Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 26 2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Next Microsoft OS "Windows Blue" leaked online

I don't know why people complain about Windows 8. I set my computer up in about half an hour and it was just as functional as Windows 7. I installed Classic Shell as a precaution but actually found myself using the start menu less. I don't use Metro very much mainly because the applications I use aren't in Metro so I have no need to visit it. Plus without a touch screen it's not as effective.

But I wouldn't describe it as horrible. Windows Blue with it's SkyDrive-pretending-to-be-iCloud with tight integration for backups etc looks quite good.
Old March 26 2013, 12:05 PM   #17
Mooch
Fleet Captain

"Windows Blue" is a Windows 8 update. I's not a new OS.

Although I would argue Windows 8 (or Windows 7 for that matter) are not new OS's either. They are just marketed that way.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:17 PM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I've been using Windows RT on my tablet for a couple of weeks and I love it. I still use Windows 7 on my home computer, but I wouldn't mind switching to 8.
Old March 26 2013, 04:17 PM   #19
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I don't know why people complain about Windows 8. I set my computer up in about half an hour and it was just as functional as Windows 7. I installed Classic Shell as a precaution but actually found myself using the start menu less.
It's not so much that Win8 is bad, but that it represents an ideological shift in Microsoft that's moving towards closed systems. You said it yourself, desktop mode in Win8 is not fully functional by default, to get the same sort of functionality as Win7 you have to download third party software. The OS by default tries to get you to use the new Start screen, and to use Modern apps that you can only purchase from the Windows Store. I'm sure Win8 has plenty of new stuff that makes it a worthwhile upgrade for you, the new task manager and file transfer UI's are particularly nice. But for me, and curmudgeons like me, I don't want to reward Microsoft with my money for moving in a direction I don't want them to go down, and as a consumer I can only vote with my wallet.
Old March 26 2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Pingfah wrote: View Post
That is a terrible name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.
Probably part of the naming scheme that brought us Windows Azure.

This is interesting, looks like it's an update for Windows 8 rather than a new OS. I've had a bit of experience with Windows 8 recently, setting up a laptop for a cousin and then a new PC for my parents, and I have to say I can see it working for my parents, I can see it working on a tablet for myself, but I can't see it being anything I want to run on a desktop or laptop.
So much so, in fact, that I need a new laptop myself and in my head Windows 8 isn't even an option. I'm either try and grab a windows 7 while still available or get a Windows 8 one and install Ubuntu or Mint on there.
The other option is a Chromebook, which hadn't really been something I'd considered until MS decided Windows 8 was the future.
Old March 26 2013, 07:35 PM   #21
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
I don't know why people complain about Windows 8. I set my computer up in about half an hour and it was just as functional as Windows 7. I installed Classic Shell as a precaution but actually found myself using the start menu less.
It's not so much that Win8 is bad, but that it represents an ideological shift in Microsoft that's moving towards closed systems. You said it yourself, desktop mode in Win8 is not fully functional by default, to get the same sort of functionality as Win7 you have to download third party software. The OS by default tries to get you to use the new Start screen, and to use Modern apps that you can only purchase from the Windows Store. I'm sure Win8 has plenty of new stuff that makes it a worthwhile upgrade for you, the new task manager and file transfer UI's are particularly nice. But for me, and curmudgeons like me, I don't want to reward Microsoft with my money for moving in a direction I don't want them to go down, and as a consumer I can only vote with my wallet.
Right on the money, though I do find the Metro interface to be less than intuitive.

This is Microsoft making change for change's sake. There's no reason not to have the Start menu in the classic desktop other than to force me to go in a direction in which I have no need to go.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 11:55 PM   #22
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
That is a terrible name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.
Now, the look ahead. With a remarkable foundation of products in market and a clear view of how we will evolve the company, product leaders across Microsoft are working together on plans to advance our devices and services, a set of plans referred to internally as “Blue.” - N.B. chances of products being named thusly are slim to none. And don’t start with the “so you’re telling me there’s a chance” bit.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...ing-ahead.aspx
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Microsoft: taking their best OS ever, and abandoning it for a completely shit business strategy.

Windows 7, cold dead hands, yada yada.
I agree fully. I have:
- Dell Dimension 2350 desktop running Windows XP
- Sony VAIO laptop running Windows 7, upgraded from the crapfest a.k.a. Vista
- Acer Aspire running Windows 7

I refuse to take advantage of the $14.95 Windows 8 "upgrade", choosing instead to vote with my wallet.

MS wants to find the next iOS marketing hit, but I choose not to join the bandwagon. Not everyone wants a tablet, especially on their PC or laptop.
Old March 27 2013, 07:06 AM   #24
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Now, the look ahead. With a remarkable foundation of products in market and a clear view of how we will evolve the company, product leaders across Microsoft are working together on plans to advance our devices and services, a set of plans referred to internally as “Blue.” - N.B. chances of products being named thusly are slim to none. And don’t start with the “so you’re telling me there’s a chance” bit.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...ing-ahead.aspx
Oh, I meant as a code name not as an actual product name.
Old March 29 2013, 05:47 PM   #25
bbailey861
Admiral

We all run laptops in this house with Windows 7. Debating on a new one with a larger screen - touchscreen this time, and windows 8. I've been playing with it and like what I see.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 05:27 PM   #26
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Rafael and I originally intended to write post this morning revealing that the official name of Windows 8 “Blue” will be Windows 8.1. But we got scooped. So now we can at least confirm this information is correct.

Mary Jo Foley beat us to the punch with Microsoft's Windows Blue looks to be named Windows 8.1 on ZDNet this morning. We’ve been MJF’d!

Anyway, she is correct: Windows 8 Blue will be officially named Windows 8.1. (And as noted in the first leaked build, the actual version number internally is 6.3.) And since there’s not a heck of a lot more to say about that, here’s an original screenshot.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/bl...lue-windows-81
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 08:10 PM   #27
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

That was my first thought as well. It's like they've finally decided to make their OS name a self parody.
Old April 2 2013, 08:20 PM   #28
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

WinSuperSite wrote:
First, there is a clear move to emphasize Metro over the desktop. If you had any hope that the firm was listening to the increasingly shrill complaints from the desktop crowd and would offer any form of concession at all, there is zero evidence of that in this build. Blue build 9364 is all about Metro or, more concisely, about removing the need to use the desktop as much as was required in the original release of Windows 8. It’s still a hybrid OS, of course, with both Metro and desktop “personalities.” But the desktop personality is being shunted further off to the side. Those who think this won’t continue over subsequent releases are delusional. Think about the command line in Windows over the years. That’s the desktop.
The rest is here.

I was really hoping they'd concede somewhat to desktop users, but apparently, their largest user base isn't important anymore in the face of tablets becoming far more numerous.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote