Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 22 2013, 11:16 PM   #481
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Oh, I know the food he's talking about too, but it's only as Mexican as chop suey is Chinese. Tex Mex is heavy and cheesy, but it's such a tiny and Americanized twist on Mexicab cuisine that it really shouldn't be seen as representative. Real Mexican food is hugely diverse, blending the traditional cooking of hundreds of indigenous peoples with Spanish and French influences. It would be a bummer to dismiss the wide variety of Mexican foods as cheesy and stodgy.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 11:19 PM   #482
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I love Mexican food. Not at Taco Bell, which I can't stand. But at a real sit-down Mexican restaurant.

I also love margaritas. Repeatedly.
Old March 22 2013, 11:53 PM   #483
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Most people wouldn't know real Mexican food if it walked up to them and said "burrito!"
Old March 23 2013, 12:02 AM   #484
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

While I love a good sit-down Mexican restaurant, I probably wouldn't know authentic Mexican food either (I live in Ohio). Taco Bell doesn't even qualify as "food", much less "Mexican food". I'm not sure how authentic it is, but we have a Mexican restaurant that serves everything from scratch, from the tortillas to the pico de gallo, and it is so good! I love fresh food, and am not a fan of heavy foods, and this restaurant only serves the heavier stuff if you ask for it specifically. Otherwise, everything is fresh veggies, and such.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 12:13 AM   #485
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Also, "Tex-Mex" is an inaccurate term for most stuff. Qualities that people attribute to Tex-Mex are really Santa Fean.

The excessive cheese thing, for example: Santa Fe was the major trade hub between the French and Spanish for almost two centuries. The French would bring all their cheeses down and put it on everything.

Pico de gallo is another good example. "Real" Mexican Pico is much saucier and less aromatic. The chunkiness and excessive cilantro were also French things.

And there's a lot of other stuff that people call Mexican but isn't really Mexican at all. It's Pueblo.
Old March 23 2013, 12:22 AM   #486
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I like to call it delicious. I love strong foods.
Old March 23 2013, 06:23 AM   #487
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I love strong foods too, that would be my main food requirement.

Sometimes when I'm eating stuff other people have made I find it incredibly bland and tasteless because if it was mine I would have put a lot of herbs or chillies or lime or cracked pepper or garlic or..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 10:18 AM   #488
lurok
Commodore

As we don't have Taco Bell, the nearest thing most people get to a chain TexMex experience in UK is Chiquitos, which is the classic salty/cheesy/heavy burrito type of place. But at least (nerd alert) it brought together Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, so there's that to be grateful for .

My fave mexican place in London is Taqueria , which is more like Mex tapas and bloody good! Some of the best Latin/Central American food I had living in LA wasn't Mex/TexMex but Salvadorean and Ecuadorean, anonymous little places in strip malls.

And for teacake, some Yotam Ottolenghi fresh coconut recipes. Yum.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:27 PM   #489
Relayer1
Commodore

I would never go to a 'certain' UK Mexican. They nearly killed my sister in law - seriously, they put her in hospital.
Old March 27 2013, 10:26 PM   #490
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm late to the party, but I LOVE food. If you are looking into replacing a ground meat, like turkey and beef, with a vegan replacement, tempeh is awesome and mixed in with some nuts and stir fry it or cook like normal ground beef for tacos is amazing. And flax seeds are a super food.
Old March 27 2013, 11:09 PM   #491
J. Allen
Best Pony™

teacake wrote: View Post
I love strong foods too, that would be my main food requirement.

Sometimes when I'm eating stuff other people have made I find it incredibly bland and tasteless because if it was mine I would have put a lot of herbs or chillies or lime or cracked pepper or garlic or..
Two of my favorite seasonings are garlic and pepper. My family gets annoyed, because I will garlic the hell out of my food, and they can smell it from across the room. I can't help it, I like strongly seasoned food!

Also, curry. I love curry.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I'm late to the party, but I LOVE food. If you are looking into replacing a ground meat, like turkey and beef, with a vegan replacement, tempeh is awesome and mixed in with some nuts and stir fry it or cook like normal ground beef for tacos is amazing. And flax seeds are a super food.
Firstly, you're not late to the party, because the party's still going, and secondly, I'll try that, thanks!
Old March 27 2013, 11:18 PM   #492
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Tim Curry? He's spicy.
Old March 29 2013, 01:48 AM   #493
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Tempeh is great but I never cook with it because it is stupid expensive here and I'm not one to want meat replacements as far as feel and texture. I eat tempeh at hippy cafes sometimes, had some nice wraps with it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 02:36 AM   #494
J. Allen
Best Pony™

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Tim Curry? He's spicy.
Indeed he is.
Old March 30 2013, 05:34 AM   #495
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Tempeh is great but I never cook with it because it is stupid expensive here and I'm not one to want meat replacements as far as feel and texture. I eat tempeh at hippy cafes sometimes, had some nice wraps with it.
We have Whole Foods in the USA, I bought it it for 50 cents off a pack. But the packs are half a pound, 8 ounces, and normally cost $3.

A friend made a great meal with it, that I copy. It's onions and garlic (and whatever other veggies you want, snap peas are good), tempeh and nuts mixture roasted to a nice crunch, then shredded potatoes, rinsed well, dried off then roasted to the point you couldn't tell it's a potato.

You cook up some noodles, I like Udon (Spelling?), add soy sauce, then mix in the veggie mix. On top you add the potato, tempeh and nut mixture. It's awesome and really filling.