Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Weight of Worlds.
Outstanding 8 19.51%
Above Average 22 53.66%
Average 8 19.51%
Below Average 3 7.32%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25 2013, 02:10 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I believe it has been established that JTK has only one nephew. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to hear about it.
That's ambiguous. "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" stated that George Samuel "Sam" Kirk had three sons. "Operation -- Annihilate!" later claimed that Peter Kirk was Captain Kirk's only surviving relative. Some fans have resolved the contradiction by assuming the other two nephews died sometime in the few months between those episodes, or that they died in the parasite attack but somehow went unmentioned. But several previous tie-ins have ignored the line from OA and depicted Kirk's three nephews. Bottom line, it's a continuity error and there's no consensus on how to resolve it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:26 AM   #17
E-DUB
Captain

I stand partially corrected.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

One more day until this the book is avaliable on my kindle
Old March 25 2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Awaiting notice of its mailing. ...
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:48 AM   #20
Reanok
Commodore

waiting for the book to come in the mail.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:53 PM   #21
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Woke up this morning and found it on my nook since I pre ordered it. So a great day also the stuff of dreams was there as well .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 05:42 PM   #22
RPJOB
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
E-DUB wrote: View Post
I believe it has been established that JTK has only one nephew. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to hear about it.
That's ambiguous. "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" stated that George Samuel "Sam" Kirk had three sons. "Operation -- Annihilate!" later claimed that Peter Kirk was Captain Kirk's only surviving relative. Some fans have resolved the contradiction by assuming the other two nephews died sometime in the few months between those episodes, or that they died in the parasite attack but somehow went unmentioned. But several previous tie-ins have ignored the line from OA and depicted Kirk's three nephews. Bottom line, it's a continuity error and there's no consensus on how to resolve it.
Trek works best if you look at it as examples from all the various universes. In Universe #1285 JTK has three nephews. In Universe #250 he only has one. In a similar fashion Universe #29042 we see a James Kirk with the middle initial of R. There are no continuity errors, just an infinite numer of universes, some quite similar, some remarkably different.

The run from TOS through ENT are fairly similar in their history. The 2009 movie is much more removed but still using the broad strokes.

It all fits.

Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which ones were true and which ones weren't?
Garak: My dear doctor...they're all true.
Bashir: Even the continuity errors?
Garak: Especially the continuity errors.
Old March 26 2013, 05:44 PM   #23
John Clark
Commodore

Came down the wire this morning. Pretty good so far
Old March 26 2013, 06:54 PM   #24
F. King Daniel
Admiral

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Trek works best if you look at it as examples from all the various universes. In Universe #1285 JTK has three nephews. In Universe #250 he only has one. In a similar fashion Universe #29042 we see a James Kirk with the middle initial of R. There are no continuity errors, just an infinite numer of universes, some quite similar, some remarkably different.

The run from TOS through ENT are fairly similar in their history. The 2009 movie is much more removed but still using the broad strokes.

It all fits.

Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which ones were true and which ones weren't?
Garak: My dear doctor...they're all true.
Bashir: Even the continuity errors?
Garak: Especially the continuity errors.
I find that a very unsatisfying way to look at it, since it's basically saying episode X didn't happen to the same crew we saw in episode Y or novel Z. I prefer to see all the episodes, movies and books (excepting the ones deliberately out-of-continuity) as windows into some "real" (for lack of a much-needed better word) Trek universe. Some windows are clear, others are fogged up to varying degrees, jumbling the details a bit.
Old March 26 2013, 07:03 PM   #25
Reanok
Commodore

I got my book today I'm looking forward to start reading this book after I finish reading another TNG novel.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 09:51 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

For what it's worth, I saw it on sale today at two stores in Newark, Delaware.

Glad to hear the electronic version is beaming in as well.
Old March 26 2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I find that a very unsatisfying way to look at it, since it's basically saying episode X didn't happen to the same crew we saw in episode Y or novel Z. I prefer to see all the episodes, movies and books (excepting the ones deliberately out-of-continuity) as windows into some "real" (for lack of a much-needed better word) Trek universe. Some windows are clear, others are fogged up to varying degrees, jumbling the details a bit.
Well, look at it this way: Maybe the same stories, the same events, happen in multiple parallel timelines, but with some of the details being different. So you are basically seeing an adventure that happened to the familiar crew, you're just seeing a slightly different version than the one they experienced. That's not so different from what you're proposing -- you are seeing a slightly off-kilter version of a story the Prime crew experienced, but because a slightly different timeline was selected rather than because the details were recorded wrong.

This is basically what the Voyager novel Echoes depicts outright -- many different parallel versions of Voyager arriving at the same planet at the same time and having essentially the same experiences for the most part (though with some major differences for some of them), but with subtle differences in the details, like one Voyager having a two-person helm console instead of one-person, one Chakotay having a different tattoo, and so on. The book portrays its cross-timeline events from the perspectives of three main crews, but it's indicated that there are thousands of other parallel crews experiencing much the same adventure in much the same way. Similarly with TNG: "Parallels" -- the first few timelines Worf jumps to are essentially the same as his own, meaning the same events must have happened, but some details happened differently.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:59 PM   #28
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, I saw it on sale today at two stores in Newark, Delaware.

Glad to hear the electronic version is beaming in as well.
Still wasn't at the store today, and Tony Daniel's book was still on the "Hot And New Paperbacks" shelf. Hopefully it'll be in before Easter.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 02:34 AM   #29
indianatrekker26
Captain

it finally showed up at my local B&N store. Strange thing was, they put the book in alphabetical order by author, and not in the star trek section. I almost didn't find it, until i looked in their system to find where they put it. I'm looking forward to starting it tonight before hitting the sack.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:28 AM   #30
RPJOB
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
Well, look at it this way: Maybe the same stories, the same events, happen in multiple parallel timelines, but with some of the details being different. So you are basically seeing an adventure that happened to the familiar crew, you're just seeing a slightly different version than the one they experienced. That's not so different from what you're proposing -- you are seeing a slightly off-kilter version of a story the Prime crew experienced, but because a slightly different timeline was selected rather than because the details were recorded wrong.

This is basically what the Voyager novel Echoes depicts outright -- many different parallel versions of Voyager arriving at the same planet at the same time and having essentially the same experiences for the most part (though with some major differences for some of them), but with subtle differences in the details, like one Voyager having a two-person helm console instead of one-person, one Chakotay having a different tattoo, and so on. The book portrays its cross-timeline events from the perspectives of three main crews, but it's indicated that there are thousands of other parallel crews experiencing much the same adventure in much the same way. Similarly with TNG: "Parallels" -- the first few timelines Worf jumps to are essentially the same as his own, meaning the same events must have happened, but some details happened differently.
By George, I think he's got it!

Exactly right Christopher. Mirror, Mirror showed us a universe that is quite different from the one we were used to seeing but most of the same people were still there but with significant differences. There was even an identical acid stain on McCoy's work table even though McCoy was probably the most humanistic of the characters and thus most unlike his mirror counterpart.

TAS had differences for TOS in ship layout, shuttlecraft, etc but the characters were still basically the same. TNG had the Ent-D saying thatthe space beyond Deneb was unexplored and yet we had references to Denebian Slime Devils and Kirk spoke of being on Deneb IV in WNMHGB, Apparently Starfleet went as far as Deneb and no further for a century or the Deneb IV's are different. And ley's not forget the slug like Denebians from the novels. Groppler Zorn didn't look much like a slug but he could be considered as slimy at times.

The advantage to my way of looking at it is that it expands the number of universes, giving us lots of new places to fit stories as opposed to trying to fit everything into two or three universes.