Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 26 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
secretreeve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trek Keyboards

So while the fire department puts out the gas boiler thats on fire over the road a thought crossed my mind.

Why dont we have more LCARS keyboards?

The traditional keyboard layout is adopted from type writers because when they where common place, it was the only layout that stopped the character hammers from getting tangled when typing relatively fast. The layout was translated into the PC world for familiarity and ease of transition.

But lets face it, the world changes. Voice recognition software is coming along and keyboards are becoming less and less important. So why not compact them, and change them to something more versatile like the LCARS type controls?

Sure, you can still use your generic old school keyboard but its time for a change and the entire way computers are being used is leaning more and more towards touch interfaces, so the traditional keyboard is soon going to find itself in a world where its no longer required. Why not make that change sooner?
secretreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek Keyboards

What about when you want to type text?
Old March 26 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
secretreeve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

thats the voice recognitions that take over, you wouldn't need to type really, just dictate.

Or the pads could just change mode from command type to text type, just a different layout.
Old March 26 2013, 09:48 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

secretreeve wrote: View Post
So while the fire department puts out the gas boiler thats on fire over the road a thought crossed my mind.

Why dont we have more LCARS keyboards?

The traditional keyboard layout is adopted from type writers because when they where common place, it was the only layout that stopped the character hammers from getting tangled when typing relatively fast. The layout was translated into the PC world for familiarity and ease of transition.
It wasn't just for that. The "QWERTY" format was also adopted because of its practicality in the office world. For skilled typists, the placement of letters allows words to be typed with the left hand, while the right hand has access both to the cursor buttons and the numeric keypad.
But lets face it, the world changes. Voice recognition software is coming along and keyboards are becoming less and less important. So why not compact them, and change them to something more versatile like the LCARS type controls?
Primarily because LCARS is just made up stuff for a TV show. Our heroes can do all sorts of stuff on LCARS interfaces, including typing text and codes with buttons marked only with tiny little numbers due to magic of TV.

But as far as keyboards becoming less and less important, I would argue that they would still be important as long as there's a need to write messages or text to people. They may disappear when the need for people to write does, though.
Old March 26 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
scotpens
Vice Admiral

There was a discussion on this topic some months ago. If you're going to type text with any degree of speed or efficiency, you need the tactile sensation of pressing individual keys. Touch screens just won't do the job. The traditional QWERTY keyboard layout has been around for more than 130 years, and it's not going to become obsolete anytime soon.
Old March 26 2013, 09:55 PM   #6
jayrath
Fleet Captain

Voice recognition software currently is still pretty awful.

Actually, I wonder why the helm isn't outfitted with a mouse.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:05 PM   #7
secretreeve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

jayrath wrote: View Post
Voice recognition software currently is still pretty awful.

Actually, I wonder why the helm isn't outfitted with a mouse.
cause if it was up to microsoft it'd be an over priced x=box controller not a mouse lol
Old March 27 2013, 12:12 AM   #8
_C_
Commander

^ And you'd need helmets for how often it crashes. *BURN*
Old March 27 2013, 01:01 AM   #9
secretreeve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

not forgetting something to hit when the "apps" dont to what they are meant to
Old March 27 2013, 05:50 AM   #10
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

thats the voice recognitions that take over, you wouldn't need to type really, just dictate.
In work in a newsroom with fifteen other people. Do you really think we should dictate everything we write out loud?
Old March 27 2013, 06:03 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

But I can type faster than I can talk. Plus voice recognition software can't seem to handle my accent.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Timo
Admiral

And if the computer can properly recognize your voice, what possible purpose could a keyboard of any sort serve? If you don't need a button for the letter G, why would you need a button for anything else, either?

As for touchscreens vs. tactile feedback, there's no reason the two should be mutually exclusive. Indeed, a keyboard where the keys are not physically protruding objects as such, but mere virtual creations with pseudo-physical characteristics (such as buzzing your finger when you press), would be advantageous in having the ability to move the key for letter G beneath your finger even when you are in danger of missing it.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:05 AM   #13
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
And if the computer can properly recognize your voice, what possible purpose could a keyboard of any sort serve?
I've cited a very convincing example just two posts above yours.
Old March 27 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Interestingly, they were far ahead of their time in the TOS pilots.

In "The Cage" / "The Menagerie" Spock was doing his "power point" presentation of the Talos star group by the move of his right hand without touching a panel or a button.

And in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" Gary Mitchell just activated a component on his console by letting his hand pass over the console without ever touching it.

Unfortunately, in "The Corbomite Maneuver" they went back to the traditional pushing of buttons.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

I've cited a very convincing example just two posts above yours.
You misunderstand - I wanted to postulate a hypothetical situation where voice recognition (or, say, telepathic recognition) works with absolute perfection, come hell or high water or the noises of a newsroom. It now perfectly takes your dictation. What then?

The OP seems to want an input device that does away with the inputting of text by typing. Well, now he has got it. What possible use could he now have for a keyboard, be it a dull QWERTY one or a flashy LCARS one? Everything he could ever want input can now be input the same way his keyboard-sidestepping dictation can.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote