Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 26 2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: The ENT and Melakon

teacake wrote: View Post
And Melakon, you've watched the whole thing!! Well I hope we still get reviews
Yes, I intend to review them all. When I originally saw the first season in broadcast, nothing really stood out for me until 5 or 6 shows in ("Civilization") so the review for it will be along after a few.

And I thought Archer was pretty lame originally (though Bakula does real well with him), after watching the later episodes I can see how the character grows.
Old March 26 2013, 08:10 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Excellent. Nice to see you back.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 08:06 PM   #18
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
My biggest problem with the episode is how Ensign Sato is written. She whines about her quarters on the "wrong side" of the ship, she tells others she's going to ask for a transfer, and she tries to get out of a boarding party mission due to being claustrophobic in a spacesuit. None of this serves to make her a likeable character, though she does manage to redeem herself by the end.
Hoshi developes quite nicely as the series goes on.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 08:21 PM   #19
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

gblews wrote: View Post
Do you really think so? I think she traded her insecurities for... not much of anything.
Old March 26 2013, 08:26 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Do you really think so? I think she traded her insecurities for... not much of anything.
Agreed. They could've replaced her, Reed and Mayweather with cardboard cutouts and I doubt we'd have noticed much of a difference.
Old March 26 2013, 08:28 PM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Agreed. They could've replaced her, Reed and Mayweather with cardboard cutouts and I doubt we'd have noticed much of a difference.
I wouldn't go that far. Mayweather could have been replaced with a cardboard cutout. Reed and Sato were one-note characters, but not completely blank slates. They had their moments.
Old March 26 2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Skywalker
Admiral

Reed really benefited from his friendship with Trip. In the early episodes it looked like they were trying to make Trip and Mayweather buddies instead, but clearly Trinneer and Keating had much better chemistry.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 08:22 AM   #23
Melakon
Vice Admiral

1:03 - Strange New World

TV blurb: Trip trips out, T'Pol tests her improvisational skills, and Porthos takes one giant leak for all dogkind.

I watched this 5 times in 2 days trying to figure out who was crazy and who wasn't, and I'm still not entirely sure. Kellie Waymire makes her first appearance as Cutler. Travis' big scene is getting to tell a ghost story around a campfire.

There are some good stage effects during an intense storm, but for a planetside story it's very claustrophobic with tight closeups and few outdoor scenes, real or soundstage, after the landing party takes shelter in a cave.

When this originally aired, I was unimpressed. I still am.
Old March 27 2013, 09:31 AM   #24
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Enough with the campfires! Gah, what is it with them and endless marshmelon references.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 05:04 PM   #25
feek61
Captain

TV blurb: Trip trips out, T'Pol tests her improvisational skills, and Porthos takes one giant leak for all dogkind.

I watched this 5 times in 2 days trying to figure out who was crazy and who wasn't, and I'm still not entirely sure. Kellie Waymire makes her first appearance as Cutler. Travis' big scene is getting to tell a ghost story around a campfire.

There are some good stage effects during an intense storm, but for a planetside story it's very claustrophobic with tight closeups and few outdoor scenes, real or soundstage, after the landing party takes shelter in a cave.

I have the call sheets for "Enterprise" and this was filmed at the "Disney Ranch" and in "Bronson Canyon" at the Bronson Cave. The same place BTW that they film TOS "Bread and Circuses" at.

I agree; not a great episode.
Old March 27 2013, 06:27 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

feek61 wrote: View Post

I have the call sheets for "Enterprise" and this was filmed at the "Disney Ranch" and in "Bronson Canyon" at the Bronson Cave. The same place BTW that they film TOS "Bread and Circuses" at.

Strange New World was one of my favorites from the first season. Showed the tremendous chemistry between Trinner and Blalock early on.
Old March 27 2013, 08:21 PM   #27
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I do. She went from a scared young girl to one willing to give her life in order to save her people. She also was instrumental in stalling and eventually stopping the Reptilians plan to destroy Earth.

Along the way she proves herself to be adept at martial arts, she helps develope the universal translator. And even though it was an alternate universe, we all know what she did in the Mirror episodes.

On top of all that, Linda Park turned out to be possibly the third best actor in the cast behind John Billingley and Conner Trinneer.

They simply didn't write all that much for her, but what she did get, she worked. And I'm not one of the Hoshi/Linda-philes (but I am a T'Pol/Jolene-phile). Park was the only actor on the show whose character had great friendship, (or) romantic, and collegial chemistry with all of the other characters.

Disagree about Reed also. He really distinguished himself in several episodes especially the the Mirror episods. Now Mayweather, played by an actor hired strictly because of his looks, IMO, could easily have been replaced.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 09:13 PM   #28
Melakon
Vice Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post

Strange New World was one of my favorites from the first season. Showed the tremendous chemistry between Trinner and Blalock early on.
Disney Ranch may have been for those early scenes with Porthos running off and doing his thing.

Since I watched the entire series last month, I'll admit one of the first season's greatest strengths was developing characterizations and finding which actors worked best together. And each season's blooper reel is especially telling, not so much for the goofs, but in how the actors reacted to each other's mistakes. Lots of good-natured teasing on those blown lines and clumsy falls.

There's one take of T'Pol where she's supposedly talking to the rock people in Vulcan language, and Blalock fumbles the nonsense syllables where she's supposed to say the word "akasa", but it comes out "a caca", and she immediately cracks up. It's almost as good as Leonard Nimoy's famous "The plants act as a suppository..."

Last edited by Melakon; March 27 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 08:07 PM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

[I really didn't want to post again after myself, but there haven't been any other comments in two days.]

I see my episode numbering sequence was off, as "Broken Bow" is officially counted as 2 episodes. So correcting for that with this entry.

1:05 - Unexpected

TV Blurb: Trip visits an alien ship, gets horizontal, and puts on a little weight.

The old gag of male pregnancy gets reworked here, frequently played for laughs, so this may qualify as Enterprise's first intentional comedy.

The early scenes on the Xyrillian ship do a good job with camera angles, lenses, sound distortion, and lighting to illustrate Trip's initial disorientation on the alien vessel. Intercutting of conversation with Enterprise suggests the distortion is all in Trip's head, as his communications voice on Enterprise sounds unaffected, with no struggling of speech. Technically, it's a pretty interesting sequence.

The concept of holodecks is introduced for the first time, chronologically speaking. A female Xyrillian takes a liking to Trip, shows him around the ship, and together they do some repair work. An unusual mindreading game is shared, though they make no physical contact.

Once back on Enterprise, Trip gradually becomes alarmed at unusual physiological changes he's experiencing, and then Phlox drops the bombshell. From here on, it's a series of situations with characters enjoying Trip's discomfort, with everyone making wisecracks (especially T'Pol, as snidely as Vulcans can muster).

With Klingons always being a laugh riot, a battlecruiser shows up (a D-7 variation, as they didn't have the money for a new ship yet). The Klingon captain threatens to destroy the Xyrillians until given a holodeck recreation of the homeworld ("I can see my house from here!").

In all, a pleasant little piece of fluff with no longlasting repercussions for the crew.

Last edited by Melakon; March 29 2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: took this long to realize I misspelled "pregnancy"
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 10:25 PM   #30
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

One thing I liked about Unexpected was how alien the aliens turned out to be. The male carries the fetus (almost like a seahorse), and sex happens via minerals. They don't know what water is. The ship has plants growing all over it. It's good an wacky in a lot of ways.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote