Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 27 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

There's a wonderful book out there, an over-sized paperback called THE STAR TREK CHRONOLOGY.

It's a detailed timeline that puts dates to TOS. "The Cage" is in 2253, WNM is 2265, the first season is 2266-67, and so on.

Paramount considers it canon. I accept it as such. Do you?
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Not really. Its the closest we've got, and the Okudas obviously worked on the production at the time so they had a lot of cred. But a lot of the entries in the book have got the footnote "conjecture" attached to them. I tend to look at it as only being as valid as any other piece of Star Trek fiction. Certainly an interpretation of events, but not necessarily the right interpretation of events.

That having been said, it was an interesting read and an updated edition is long overdue.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It wasn't canon - many dates and events conjectured in the chronology were changed when they eventually made it to screen. There's even a disclaimer to that effect at the start.

What had been made canon with regard to TOS' timeframe is...

The five-year mission ended in 2270 (VOY: "Q2")

Kirk was born in 2233 (STXI)

Kirk was 34 during "The Deady Years"

A deleted scene in STXI gives 2230 as Spock's birth year.

I think it all works out close enough to the Star Trek Chronology's conjectures. There's an updated version of the timeline in Voyages of Imagination, which includes all the films, episodes and novels up until about 2006. It includes the updated info from "Q2" and thusly moves The Motion Picture to 2273.
Old March 27 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Paramount considers it canon.
No, they don't.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The book contains what I'd consider an ultimate flaw and still today it is totally beyond my understanding how that flaw could have been overlooked in the first place:

In Star Trek II - THE WRATH OF KHAN both Khan and Kirk state on different occasions that they have not seen each other for 15 years.

This information is clearly audible and if I recall correctly there is an extended or deleted scene that makes an additional reference to these "15 years" between "Space Seed" and the second film.

Khan was (and still feels) to be the king of Earth and since Kirk is also a Human I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever, that they were both referring to solar years and this was what director and scriptwriter wanted to convey to the audience.

Bob
Robert Comsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Space Seed and Wrath of Khan also contain clearly audible references to Khan's reign on Earth, in the 1990's, being two hundred years ago. Wrath of Khan itself begins with "In the 23rd century..."

I'd say the Chronology did a reasonable job, considering the schizophrenic nature of date references in TOS and the early movies. Sometimes occasional lines just have to be ignored - like the 700 year reference in "The Squire of Gothos"
Old March 27 2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Robert Comsol
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Space Seed and Wrath of Khan also contain clearly audible references to Khan's reign on Earth, in the 1990's, being two hundred years ago. Wrath of Khan itself begins with "In the 23rd century..."
I'd say there is a difference between a premise that changed between TOS and TMP in contrast to an established time difference between two events in the 23rd Century.

Bob
Robert Comsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I would love to see an updated version of this, though I realize how vastly improbable that is. The second edition with the color pictures was beautiful though.

For that matter I'd love an updated Encyclopedia, which is probably even more of a pipe dream.

Yes, I know the info's all out there on the internet, but in this case I think there's something to be said for being able to hold it in my hands and leaf through the pages.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:12 PM   #9
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

No. I prefer the earlier Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology.
It was a Paramount-licensed, first published accounting of the years between now and the 23rd century.

I prefer that book's account of historic events and the sequence in which they unfolded.

Some argue this book's timeline is shifted 50 years behind the official history, or similarly incompatible. Aside from that, I like that history of events rather than the Official Chronology. The actual years of events aren't as important to me as the depiction of which historic events happened in relation to each other
(e.g. Romulans encountered before Klingons, Star Fleet formed after UFP founding, and so on).

Last edited by SchwEnt; March 27 2013 at 10:25 PM.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 05:17 PM   #10
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Nah, I don't like having specific dates pinned down that long after the fact. I like it nebulous.
Old March 27 2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I accept the Okudachron for the most part. I agree with the criticism of the TWoK error mentioned above, and there are some other data points that have been contradicted on-screen since it was published. I also would love to see an updated version published. Perhaps with an appendix detailing the timeline of the Abrams-Trek continuity included.
Old March 27 2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Any chance that it could be updated officially?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:13 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

I have a copy of the published Chronology but, no, I don't consider accurate and official. In fact that's why I worked out my own chronology.
Old March 27 2013, 11:24 PM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

DonIago wrote: View Post
I would love to see an updated version of this, though I realize how vastly improbable that is. The second edition with the color pictures was beautiful though.

For that matter I'd love an updated Encyclopedia, which is probably even more of a pipe dream.

Yes, I know the info's all out there on the internet, but in this case I think there's something to be said for being able to hold it in my hands and leaf through the pages.
Those are my dreams too. But with all the information...and misinformation on the internet I won't hold my breath.
Old March 28 2013, 02:03 AM   #15
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

King Daniel wrote: View Post

I'd say the Chronology did a reasonable job, considering the schizophrenic nature of date references in TOS and the early movies. Sometimes occasional lines just have to be ignored - like the 700 year reference in "The Squire of Gothos"
I just imagined that Trelane's planet was 700 light-years from Earth, and that's why he got screwed up time-wise. The anachronism I find most irritating in that episode is the Salt Vampire in the front hall.

Mysterion wrote: View Post
I accept the Okudachron for the most part. I agree with the criticism of the TWoK error mentioned above, and there are some other data points that have been contradicted on-screen since it was published. I also would love to see an updated version published. Perhaps with an appendix detailing the timeline of the Abrams-Trek continuity included.
The Abramsverse crap happened in a different universe, so why contaminate REAL Trek with it?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote