 AM   #329
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Man, just two more weeks!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:36 PM   #330
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Man, just two more weeks!
That's for the japanese theatre showings - the Blu-Ray doesn't release until May 28.2013 -- so make that two months.

[Yep - looks like a real interesting batch of 4 episodes there based on that preview]
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote