Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 25 2013, 01:50 PM   #151
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Gary7 wrote: View Post
If there was one idea that really hit me wrong in TMP, it was the whole "V'ger" naming thing. I mean, c'mon... the lettering on the side of the probe had carbon deposits masking out "oya", and so the probe ends up calling itself "V'ger"? I mean, how ridiculous is that? I don't care how you want to fan wank it, the idea was wrong. The memory circuits don't coincidentally get corrupt to match the lettering on the craft.

What they should have done was when opening the access panel, they see the name "VOYAGER" and registry number imprinted on the interior. Then they conclude that a data error resulted in corrupt memory of some core information, hence V'ger not knowing its original name correctly. That would've made more sense to me.
Reminds me of the old comment everyone makes, V'Ger has knowledge that spans the universe but it doesn't know how to wipe dirt off its own nameplate.
Old March 25 2013, 01:56 PM   #152
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

V'ger = advanced enough to create an android replica of Illia, to digitize entire solar systems and to brush off Klingon attacks like they're nothing.

V'ger = too stupid to wipe the muck off it's name plate.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Wormhole

Early drafts of the story (back when it was the Phase II pilot episode) called it N'sa.
Old March 25 2013, 01:58 PM   #153
The Wormhole
Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Early drafts of the story (back when it was the Phase II pilot episode) called it N'sa.
There's no way to pronounce that without giving the twist away.
Old March 26 2013, 01:25 AM   #154
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Should have gone with "N'md"
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:48 AM   #155
The Wormhole
Admiral

More like N'm'd. Though damned if I know how that's pronounced.
Old March 26 2013, 12:03 PM   #156
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

Did anyone mention children on a starship? I was 11 years old when TNG premiered and even I could see it as a blatant attempt to get kids my age to tune in. Things like that snap the already fragile reality of sci-fi shows.
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 02:27 PM   #157
ROBE
Commander

The bridge of TNG Enterprise looking like a hotel lobby.
Lets just put all these vital stations at the back were nobody can see them.
BORING!
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 05:51 PM   #158
RPJOB
Commander

Roddenberry's worst ideas? Pretty much all of his shows including, to a lesser degree Star Trek. His best idea was to bering in people Coon, Fontana and Jeffries. They are responsible for the best of Trek. Roddenberry could be good in the big ideas but his implementation of the details was usually pretty weak and often laughable. Given a choice of only watching the Non-Roddennberry episodes or the Roddenberry ones I'll take Coon/Fontana/almost anyone else over Gene's.
Old March 26 2013, 06:18 PM   #159
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

KarmicCurse wrote: View Post
Did anyone mention children on a starship? I was 11 years old when TNG premiered and even I could see it as a blatant attempt to get kids my age to tune in.
Brings to mind one of my prime complaints about Wesley.

Teens like to see people on shows who are popular, certainly within their own peer group. Wesley was largely shown to be isolated from his age group (we saw him among his peers once in ten forward). Wesley wanted to hang out with the ship's older officers.

As a draw for watchers in their mid teens through early twenties, Wesley was useless. Showing him as being "The In Guy,", even on just a few episodes, would have made him a lot more interesting to younger viewers.

Give him Trip's personality.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 08:03 PM   #160
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Roddenberry's worst ideas? Pretty much all of his shows including, to a lesser degree Star Trek. His best idea was to bering in people Coon, Fontana and Jeffries. They are responsible for the best of Trek. Roddenberry could be good in the big ideas but his implementation of the details was usually pretty weak and often laughable. Given a choice of only watching the Non-Roddennberry episodes or the Roddenberry ones I'll take Coon/Fontana/almost anyone else over Gene's.
I am the opposite: The 1st half of S1 is moodier; more like sci-fi shows set in Star Trek, rather than just-another-Trek episode as many became later; more wordsy (I like); featuring more crew going about crew life.

It got too cheerful, almost sappy, as Uhura/Sulu/Checkov got standardized as the-only-other-crewmen-of-note. And the universe got more civilized and starfleetized. YMMV
Old March 26 2013, 10:25 PM   #161
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

Also (although since Roddenberry left by Year Three he cannot be directly blamed) by the final season the writing was so stagnant 90 percent of all landing parties were only KirkSpockandMcCoy. They even stopped bringing along the cannon fodder security. So there was much less suspense left. And Scott, Uhura, Chekov and Sulu had less to do than in Year Two.
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 10:38 PM   #162
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

ROBE wrote: View Post
BORING!
Not to mention they made it impossible for Picard to have line of sight on anything not directly in front of him in the chair.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:39 AM   #163
RPJOB
Commander

plynch wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post
I am the opposite: The 1st half of S1 is moodier; more like sci-fi shows set in Star Trek, rather than just-another-Trek episode as many became later; more wordsy (I like); featuring more crew going about crew life.

It got too cheerful, almost sappy, as Uhura/Sulu/Checkov got standardized as the-only-other-crewmen-of-note. And the universe got more civilized and starfleetized. YMMV
I agree that it would have been better if we had a larger supporting cast. MASH is a good example of having background characters that can step into the spotlight for an episode or two each season. Rizzo, for example had some nice bits in a few episodes but he was never considered a major or even minor regular character, It would have been nice to see more of Kyle for example or Dr. M'Benga. Chekov and Sulu, being on the command track should have been leading a number of landing parties rather than simply tagging along with Kirk & Spock.

When Roddenberry was given the chance to submit a second pilot his story ideas were The Moega Glory and Mudd's Women. Not Trek's worst moment but neither set the tone as well as Peeple's Where No Mas Has Gone Before. Roddenberry was best at the broad strokes. Most other writers were better at telling compelling stories.
Old March 27 2013, 05:59 PM   #164
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
The music in TNG and all the subsequent Trek shows is the aural equivalent of wallpaper.
I would agree, except I would qualify it as TNG season 4 and later. TNG seasons 1-3 had some pretty darn good music. When Dennis McCarthy was let off the leash, he could write some very good music. And Ron Jones was excellent as well. I really like the season 1 music, which is far more melodic and makes uses of recurring themes and motifs, including the main title theme. And then, of course, Ron Jones' score to "The Best of Both Worlds" is outstanding. Even early season 4 has some good scores, such as Jones' score for "Booby Trap."

It was only around early- to mid-season 4 when they canned Jones and put McCarthy under tight restrictions that we ended up with sonic wallpaper.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 06:16 PM   #165
mos6507
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
ROBE wrote: View Post
BORING!
Not to mention they made it impossible for Picard to have line of sight on anything not directly in front of him in the chair.

There should always only be one chair in the center of the bridge, and it should swivel. It's iconic. The Enterprise-D and most other TNG shows broke that rule, which was bad.