Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 27 2013, 05:50 AM   #31
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Brannon Braga on a possible Season 5 through Netflix + More...

Dream wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
If someone was going to resurrect one of the previous Star Trek series, I'd prefer they resurrected TOS, not Enterprise. And judging by how popular Abrams's movies are, that seems more like a realistic possibility.
How would that work? Two of the actors from TOS have already died.
And yet they found someone to play them in the new movies. It's called recasting.
Old March 27 2013, 06:16 AM   #32
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

If someone was going to resurrect one of the previous Star Trek series, I'd prefer they resurrected TOS, not Enterprise. And judging by how popular Abrams's movies are, that seems more like a realistic possibility.
The operative word here is resurrect, remember?
Old March 27 2013, 06:25 AM   #33
Dream
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
The operative word here is resurrect, remember?
So necromancy will be required?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:00 AM   #34
Oso Blanco
Commodore

The one problem I can see here is ... I don't think I can watch Netflix in Germany, isn't that only available in the US? But hey, I'm sure those episodes would surface *elsewhere* sooner or later ...
Old March 27 2013, 07:33 AM   #35
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Starting a petition is silly. Braga's point is that, if enough people watch Enterprise on Netflix, Netflix may be interested in producing more episodes.
Old March 27 2013, 07:59 AM   #36
billcosby
Commodore

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

As for Braga's Netflix pipe dream: the real hurdle would be CBS. It's not $JJTrek and they outright own Star Trek's license.

There was a website dedicated to getting a fan funded season 5 from Paramount/CBS in the spring/summer of 2005, shortly after Enterprise was cancelled. I think three astronauts even contributed a million to the cause. It was even picked up by some news agencies at the time. The donations were returned after CBS told the fans the Enterprise story was over and that "Star Trek was tired and it needed to go lie down for a while," or something like that.

Some argued (validly) with all the suffering and need in the world, that people would spend so much of their money on a television series... and counter-arguements demanded that people had a right to spend money how they wanted. That topic became it's own debate. But this all took place over several months.

During all of this the Trek fans who hated Enterprise (and there were many) were in a the middle of a gigantic trollquake (on these internets). That was a Trek fan base divided, much worse than during the 4 year run of the series. Some of the actors expressed their humble thanks for the effort by the fans when the dust settled and the years to come. This seems like it happened 100 years ago.

It was a grueling time to be an Enterprise fan and I find it disturbing that Braga would actually give any fans of the series false hope in this regard. The only thing this story is missing is an illustration of Braga in a graveyard and taking a big, festering, steaming dump over the grave of Enterprise and laughing at some fans standing nearby crying.

Last edited by billcosby; March 27 2013 at 09:46 AM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:08 AM   #37
Dream
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Starting a petition is silly. Braga's point is that, if enough people watch Enterprise on Netflix, Netflix may be interested in producing more episodes.
Braga is deluding himself.

ENT was never that popular when it was on or will ever become that popular in the future.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:57 AM   #38
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Braga is deluding himself.

ENT was never that popular when it was on or will ever become that popular in the future.
You're probably right, but a petition is even more delusional.
Old March 27 2013, 03:15 PM   #39
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

It is nice to see his enthusiasm for the show is still solid. I would love this to happen. Is there a Kickstarter campaign?
Old March 27 2013, 03:50 PM   #40
Dukhat
Commodore

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Is there a Kickstarter campaign?
CBS owns Trek in its entirety. Raising a million dollars in a kickstarter campaign means nothing if CBS simply has no interest in creating a series.
Old March 27 2013, 03:58 PM   #41
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I'd like to say there was, as I maybe would put some funds toward it... providing I got them back, if nothing happened. But realistically it's too expensive to produce Star Trek up to the standard expected, unless you're a secret millionare looking to hide some cash in a tax dodge. Veronica Mars, they can basically go shoot that out in the streets and borrow some real building for a few weeks. Starships cost money!

Trouble with the Save Enterprise campaign, which for me at least, carried on until at least May 2006 - when I mailed a printed document containing thousands of petition signatures looking for a Direct-to-DVD continuation of some sort - was it didn't really have any insider help. I stopped mailing homemade postcards not long after and gave it all up.

Then there was this site not connected to that, except through somebody else who used to post at the Trekunited forums. It's not been updated for years and is very much dead from the looks of it.

For a few years, this place I used to hang around at: Save Enterprise and Beyond

Hoping for a second wind thanks to Netflix is the safest way to hope for these things to happen, and I still wouldn't get your hopes up. If CBS wanted to produce a Star Trek show, whether its Enterprise or whatever... they'd just do it already. I dunno... I doubt differentiating streaming figures between this version and that one will determine where they set that new spin-off and what it's about. I bet CBS would look at Netflix's data and lump it all in, as Star Trek. :\

The 22nd Century would need to be the only game in town to get such a spike in interest noticed and that's not going to happen. Sure they could try some crafty tactics, like promoting it harder and displaying the 5 series in chronological rather than production, so Enterprise is always at the beginning of any list. Or the other way around, list the produced seasons with the most recent in 2004-5 at the top.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 27 2013 at 04:26 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 06:27 PM   #42
F. King Daniel
Admiral

How about something unofficial? Star Trek: Renegades raised $200,000 on Kickstarter for their pilot movie, reuniting many of Voyager's secondary cast and a few others. Would any of the Enterprise cast or crew be interested in something similar?
Old March 27 2013, 06:39 PM   #43
Gaith
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
I find it disturbing that Braga would actually give any fans of the series false hope in this regard.
This. The idea that ENT would get an official filmed revival at this point is only slightly more plausible than Nader actually becoming president in 2017.

All Good Things come to an end... and so does Enterprise.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:47 PM   #44
Danger Ace
Commander

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Not sure how any Star Trek would stay exclusive to Netflix myself. I mean, there must be plenty of old farts like me, who like shelves full of DVD and Blu ray box-sets!
Sadly, my friend, they won't care. They'll be like Kahn in ST II:TWoK. They'll look you straight in the eye and hiss, "The way we see it, you simply will have no alternative."

And you won't.

If Netflix underwrote any form of new Trek then it would be based on how many NEW subscribers they felt they could attract. And to maximize their growth it would need to be "exclusive" to their service for quite some time.

Also, the media conglomerates don't like CDs, DVDs, or Blu Rays. They do not want you to own box sets or any physical manifestation of their inventory. They love that streaming is almost here as the predominant system of delivery. Why? Because it gives them maximine control and say in how and when you enjoy their offerings.

All kidding aside, I loathe "Enterprise" not only for what it was and wasn't, but for what it, in my opinion, represented. Having said that, I recognize there are those who (to varying degrees) love the series', therefore, I would support a renewal of "Enterprise." One thing I do love within Star Trek fans is the incredible diversity of thought and outlook - that is such a neat (and not mentioned often enough) feature of Trek fandom. Salute.

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:57 PM   #45
Danger Ace
Commander

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
It is nice to see his enthusiasm for the show is still solid. I would love this to happen. Is there a Kickstarter campaign?
Actually, the much hyped "Veronica Mars" Kickstart campaign is also drawing some backlash as many (me included) feel it is an abuse of what Kickstart was setup for - it was setup to help the "little guy"/independent gain financing for their projects. It is not there to help multi-national super-conglomerates extend the brand of their franchises.

Yes, Virginia, this post is an expression of my opinion.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote